Starpery.com

TPE dolls and glue?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Nackers
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

TPE dolls and glue?

Post by Nackers »

The nails and eyelashes have come off my WM Doll (the nails particularly didn't even last a week) and I was wanting to replace them. I'm wondering whether there are any gotchas when it comes to gluing on new nails and eyelashes. Is the standard nail glue and eyelash glue you'd use on a human harmful to TPE?

From what I can tell the nail glue is Cyanoacrylate, so basically superglue.

The eyelash glue appears to be a mix of rubber latex, cellulose gum and a bunch of long words that I think translate to preservatives and anti-bacterials.

If I'm going to do damage I'd rather just leave the nails and lashes off.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: TPE dolls and glue?

Post by Arthur1960 »

Hi there, yes the finger nails are attached with superglue so can be reattached with it. In fact I use it for a few other things too when doing repairs with my tpe gals as it will glue tpe however it needs to be used sparingly and with great care as it forms a nasty hard crust if you get any on the surface of the tpe. So I always apply a tiny drop using a cocktail stick and have a piece of tissue at hand to quickly dab any glue that goes where you don't want it. Nails are pretty straight forward, just dab a tiny bit on the inside of the nail and hold on the finger tip for 10 seconds. Just be careful none squirts out the sides as it will be a pain to shift. As for eye lashes, I just use the standard eye lash glue as it's more forgiving if you make a mistake whereas superglue isn't! Again I apply the eye lash glue onto the eye lash with a cocktail stick and carefully reattach. It takes a steady hand and some patience but it's one of those things that becomes easier the more times you do it. Hope that helps.

dbenzguy
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by dbenzguy »

I find that Loctite 401 works best for glueing nails and eyelashes to my dolls.

It only takes a very little bit and like typical "super glue" it likes to stick to you more than anything else ;)

Unlike typical "super glue", it seems to hold up better, even after several showers and such.

I usually barely wet the tip of a toothpick in order to apply.

Nackers
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Nackers »

Thanks for the suggestions. Very good to know that neither glue should be a problem and I'll definitely follow the less is more suggestion til I get used to it.

The loctite is cyanoacrylate as well, but maybe it's a slightly different formula. I've found there is a world of difference between different brands of "superglue" so it might be worth a try. Thanks.

Mitchell Hart
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mitchell Hart »

Arthur1960 wrote:Hi there, yes the finger nails are attached with superglue so can be reattached with it. In fact I use it for a few other things too when doing repairs with my tpe gals as it will glue tpe however it needs to be used sparingly and with great care as it forms a nasty hard crust if you get any on the surface of the tpe. So I always apply a tiny drop using a cocktail stick and have a piece of tissue at hand to quickly dab any glue that goes where you don't want it. Nails are pretty straight forward, just dab a tiny bit on the inside of the nail and hold on the finger tip for 10 seconds. Just be careful none squirts out the sides as it will be a pain to shift. As for eye lashes, I just use the standard eye lash glue as it's more forgiving if you make a mistake whereas superglue isn't! Again I apply the eye lash glue onto the eye lash with a cocktail stick and carefully reattach. It takes a steady hand and some patience but it's one of those things that becomes easier the more times you do it. Hope that helps.
I need to do this on Jettie's lower eye lash.
Lovely Everly (WM 5’2 157b 62 lbs 159 face)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=136966

EVERLY My blonde baby doll!
viewtopic.php?f=215&t=137005

Sweet Cocoa Puffs (Jettie) YL 148D
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=142265

Railgun
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Railgun »

Is the eyelash adhesive tacky but non-permanent?

I'd like something that sticks, but a weak adhesive that can be removed easily, like a post-it note or blue tack. But also something that's not going to dissolve TPE or leave a nasty residue.

Mitchell Hart
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mitchell Hart »

Railgun wrote:Is the eyelash adhesive tacky but non-permanent?

I'd like something that sticks, but a weak adhesive that can be removed easily, like a post-it note or blue tack. But also something that's not going to dissolve TPE or leave a nasty residue.
I agree, trying to find something to attach none end of lower eyelash myself.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Railgun wrote:Is the eyelash adhesive tacky but non-permanent?

Yes standard eye lash glue is exactly like that. I apply tiny amounts to either the eye lash or more likely to the eye lid using a cocktail stick. I then wait a minute or two before attaching the eye lash one corner at a time, pressing it home onto the lid with another cocktail stick. The eye lash glue will come off easily if you accidentally get some on the face or whatever. Superglue will, of course, stick better and for longer but is less forgiving if you make a mistake.

BigJoeBuck
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by BigJoeBuck »

i use standard eyelash glue its a bit of pickle to apply but tooth pics and tweezers help
"love is the only engine of survival"-Leonard Cohen

"all those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain"-roy batty

there are only three kinds of people those who make things happen those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened

Mitchell Hart
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mitchell Hart »

dbenzguy wrote:I find that Loctite 401 works best for glueing nails and eyelashes to my dolls.

It only takes a very little bit and like typical "super glue" it likes to stick to you more than anything else ;)

Unlike typical "super glue", it seems to hold up better, even after several showers and such.

I usually barely wet the tip of a toothpick in order to apply.
Ok interesting looking for something to attack lower eyebrow that half loose.

john1972
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by john1972 »

I am glad I found this..
I have a new TPE girl that moved in with me that has
some loose nails and one half of one of her lashes come undone
so I will try it.
I did try some supper glue on a couple nails and did not stick.
I think oils have built up under the nails ..
Not sure how Ill manage to clean that off before trying again.

INFORMATIONS