Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

boy toy skull cap

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to RealDoll, including RealDoll2, Wicked RealDoll and BoyToy

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

sosickofit

boy toy skull cap

Post by sosickofit »

Hi, was wondering if anyone knew why the skull cap was so heavy? i just removed mine to fix floppy head syndrome and the inside of the skull cap is reinforced with a lot of whatever its made out of. thinking about shaving it down to lessen the weight. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you guys
"A man drinks like that and he don't eat he is going to die"

-Blazing Saddles

sosickofit

Re: boy toy skull cap

Post by sosickofit »

Nothing? Hmmm... it is kind of a general question and my doll is 2010 so maybe the skull caps are different now? If anyone has any info on this or taken apart a newer dolls head can you please help? I would rather buy a light weight skull cap from Joe if they are available then modify this one. I want as little stress on her neck as possible

-Blazing Saddles

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

sosickofit wrote:Nothing? Hmmm... it is kind of a general question and my doll is 2010 so maybe the skull caps are different now? If anyone has any info on this or taken apart a newer dolls head can you please help? I would rather buy a light weight skull cap from Joe if they are available then modify this one. I want as little stress on her neck as possible
It's probably silicone.

I think the newer ones are made of foam or plastic, I noticed a while back the skull caps are white now.

I don't know if they would fit older model doll so yes, it's best to check with Joe.
My Doll Album is here!

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

You need to drill out the neck rivets and install lock nuts and bolts to properly fix floppy head syndrome.

There is a thread on how to do this somewhere around here.
My Doll Album is here!

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Here, if you missed it: http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 86#p620286

Interesting that BT3s are completely redesigned and appear to have the problem also.

My 2009 model never had the problem.
My Doll Album is here!

sosickofit

Post by sosickofit »

I did see the new setup and you have to cut into her next to the hanging bolt to tighten :thumbs_down: I used the vice grip method to cure her of FHS and it worked great! no drilling or dremel needed! :D

-Blazing Saddles

sosickofit

Post by sosickofit »

Tks for the input @ks. It is puzzling...they might think about going back to the OG model

-Blazing Saddles

deerman
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Just past the pond, the last deer trail on the left

Post by deerman »

ks wrote:Here, if you missed it: http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 86#p620286

Interesting that BT3s are completely redesigned and appear to have the problem also.

My 2009 model never had the problem.
The older Boy Toys used the same design as the older Real Dolls an allen wrench with a open end wrench tightens the head up quickly and stays tight for a long time. :D

sosickofit

Post by sosickofit »

"allen wrench with a open end wrench" ???? or did you mean.. allen bolt to a nut? elaborate please

-Blazing Saddles

deerman
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Just past the pond, the last deer trail on the left

Post by deerman »

sosickofit wrote:"allen wrench with a open end wrench" ???? or did you mean.. allen bolt to a nut? elaborate please
5/8 open end wrench and a 5/16 allen wrench a 2008 Boy Toy. Insert wrenches and tighten! :D
Attachments
DSC05902.JPG
DSC05902.JPG (847.2 KiB) Viewed 5056 times
DSC05901.JPG
DSC05901.JPG (650.16 KiB) Viewed 5056 times

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

DSC05901.JPG
DSC05901.JPG (89.3 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
deerman wrote:
sosickofit wrote:"allen wrench with a open end wrench" ???? or did you mean.. allen bolt to a nut? elaborate please
5/8 open end wrench and a 5/16 allen wrench a 2008 Boy Toy. Insert wrenches and tighten! :D

The bolt you refer to will tighten, loosen the head swivel in a side to side motion... as in shaking her head 'no'

The bolt that control 'floppy head syndrome' is in the neck. On a 2008 model : Tip her head back and pull the neck silicone down on the side an inch or two and you will see it. This controls the tightness of her head nodding in an up / down motion as if nodding her head 'yes'

With 'floppy head syndrome' dolls heads flops down and she stares down at the ground, can't hold her head up.

My 2009 model has never suffered from 'floppy head syndrome' but if it did it's easy to tighten with wrenches.

Newer models switched these bolts to rivets which quickly wear loose and then require drilling out and replacement with bolt to repair 'floppy head' syndrome.

And the current BT3s need surgery to fix the problem, although they did get rid of the rivets and went back to nut and bolts so you can just tighten it back up.
My Doll Album is here!

sosickofit

Post by sosickofit »

This looks like a much better setup than a BT2 or BT3. Remove the skull cap and tighten up the neck! Simple! And I have an ingenious way of fixing fhs without drilling or a dremel. If your like me the idea of a spinning tool in close proximity to silicone is a bad idea.

-Blazing Saddles

Sheeana
Doll
Doll

Post by Sheeana »

Just tightened up a loose neck.. My head wouldn't turn keep flopping bak to center... So I had this weird outofbody trip while Burnthostage fixed me up.

Don't ever do that to me again!!
Attachments
I dunno wuts goin on.. I don't feel my everything...
I dunno wuts goin on.. I don't feel my everything...
image.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 4805 times
My introduction/pictures post: http://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=53624

My Doll Album: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/th ... album=7283

Never Give Up, Never Surrender!
- Galaxy Quest

"Now that's a wave of destruction that's easy on the eyes!"
- Zap Branigan, Futurama
(commenting on the horde of rampaging Lucy Liu androids)

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

There is a small allen/hex adjustment atthe rea rof the neck joint to correct the side to side wobbliness. The top hole is for the set screw to attach the head to the neck joint.
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0130.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 4387 times
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

karpos
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by karpos »

TJ_Foxx wrote:There is a small allen/hex adjustment atthe rea rof the neck joint to correct the side to side wobbliness. The top hole is for the set screw to attach the head to the neck joint.
IMG_0130.JPG
Yep just had the same issue on my 2014 BT and just had to pop her head off and adjust the secondary allen screw and she now is fine again. Also allowed me to reposition her neck so her oral device slid in properly. Took me maybe 15mins to fix at the most.
Karpos (transliteration of the Ancient Greek noun meaning fruit)

My Girls: Vanima, PIB GND (2015) Mina head, Neoti, PIB BB (2009) Fujiko head (2015), Linara BT3 2014 Star, Syn'tras'kha PIB BB (2012) Paris head (2016)
Vani's photo thread Vani's main thread Neoti's intro thread Linara's intro thread

Appears we got here just in the nick of time, what does that make us?

Big Damn Heroes, sir
Ain't we just

INFORMATIONS