www.yourdoll.com

Hosiery 101 Class

Clothing, footwear, hats, gloves, jewelry, etc. Store bought, modified and handmade.
SinsuaLuvr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Hosiery 101 Class

Post by SinsuaLuvr »

Quite a few men prefer and favor those big breasts. Not me…. While I do adore womanly chesty curves, only a handful is good enough. However a select segment of us, much prefer the lower half including legs, buns and feet. Along those lines, “legmen” (or rare woman) usually also have fetishes that include heels and hosiery. Usually the term hosiery will conjure images of socks, but also includes nylons, body stockings, tights, sheer pantyhose, stockings, thigh-highs, fishnets and knee-highs.

HISTORY
It’s a little sad that these items are very rarely worn by women these days beyond ubiquitous socks. Most hosiery garments are made by knitting methods. Typically used for warmth or favored for adding comfort and moisture wicking with shoes. Modern hosiery is usually tight-fitting by virtue of stretchy fabrics. Due to its close fit, most hosiery can be worn as an undergarment, but it is more commonly worn as a combined under/outer garment and for fashion. Hosiery garments are the product of knitting or machined produced from wide array of yarn. Like the yarn used for making woven hats or gloves, hosiery yarn comes from a spinning process that creates long strong and flexible threads. Individual threads are interwoven and blended with others in a crisscross pattern with specialized circular knitting machines to create shaped and form-fitting fabric. One or more yarn types are used to make knitted or spun hosiery fabric from natural cotton, wool, silk or synthetic materials like nylon, spandex or lycra.

Hosiery became thinner and more see thru (sheer) in the 1920s and became a must have fashion clothing item in the 1940s. Fashion of these times dictated that women were not fully dressed or “finished” without hosiery. Like formal hats for men, women rarely went outside the home without stockings and it would be frowned upon socially for not wearing stockings. There used to be an age related right of passage point as teen girls looked forward to the day they received their first sheer stockings instead of children socks…officially entering womanhood. Hosiery and stockings became synonymous with makeup for legs. It created an even appearance, offered fashionable colors and tinting for pale leg complexion or concealing skin flaws. Cottons, wool or silk were most common materials.

With the advent of nylon production, nylon became a favorable material as it was stronger sheer and cheaper. Sheer stockings with nylon soon became synonymous with the material and simply referred to as “nylons”. Sheer Hosiery of the time was still incredibly fragile and prone to tears or runs. Until 1960s, Stocking or nylons were essentially long sheer socks that came up high on the thigh. These were held up in place on each leg by a garter belt. Pantyhose was the next innovation that connected each stocking leg into a panty which eliminated the need for garters. Newly developed synthetic materials like lycra and spandex were introduced significantly softening and adding strength and longevity.

First off, Let’s clarify each of these common hosiery types as they are often used interchangeably. However, they actually refer to separate and specific hosiery items.

TIGHTS
Tights or leggings are typically not see through or opaque and thicker usually made of cotton and spandex/Lycra. These have integrated woven legs and panty. These are also usually warmer and offered in a wide array of patterns and colors or textures. I’ll include here the similar items like fishnet or fencenet fashion tights that include a much looser knitting pattern but at a distance still offers a finishing or tinting effect for fashion.
Opaque tights
Opaque tights
IMG_1571.jpeg (43.82 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Fishnet
Fishnet
IMG_1565.jpeg (61.81 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Fencenet
Fencenet
IMG_1566.jpeg (71.95 KiB) Viewed 626 times
PANTYHOSE
Pantyhose include the legs material into an integrated panty (duh) but are generally sheer (see through). They are offered in many colors including skin tones but also colors for matching fashion or contrasts. Pantyhose can popularly be found in control-top or support panty which offers higher elastic compression yarns and materials that are intended to flatten and give the abdomen a tighter appearance or alternatively with no support known as “sheer to waist”. Compression or massage hosiery also has therapeutic uses that gives legs a massaging effect and enhancing blood circulation in legs. Another term usually found and to be considered is reinforced or sheer toe. Reinforced toe offers slightly stronger materials around the toes to keep toenails from causing poke thru holes or tears. Gussets are also typically induced into the panty and crotch area to allow improved comfort and breathability. Gussets are usually a cotton panel which inherently makes wearing panties with pantyhose redundant and especially unnecessary (unless your fetish prefers).
Seamless pantyhose with no gusset in crotch
Seamless pantyhose with no gusset in crotch
IMG_1567.jpeg (93.21 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Control top and noted color tone difference in panty
Control top and noted color tone difference in panty
IMG_1605.jpeg (54.06 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Reinforced to with clear color shading difference
Reinforced to with clear color shading difference
IMG_1579.jpeg (37.3 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Gusset cotton panel
Gusset cotton panel
IMG_1584.jpeg (198.01 KiB) Viewed 626 times
STOCKINGS and THIGH-HIGHS
Thigh highs go up to the upper thigh and held up with elastic banding. Stockings are similar to thigh high but necessitate a garter belt to keep them from slipping/rolling down. Knee highs are hosiery like stockings that go to just below knees (like socks) with varying sheerness or compression. These also come in reinforced toes, and seamed with a fashion line running up the back of the leg. Original stockings were made from flat yarns sheets and sewn into tube leg shapes, resulting in the telltale seam up the back of the leg and across toes.
Sheer toe (not reinforced)
Sheer toe (not reinforced)
IMG_1580.jpeg (174.27 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Stockings with garters
Stockings with garters
IMG_1570.jpeg (52.18 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Back seam and reinforced Cuban heels stockings
Back seam and reinforced Cuban heels stockings
IMG_1568.jpeg (27.98 KiB) Viewed 626 times
DENIER and SHEER
Denier is a measurement of thickness and sheerness of the yarn weave. Hosiery of 7 denier is very light/transparent and nearly invisible against the skin. Most Leggs/Hanes and US department store brands are 15 denier. Tights usually are starting at 30 denier or higher. The chart below demonstrates how the exact same color (black) changes appearance and coverage as denier gets higher.
Denier color and coverage differences
Denier color and coverage differences
IMG_1583.jpeg (278.22 KiB) Viewed 626 times
FITMENT and MATERIALS
One size does not necessarily fit all!! Fitting is usually easy - as almost ALL brands having fitting charts right on the package (usually the back). Find your doll height and round down if between sizes. Weight is also usually listed on fitting charts but not very helpful for dolls.

Dark colored hosiery should be washed and rinsed until water is clear prior to contact with your doll to avoid staining. Nylon/polyester blends does not dye well or hold color well and will more easily stain/ color transfer to TPE/silicone. Identifying quality silky hosiery is key. There is a wide perception (especially with women) that hosiery is uncomfortable and scratchy. If it feels rough it is cheaply made and typically low quality. Read the package: Run if you see 100% nylon - it is scratchy and feels like sandpaper or a bad '70s polyester nightmare. Not fun for you or your doll! Nylon and polyester is essentially plastic fishing line stretched very thin.
Look for yarn blends that use silk, spandex or Lycra....these materials are very smooth, soft, satiny and very silky. Shop for a content blend of no more than 90% nylon and 10% Lycra or spandex or silk. The lower the nylon percentage typically indicates the softer and silkier the hosiery will feel. Lycra and spandex can also give hosiery a matte or shine effect. AGAIN-100% nylon is very cheap and rough and can have a sandpaper like texture. This rougher characteristic partially led to sheer hosiery loosing favor for women.

WEAR and CARE
Hosiery remains fairly fragile. I recommend you wear gloves especially with very sheer low denier hosiery. Runs and poking holes are common during putting on from rough hands, rough cuticles/hangnails or sharp/uneven fingernails. It’s easier to have her lay down on the bed with her legs straight or legs up in the air bent about 45 degrees at the hip. I usually start high and gather loose fabric by rolling the legs down to the toe cup area. Apply the toes into the cup and adjust the seam. Then simply unroll the legs as you move up slowly and gently. Try not to pull or tug too much as working the panty over the hips. Removal is easier and simply roll down starting with hips/panty.

Always wash colored hosiery prior to fist use on dolls to prevent color staining and dyes transferring (both in TPE and silicone). If you successfully get through a wearing and removing cycle without holes or runs, always hand wash or alternatively can machine wash on gentle cycle if placing hosiery in a lingerie net bag. Just like if washing wigs, wash hosiery using woolite or with a soap/detergent or shampoos followed by leave-in fabric softener or hair conditioner (don’t have to rinse). Just give a good squeeze for absorbed water and hang dry. I don’t recommend drying in a machine as the heat can be too high and hosiery material is fragile and susceptible to heat. However low settings in a net lingerie bag can be ok especially if you want to see if minor shrinkage can improve fitting.

When done right, Hosiery in general makes a lot of maintenance issues with dolls much easier. Pantyhose/body stockings can make dressing go smoother by offering a softer silky protective layer over the skin and need less repeated powdering. I get immense joy shopping, dressing, powdering and primping my gurls. Hosiery can help protect skin from scuffs and toes or fingers from tears, pulls or damage.

I hope this helps and I will certainly be adding more content here following your questions….
:plaidskirt:
Sin's Sanctum
April - 80cm elfling (silicone-9lbs) ~ 2016 from JM Dolls
Tawney - 132cm {Lexi head} - (silicone-45lbs) ~ 2017 from Private Island Beauties
Sophie - Piper 100cm {Jessica head} - (silicone-28lbs) ~ 2024 from SexDollCanada
Olivia - AK6 157cm {#45 head} - (silicone-68lbs) ~ 2024 from RosemaryDoll

”My Better Half” - 90cm Legs & Hips (TPE - 24lbs) ~ 2024 Seiraku Toys from Onahole

SinsuaLuvr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Hosiery 101 Class

Post by SinsuaLuvr »

Some additional information and amplifying photos

RUNS and LADDERS
Most Hosiery has a very short and limited lifespan. Runs are frustrating (unless you dig the torn look) and often signals the end for a set of hosiery. Women for years used a trick to arrest small runs. If caught early a run can be slowed from expanding and lengthening by applying clear nail polish topcoat the start and end, or completely surround the hole. However, I don’t recommend applying clear nail polish topcoat directly to a gurls TPE or silicone skin. You could possibly use this technique on your arm and allow to dry but I’ve only had limited success as the runs become worse as you roll them on or off again.
IMG_1608.jpeg
IMG_1608.jpeg (232.08 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Damn runs
Damn runs
IMG_1606.jpeg (64.56 KiB) Viewed 599 times
CAUTION for THIGH HIGHS with SILICONE
As mentioned previously, thigh-highs are made with elastic bands to keep them from sliding down the leg. Sometimes the elastic bands for stay-ups, are rubber reinforced embedded into the stocking material or made with silicone exposed. Please be aware that not all silicone are compatible with silicone or TPE dolls. Depending on cure type and chemical composition it may cause either silicone or TPE skin to degrade or tear over a short time (hours). I would recommend avoiding the thigh highs with exposed silicone.
Beware Thigh-highs with exposed silicone band
Beware Thigh-highs with exposed silicone band
IMG_1569.jpeg (60.73 KiB) Viewed 501 times
ADDITIONAL USES
Use stockings or knee-highs to make glamorous arm-length gloves. Use open-crotch or pantyhose with the gusset carefully removed for easy access intimacy, or used for sexy upper-body sheer lingerie. These help protect more of your dolls skin and keeps them feeling soft and silky. Even with runs they still often can be salvaged and cut or trimmed to be used as scalp covers to help wigs have better fitment and easier setting.
Knee-highs can become thigh-highs on shorter mini dolls. Another fun activity is layering… you can create some interesting colors and patterns! Hosiery Body cocoons are also available and useful not only for fetish play but also to protect your gurl while in storage. Finding the denier and yarn content can be challenging but makes a huge difference. Not so much an effect for dolls but if you recall denier refers to coverage and thickness of material or how sheer (nearly invisible) the material appears….. thick or high denier hosiery is useful for insulating your legs in cold weather keeping you warmer. Alternatively very low denier is better suited for summer and gives a nice wicking or cooling effect to legs.
Layering
Layering
IMG_1574.jpeg (29.95 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Knee-highs can be used as stockings on mini dolls
Knee-highs can be used as stockings on mini dolls
IMG_1576.jpeg (26.35 KiB) Viewed 599 times
SHOPPING
Unfortunately in USA, most retail stores no longer have multiple aisles of hosiery offering different styles, colors and sizing. This is unfortunate as you used to find rows of leggy mannequins displaying different styles and textures. One could open the packages gently to test softness and color matching for coverage. Rarely now you will find opaque tights usually in a one size fits all. Nowadays using online stores to do your shopping is our only option. The following are my favorite online stores and often offer discounts or free shipping (even international shipping):
UKTIGHTS
SHAPINGS
AMAZON

Keep an eye out for interesting hosiery finishes like matte or oil-like glossy!
Body cocoon
Body cocoon
IMG_1610.jpeg (66.05 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Most of all have fun! Experiment and please feel free to ask questions or comment if you have additional recommendations!
Attachments
Lingerie laundry bag
Lingerie laundry bag
IMG_1617.jpeg (297.05 KiB) Viewed 470 times
Body stocking
Body stocking
IMG_1609.jpeg (151.64 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Shiney
Shiney
IMG_1573.jpeg (21.97 KiB) Viewed 598 times
One piece stockings and garters
One piece stockings and garters
IMG_1578.jpeg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Sin's Sanctum
Tawney - 132cm {Lexi head} - (silicone-45lbs) ~ 2017 from Private Island Beauties
Sophie - Piper 100cm {Jessica head} - (silicone-28lbs) ~ 2024 from SexDollCanada

”My Better Half” - 90cm Legs & Hips (TPE - 24lbs) ~ 2024 Seiraku Toys from Onahole

Alucard1959
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Alucard1959 »

Thanks SL. Everything you need to know about hosiery in one place. Awesome!
Imaginary lovers never turn you down. They always care, they're always there when you need satisfaction guaranteed. Your mine,anytime, my imaginary lover.
"Atlanta Rythum Section"

Callesnegras

Post by Callesnegras »

As a leg man, I find this thread pretty informative and interesting.
Thanks for taking the time to make it.
I’m a stockings and garters lover BTW.

Frozen+
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Frozen+ »

Another appreciative leg man- great job! Really learned a lot from the info, thank-you.

Silikev
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Silikev »

Excellent post! I’m a fan and have hosiery for my girls.

young guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor
Location: Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals, I get my back into my living

Post by young guy »

Great thread, SL! Whether you love legs, butts, boobs, or anything in between, sheer makes it better! Nothing compares to sliding around in bed with your honey while lusting over every square inch of their sheer loveliness. Thanks so much for the tips on what materials and blends to look for. I'm going on the hunt right now...
"You know, you could be a handy thing to have around the house if a man went broke." (from His Kind of Woman)

"I never say dame; I always say doll..." (Nick Charles)

"Well, she's no fun, she fell right over!" (Nick Danger)

Dresssexy

Post by Dresssexy »

Absolutely loving the <a href="https://dresssexy.in/product-category/l ... ts/">sheer pantyhose</a> trend! It's such a timeless and elegant addition to any outfit. The way it effortlessly enhances the legs and adds a subtle touch of sophistication is truly unmatched. Plus, it's incredibly versatile, whether paired with a chic dress for a formal occasion or dressed down with a cozy sweater for a more casual look. Kudos to the designers for bringing back this classic piece with a modern twist!

Callesnegras

Post by Callesnegras »

Stockings, always a favorite of mine.
A must have in every leg lover’s collection.
Attachments
IMG_3943.jpeg
IMG_3943.jpeg (674.1 KiB) Viewed 350 times

SinsuaLuvr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by SinsuaLuvr »

Thank you for the kind comments and lovely supporting photos! This was truly a labor of love.

Thankfully there seems to be still some leg lovers out there with a special appreciation for heels and hosiery. Our synthetic gurls seem to especially tolerant and willing to satisfy our fetishes and model or tease us. :angel:

What are your favorite brands and styles?

Where do you find your hosiery ?

Which dolls do you feel have the best shapely legs and detailed feet?

Keep up the thread with noted sales or your gurls and flirty gams!
:plaidskirt:
Sin's Sanctum

young guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor
Location: Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals, I get my back into my living

Post by young guy »

I realize after reading this that Amazon doesn't have a lot of high quality options, but that's where I've gotten everything since I got my first doll. While their items are cheap and don't last long, they are functional and feel good on the girls in bed. I can't seem to stop at their legs when I dress them, gotta keep going up and up. "I like sheer butts and I cannot lie..."
This is why:
Chastity 20191212_185250a.jpg
Chastity 20191212_185250a.jpg (631.32 KiB) Viewed 278 times
Chastity 20190903_200357a.jpg
Chastity 20190903_200357a.jpg (413.44 KiB) Viewed 278 times
Chastity 20190903_200305a.jpg
Chastity 20190903_200305a.jpg (602.84 KiB) Viewed 278 times
These are some of the first shots I took of my first doll Chastity, a DS145plus.
"You know, you could be a handy thing to have around the house if a man went broke." (from His Kind of Woman)

"I never say dame; I always say doll..." (Nick Charles)

"Well, she's no fun, she fell right over!" (Nick Danger)

wykaze
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by wykaze »

good post!

makemydrink

Post by makemydrink »

Thank you for the information in this post!

INFORMATIONS