Starpery.com

Hand Ideas: Neoprene and Others

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Nada

Post by Nada »

tlsarl Member # 185 posted August 25, 2001 13:31
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man! Your links look like a copy of mine. I like the organization and presentation.
I can't find the topic where you mentioned the neoprene skeletal hand idea.
I like it. Milling or molding bones and joints fron one solid piece keep the cost down.

I know of a really strong, hard, flexible white plastic, but I can't remember if it is neoprene. I'd like to see your design ideas. I have a few of my own, but only in my head.

To get them positioned in the mold, how about applying little silicone spacers on the bones or in the molds using the same silcone used for the pour.

... Hello tlsarl... Thanks for the compliment. Sorry, that I had to drag your message, over here. But it does kind of fit the "Inventor's Corner", ya know.
( Obtw tlsarl, now, you can delete your message in the "Web Site Links for Dolls..." area. I am trying to keep, only, Links and related messages, in there. Thanks...)

... And it sounds like you read that Neoprene Hand Idea, from Love Doll Creations on YAHOO??? (Its in the Links under Clubs.) There, I was picturing a shaped Neoprene Skeletal structure for silicone dolls and others. (You know... The old Thick-Bone with Thin-Joints from Olde Halloween Days.)

And I thought that: "Having a general, partially "cupped" shape for any doll's Hand, would be a LOT better then re-shaping and re-bending Fingers, everytime that you moved a Doll." PLUS, it gives Robotic Muscles, a very nice "Recoil Spring" and natural re-alignment for straightening the Fingers, again. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

... Here's a decent Link for neoprene:
CHICAGO LATEX PRODUCTS - Natural and Synthetic Latex, Neoprene Casting Latex @ http://mc.net/~spartan/cl.htm
( It's in the Links Section.)

... And here's one from a Puppet Master. http://www.jimgamble.com/inside/inside_neo.html

... Getting these Neoprene Bones, pretty smooth, would be one major consideration. Or else, when they move around and they might SLICE their way, out of the soft silicone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corben_99
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Corben_99 »

Hey Nada,

Ever thought of using Stainless Steel welding rods for hand armatures???? Just cut pieced of the rods to match the joints of a hand. And bend the corners down. You can then spot weld them. And use a small bolt and nut with washers to make the joints.
Then weld the nuts so they don't come off. Do alot of grinding, and coat the whole things with plasti dip. ( That stuff for dipping tools! )

That way all you have to do is mold them. And Voila, Very sturdy hand skeletons done the el cheapo way!! They would very closely resemble the same thickness of wire in Matts Realdoll hands. You could probably make 2 hands for about $20.00 bucks total.

Versus hundreds of dollars. Forget the laser torch. Just use a plain old arc welder. And maybe with all the left over metal you can make a Bar B.Q. pit!!! hahahaha!! [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Nada

Post by Nada »

... Neoprene plastic, if done at just the right thickness, would provide a nice and VERY cheap, flexable "Bumper" Hand... ( If you "Bump Her Hand", they would be more prone to FLEX and not break or push-thru the very soft silicone Flesh. (That was a terrible PLAY on Words, there.)

Also these would, simply "DO", for some owners, who do not want their girls to GRAB, anything. Of course, if RealDoll or SuperBabe create a Hand Mold that provides a slightly Open Grip then this neoprene skeleton would be a simple re-mold. (Let's see: "Cheaper and Safer"... Not bad,,, for 2 out of 3. :-)

Add FingerNails that just pop-on and safely, POP-OFF, with 2 posts on each Nail for alignment and I would say that You are THERE!!! (In a very CHEAP manner, that is.) Also Removable Nails would be a lot more FUN to paint for us, novices, too...

(For the actual Molding process, when the silicone skin covers these FingerNail holes,,, inserting temporary pins into the FingerNail holes, would certainly HELP with finding these holes, again. (Then pressing on a FINISHED finger-tip would push these pins, upward. Remove the pin and then use a HOT, thin Soldiering Iron to drill the permenant hole. Then insert a plastic FingerNail to test.)

And of course, I am still WORRIED about Silicone and the softeners used in them, for dolls. For all that I know, these softeners will disolve neoprene, just, like it seems to do to other plastics. ( OUCH!!! ) [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif[/img]

INFORMATIONS