betterlovedoll.com

Wiil Admins Ever Update Search Tool to Incorporate Boolean?

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.
java2go
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Wiil Admins Ever Update Search Tool to Incorporate Boolean?

Post by java2go »

For the life of me, I can't find anything on this forum without endlessly scrolling because I can't use simple searches and include boolean search logic such as AND or NOT or use quotes for an exact phrase. Everything defaults to an "OR" search.
This would be nice. This is not 1988. Maybe time for an overhaul. I have been on here over 12 years and it still looks like Netscape lives here. Not trying to to be negative, but sometimes someone needs to speak up.
Thanks.

DG
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: Wiil Admins Ever Update Search Tool to Incorporate Boole

Post by DG »

I was kinda wondering what was up with the search too. I mean, I will input something and I will get all this other stuff, except for what I am looking for some of the time.
I love and have loved many dolls.
Former Dolls:
Samantha - SY 165cm Elf
Charles - IronTech male
Clint - IronTech male
Marcellus - Male Real Doll - Body A
Orion - Male Real Doll - Body A
Lance - WM Male #207 head
Larry - WM Male #207 head
Colt - Gabriel M1 Sinthetics Male
Dolls in Storage:
Laurence (aka Doc, Dorian, Beau) - Homemade fabric male doll
Trevor - Homemade Fabric male doll
Tristan - Homemade Fabric/Silicone hybrid male doll
Landon - WM Male #207 Head

Current Dolls
Lawrence - Homemade Fabric/Silicone hybrid male doll

moodflow

Post by moodflow »

java2go wrote:For the life of me, I can't find anything on this forum without endlessly scrolling because I can't use simple searches and include boolean search logic such as AND or NOT or use quotes for an exact phrase. Everything defaults to an "OR" search.
This would be nice. This is not 1988. Maybe time for an overhaul. I have been on here over 12 years and it still looks like Netscape lives here. Not trying to to be negative, but sometimes someone needs to speak up.
Thanks.
This entire forum engine feels extremely outdated.
Besides the pretty useless search function as you've described, it begs for an ability to permanently ignore selected threads/topics.
Checking back every day only to comb through 7 pages worth of topic listings you've seen a hundred times is extremely time-consuming when you're not interested in 75% of those.

dollCuriosity
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by dollCuriosity »

It seems I am not the only person to recently realise the search function on this site is sorely lacking in functionality.

Even trying to find two words together in a thread seems to be too much to ask of it...unless I am being a dummy that is?!

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Tsall »

Moved to the help forum.

There are at least four different search forms.
  • On the top right corner, it searched the whole site.
  • On every topic directly above the first post. This searches within the topic.
  • On every forum directly above the forum list. This searches within the forum.
  • And number four is the "Advanced Search". Reachable through the "Advanced Search" button on the top right corner.
Can you please be more precise which search form doesn't work as expected?

All of those search forms do their search with boolean AND by default. I just tried it.

Has any of you ever tried the "Advanced Search"?
It has many options and I usually find what I am searching for.
Mara (Dreamdoll Tania) - holiday trip (outdoor photos) and introduction
Lucia (Passiondolls 160cm Muscle Doll) - introduction and photos
Keira (Phicen Arhian Pirate) - outdoor adventures

java2go
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by java2go »

Thanks for the tip on the Advanced Search Form. For whatever reason, I never noticed. It helps a lot. Thanks for posting this information!

Sp0ngeWorthy
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Sp0ngeWorthy »

Plus phpBB is longstanding community forum project. While you certainly can, as an admin, edit code however you want, that tends to then break the upgrade tools when a new version is released. Current functionality isn't necessarily a result of the forum admins as much as it is the dev community.
WM 164-J Racquel Reborn
WM 162-E Racquel #336 & #162 - Retired

INFORMATIONS