Starpery.com

Using magnets for facial expressions

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: Using magnets for facial expressions

Post by seagull »

Willy Wanka? Never, anyone coming up with a simple solution that scratches their itch is brilliant :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

MX-V
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by MX-V »

I like the idea of becoming the Wonka/Wanka of dolls.
Although I'm only sharing simple ideas that can't be patented, I'm always thinking of ways to make dolls better. Some More unique. Some ridiculous. Which means about three people in the world will buy them, but that's alright, it's my dream job.
I love the smell of TPE in the morning...

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

MX-V wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:49 am I placed steel wires in the ears for getting them to go back, and so far so good.
How did you do this and what kind of wire? I bought the elf ear extensions but they're not quite what I'm looking for.
Any ideas I may present, as long as they do not infringe on prior works, are open source and may not be encumbered/patented in any manner.

MX-V
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by MX-V »

I found some sort of jewelry wire at a walmart. Small, less than a straight pin/ needle.
Her head is tpe but not soft, the firmness helped with keeping the wire inside of the ear, I pushed it in starting at the top tip and just carefully went down the side of the ear, which was about an inch and a half.
20231210_103557.jpg
20231210_103557.jpg (890.61 KiB) Viewed 324 times

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

I presume the wire is stainless? But this is interesting because I was thinking about using wire (obviously not copper anymore) embedded in the lips to create mouth expressions (smiles, frowns, etc). The wire would have to be thicker of course.
Any ideas I may present, as long as they do not infringe on prior works, are open source and may not be encumbered/patented in any manner.

MX-V
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by MX-V »

The wire isn't stainless. Since it's not in a moisture environment it should be okay for a year or so. By that time I'll just change the wire.

Really consider how the wire will work in the mouth area. You might have success, but I've spent a lot of time thinking on how to change expressions. I'm not saying it won't work, but from my experience with this, I would not attempt it. But you may have more luck and be able to do this. I'm trying to be positive about being creative but I have to be honest. In my experience in changing the expressions, or trying to change the expression on the face with the Shape of the teeth inserts, it doesn't move as much as you want. I have messed up some dolls before and trying different experiments. If you have a doll for experimentation, then you may be able to discover something but I hate to see you mess up a good doll.

Logistics. In making a smile, wire or teeth inserts are very similar in how they're trying to move the shape of the face. I went with teeth inserts . My first thought that came to my mind is make the ends of the teeth curved slightly up. Kind of a half moon shape. A small amount of curve works, but trying a little more of a curve, it ended up pushing the bottom jaw down creating a gap at the top. So I made a jaw insert using Bondo, in kind of a flat tongue shape to keep it from pushing down. But the weight of the face is pushing down on the mouth. So I tried cheek inserts between the tpe and the resin skull. And this is where she looked like she had an allergic reaction. But I was able to get a subtle change with just the shape of the teeth and the eyebrows. So that I was happy with that.
Between the eyebrow placement, opening the eyes more, pushing them in, pulling them out a little more and the shape of the teeth insert and whether it's pushed in a little or out a little all make subtle changes that have a big difference, at least in my eyes.

You may have different results, and the best of luck to you. I hope you share your results on here.
20231211_104036.jpg
20231211_104036.jpg (845.3 KiB) Viewed 299 times
20231211_144522.jpg
20231211_144522.jpg (974.17 KiB) Viewed 299 times

MX-V
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by MX-V »

I wanted to share a find that I ran across yesterday. Fake mustaches at the dollar store, if you can find a product like this I highly recommend it. They come with their own adhesive that works pretty well, and all you have to do is trim them. I'd recommend turning them over and cutting along the white adhesive backing.
20231216_085502.jpg
20231216_085502.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 261 times
20231215_153835.jpg
20231215_153835.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 261 times
20231216_085639.jpg
20231216_085639.jpg (803.27 KiB) Viewed 261 times
20231214_161416.jpg
20231214_161416.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 261 times

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

MX-V wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:11 am I wanted to share a find that I ran across yesterday. Fake mustaches at the dollar store, if you can find a product like this I highly recommend it. They come with their own adhesive that works pretty well, and all you have to do is trim them. I'd recommend turning them over and cutting along the white adhesive backing.
20231214_161416.jpg
Interesting. I'll definitely check out the dollar store, thanks. Still trying to figure out facial expressions and waiting on magnets but yes the TPE is pretty thick in the facial area. There must be a way though. Also thinking of magnets for moving eyes in sync with each other but haven't figured out the mechanism yet. Have an idea of gluing a magnet to the inside of the eye and then placing a steel ball inside the eye socket the eye can move over using external magnets. Just and idea though.
Really like the last picture and the hair. She's quite expressive.

INFORMATIONS