Starpery.com

Arthur's tpe doll repair thread inc. Rachel's resurrection

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Arthur's tpe doll repair thread inc. Rachel's resurrecti

Post by Arthur1960 »

Hi stoney and thanks. I know how important our gals are to us so when I make a new discovery I want to share so folk can avoid any of my mistakes or take advantage of any fixes I discover. Re the mask I use when working, it's one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7in1-6200-Ha ... 635-2958-0

Ideally you want the original 3m version but I recently got a copy and it's still good and you can use the 3m cartridges with it. You need to adjust the straps to get a good fit and I still use a fan to blow any vapour away from me when I'm working.

stoney
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by stoney »

Thanks Arthur got one on order now.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Athena has just had her wash and oiling and I realised her WM158D bod will be 4 years old in a few weeks, while her 56 head isn't far off 5 years old. So it's a good time to review her condition and to see whether I've got the balance right regarding oiling etc. So let's look at the damage first, she now has just the 2 broken finger wires, a pinkie on one hand and a thumb on the other. I've previously fixed these with a little JB Weld but they are loose again so may try simply replacing the wire with the stuff I now use for whole finger wire replacements while keeping the original ones in place. Her bod has the familiar little cracks you get in the groin area which are visible in these pics but they are not deep and when the legs are opened they don't really show so I will resist the urge to do anything about them as it would almost certainly make things worse. I've found even applying heat to 'relaxed' tpe that has been subjected to frequent stretching is still likely to 'unzip' the material even if you put the limbs in a neutral position. If there were deep cracks there then I would probably try filling them with a tpe paste but for now she's fine as she is. Her nipples are looking a little bit worn so I may try some very delicate smoothing with heat using a small nozzle and a sculpting tool, it can be done with just a few seconds of heat carefully directed.

Skeleton wise all the joints have good tension aside from her left wrist which has worked loose and I may try to tighten at some point. Moving down to the feet, they look pretty good although there's a small hole in the right foot which looks as though I did a repair some time ago but a bubble must have formed to leave a perfectly round hole but it's too small to be an issue. So as for the rest of the body, the tpe still looks and feels fine and after being oiled and powdered she feels as good as new. The tpe is a firmer blend which no doubt means it's more robust and looking at her head I couldn't see any issue at all which is impressive for one that's nearly 5 years old.

So in summary I feel confident that my current regime of washing and oiling around every 5 months is about right for most of my Jinsan dolls in the climate we have here.The tiny bit of surface cracking in the groin is almost certainly down to the fact I have been leaving Athena standing with her legs slightly too far apart (she stands permanently) and although this damage is usually associated with a gal that's busy in the bedroom in this case I'm sure it's not that based on what I've seen with my other gals. In fact some of my gals that get a lot of attention still have pretty smooth looking groin areas so I suspect having the legs too far apart is a worse culprit for this particular issue.

I thought I would add this post to my repair thread as I see a lot of new dolls owners concerned about the longevity of their treasured ladies but I think that once you learn what works best for your gal then there's reason to be optimistic. Of course there are other factors that will determine how well a doll holds up and clearly if she gets a lot of attention then wear and tear is inevitable, especially if you are washing her out internally which is why I personally prefer to use femidoms to remove the need for this. It's worth adding though that Athena has been a busy gal, going out on trips and is not a stranger to the bedroom!
Attachments
Lumii_20211108_111440062_resize_64.jpg
Lumii_20211108_111440062_resize_64.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1097 times
Lumii_20211108_111802508_resize_67.jpg
Lumii_20211108_111802508_resize_67.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1097 times
Lumii_20211108_111644649_resize_39.jpg
Lumii_20211108_111644649_resize_39.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1097 times
Lumii_20211108_112034328_resize_92.jpg
Lumii_20211108_112034328_resize_92.jpg (754.97 KiB) Viewed 1097 times

bigchilli
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by bigchilli »

Awesome stuff buddy :thumbs_up: Athena still looking magnificent

Absolutely love this thread

You are the master :glou:

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

The immaculate condition of the feet around the bolts says it all :)

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Arthur's tpe doll repair thread inc. Rachel's resurrection

Post by Arthur1960 »

I thought I would share a few observations about the WM155DD bod that I was given about 4 years ago that had been heading for the recycling centre. Well, after my initial repairs this bod became Rachel and then when I could no longer save the hands, they were removed and Rachel became a kind of hybrid/cyborg with a pair of replacement wooden hands! This year I realised that when I removed the hands I should have cut away the old tpe further up the arm. Basically where the tpe had prolonged contact with the old copper wire from the original fingers it had reacted and begun to lose its integrity. When this happens it seems to me the best option is to just cut it away till you get to good tpe, so one tip I would definitely pass on is whenever you suspect a finger wire is broken and copper wire could be in contact with tpe then don't leave it too long to do something! Now this bod is a very early WM155DD from 2016 and it's possible that the wire used by the Jinsan factories changed a few times since then and now, of course, we have the steel articulated palm plates and fingers so hopefully there's no copper anywhere in our newer ladies (although it could still be in the toe wire, which is obviously still wrapped in string). Now for some good news, I've just done a wash and oiling for this bod, possibly the first since 2020 and I was amazed and how well the rest is holding up, where the tpe was not damaged it's fine, in fact the boobs still look new! and there are no cracks in either the groin or the armpits etc. This is quite impressive considering the condition Rachel was in when she arrived here, I seriously thought the bod was beyond repair at the time so I'm glad I stuck with it as it's been a really handy opportunity to learn how to work with the material. So for now Bianca is using the bod while I do some work to Rachel's 46 head. Where I removed the tpe from the arms I've just used simple pipe lagging to pad out the skeleton so that the cyborg suit fits.
Attachments
Lumii_20220905_190500928.jpg
Lumii_20220905_190500928.jpg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 906 times
Lumii_20220911_172418831.jpg
Lumii_20220911_172418831.jpg (3.36 MiB) Viewed 906 times
Lumii_20220911_171738892.jpg
Lumii_20220911_171738892.jpg (3.57 MiB) Viewed 906 times
Lumii_20220911_171531692.jpg
Lumii_20220911_171531692.jpg (3.97 MiB) Viewed 906 times
Lumii_20220911_172036651.jpg
Lumii_20220911_172036651.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 906 times

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Nice job with the recovery !!
Your finished effect on the wooden hands looks quite nice, very realistic.
I think she will have a bright future as a sexy cyborg model.
Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Aesthetically the suit does a brilliant job of turning a badly damaged doll into a beautiful sight :)
And pipe lagging, who'd a thought that would be a simple yet robust solution :thumbs_up:

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Thanks Wheezer, yeah I was rather pleased with the way the hands turned out. I just had to sink a nut into the base of each hand and then they screw onto the threaded rod that is bolted into the fore arm tube section, as I recall I cut off the palm plates in order to use their threaded rod but on reflection I should have got some threaded rod off eBay and then I could have used the old palm plates as spares for another gal.
Hi and thanks seagull, yeah I tend to try and use what I have laying about in my garage and I had some of that lagging from another project. It dawned on me that as she will always be wearing that suit then the lagging would be perfect and you really can't tell when the suit is on. Of course the other option would be to create a full on cyborg look with exposed skeletal parts and the thought did cross my mind as the steel tube sections do polish up nicely! 😁
Attachments
Lumii_20220912_194504092.jpg
Lumii_20220912_194504092.jpg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 853 times

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

I think you are on to something with the cyborg look.
Add some multi colored wires, tubing and mechanical bits to the arms and you are there.
Perhaps "skin" it with a clear wrap to emulate skin and protect the bits.
Just a thought.
Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Wheezer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:16 pm I think you are on to something with the cyborg look.
Add some multi colored wires, tubing and mechanical bits to the arms and you are there.
Perhaps "skin" it with a clear wrap to emulate skin and protect the bits.
Just a thought.
Cheers!
... W ...
Cheers Wheezer, those are some excellent ideas which should be relatively simple and cheap too once I've had a rummage in the garage!

Ok, thought I'd make a post regarding the on going (and probably never ending) debate about whether to feed oil to tpe as part of any maintenance regime. As per usual, anything I say is not based on any clever science so should be taken with a chunk of salt. Like many, back in 2016, I began to oil my first couple of tpe dolls on a monthly basis after seeing reports that this may act to increase the life span of a tpe doll. It took me well over a year to begin to suspect that while the oil massage was a pleasurable experience it may not be needed quite as frequently as I was doing it and by late 2017 I was seeing posts that too much oil/vaseline could actually degrade tpe. So it was around this time that my Athena got her new WM158D bod (Dec 2017) and in fact it was probably around 8 months before she got her first oiling. Now I noticed that the tpe of this 158D bod seemed a better quality then my previous 4 dolls and so I determined that I would not oil Athena so often and indeed cut back on the others too. In 2018 I received a new doll from OR and as an experiment decided not to oil her at all. Within 10 months I began to see the tell tale signs of the tpe 'drying out' with tiny cracks appearing in certain areas subject to occasional stress. So these were fixed with heat and she got an oiling. Since then I've been gradually scaling it back and so for my dolls made before 2019 I tend to give them an oiling every 5 or 6 months but I avoid adding any oil to the hands or wrists as the tpe is just too thin here so it's too easy to over saturate it with oil.

Now I would say that all my dolls that have arrived here in the past 2 years are a little different, inasmuch their tpe just seems better, retains its oil better and just doesn't seem to be so prone to issues developing (although in time I'm sure there will be stuff that needs attention). So my first rule is, not to even consider oiling a newer doll for at least the first 8 months and then do it sparingly keeping an eye on how quickly the oil is absorbed. If the doll is still very tacky after several hours then clearly the oil wasn't needed. I'm actually very tempted to again experiment with a new doll and not add any oil at all for at least a year then have a really good look to see what I can find. For now my post 2020 gals get an oiling around every 8 months, again avoiding the hands.

So back to Athena here, I think she's a good example to indicate that I'm on the right track. Her 158D bod will soon be 5 years old and her head is several months older than that. I've just given her an oiling and this morning she had a good powdering. The majority of her bod is as good as new, there are those tiny stretch marks you get in the groin but they are barely noticeable. She has a loose wrist joint that I'm not too fussed about and she now has the thumb and pinky finger wires broken on both hands making her a candidate for finger wire replacement when I can do it. Other than that I'm impressed at how well she's holding up, especially as she's been a very busy photo model while also not being a stranger to the bed room!
Attachments
Lumii_20221022_114040245.jpg
Lumii_20221022_114040245.jpg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 775 times
Lumii_20221022_113753737.jpg
Lumii_20221022_113753737.jpg (5.49 MiB) Viewed 775 times

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

I know I've posted about this before but it's such an important point I thought I would mention it again as more folk seem to be experiencing a few issues with their gel enhanced ladies, mainly in the way of slight depression's forming in the upper breast area. While this is a relatively simple fix, by injection of a little air into the breast cavity, prevention is obviously better than cure. So take Mia here as an example, she has been with me exactly 2 years and is one of 5 dolls I have here with gel, she also happens to have the biggest boobs, being a WM161G (although she's more like an H cup). From the beginning I could see that she would need to wear a decent bra for much of the time as her boobs are both heavy and pendulous and while the newer tpe is pretty resilient stuff it still can't hold the effects of gravity at bay for ever! I decided on using maternity 'comfort' bra's for Mia as they are non wired, have wider straps and more rows of hooks to get a good fit. The one she has on here is actually a nursing bra as it has the option of unhooking the cups for quick access plus it has a little extra space in the nipple area that stops the nipple from getting squashed. I've several of these bra's all made by Bravissimo under their Royce label and can't recommend them strongly enough as I'm convinced they are what has kept Mia's magnificent mammaries looking as good as when she arrived! Of course she does still go topless for the occasional photoshoot (well actually all of them!) and of course for those times I can lure her upstairs to the bedroom but otherwise she keeps her babies well holstered. Oh excuse the stain, which I only just noticed, I think Mia must have spilt some of her morning coffee! So do your gal a favour if she has big boobs with gel and get her some support, she will thank you for it! 😉
Attachments
Lumii_20221111_125204698.jpg
Lumii_20221111_125204698.jpg (4.93 MiB) Viewed 709 times
Lumii_20221111_124936901.jpg
Lumii_20221111_124936901.jpg (5.21 MiB) Viewed 709 times

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

That's now in my resource file :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Well this is a new one on me. Today I was doing Sophia's wash and oiling and found this damage on the bottom of both her feet. As she is one of my non standing gals I was initially surprised but then remembered that I had been extending the period between oiling for all my dolls and it was probably 6 months since Sophia was last done. The damage is classic tpe separation after 'drying' out and as Sophia is nearly 6 years old it's clear that the older tpe needs a more frequent application of oil so I will probably go back to 4 monthly for her. Luckily such damage is easily fixed with heat and suffice to say my gal has now had a good oiling!
Attachments
IMG_20221121_180226.jpg
IMG_20221121_180226.jpg (5.58 MiB) Viewed 727 times
IMG_20221121_180302.jpg
IMG_20221121_180302.jpg (5.25 MiB) Viewed 727 times

INFORMATIONS