Starpery.com

Platinum Silicone Doll - Oil Sweating

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
LaraLover

Platinum Silicone Doll - Oil Sweating

Post by LaraLover »

I have a GameLady platinum silicone doll who is about 10 months old. She just recently started sweating oil a couple days ago. Please see the attached picture.

I researched the forum and the web and this is a summary of what I found:

- sweating is normal for silicone dolls and occurs with age;
- the amount of sweat varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but all dolls sweat to some degree;
- with platinum silicone, the sweating will not result in silicone body degradation (as it would with older tin silicone dolls);
- the sweating will lessen with time, but can take years to resolve; and
- the only real danger is that it may increase the likelihood of dye release from clothing and result in stains to the body.

Does this seem correct to the experts?

Also, as a solution option, does it seem reasonable/advisable to tightly wrap the body in soft white cotton and increase the indoor heat to a reasonable temperature to hasten the release of oil and ultimately shorten the duration of this issue?

Thanks!
Attachments
Lara Black Dress Standing 100223-9.jpg
Lara Black Dress Standing 100223-9.jpg (3.16 MiB) Viewed 427 times
FanReal Maria 170
Game Lady Lara 167
WM 140 (RIP)

rbngdfllw

Re: Platinum Silicone Doll - Oil Sweating

Post by rbngdfllw »

You are probably correct, it is the result of the manufactures productions process. Without knowing the specific types of silicone and additives they used, this is educated guess on what is having. First, the silicone of the doll and any silicone based pant has long since fully cured, so all more heat will do is slowly reduced useful lifespan. If you want, most of these silicones are almost the same things as silicone cookware.... assuming nothing but silicone, you can toss it into 170 degree oven to speed its degradation. Of course, this degradation is what will result in reduced tacky surface.... not really a good method. Second, since this is a recent occurrence, then something has changed to cause it (If silicone is going to be tacky/oily, it is always going to be such.). As such, the change is mostly likely related to the finish/seal coat that was applied after painting. This coating probably either naturally wears away or has a limited effective lifespan (probably as long as they think it could take to sell a doll). Therefore, I would suggest three potential fixes:

1) They do sell protective body suits for dolls. It protects them from picking up the colors from dress up and cosplay outfits.
2) A more pleasing method would be to apply a "neutral set" makeup powder, as needed. (I heard, but never attempted it, that powdered sugar works great- I will skip the science part)
3) A more professional- both in results and high skill level required- would be to apply a new clear coat/finish coat made for silicone and human safe.

LaraLover

Re: Platinum Silicone Doll - Oil Sweating

Post by LaraLover »

rbngdfllw wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:42 pm You are probably correct, it is the result of the manufactures productions process. Without knowing the specific types of silicone and additives they used, this is educated guess on what is having. First, the silicone of the doll and any silicone based pant has long since fully cured, so all more heat will do is slowly reduced useful lifespan. If you want, most of these silicones are almost the same things as silicone cookware.... assuming nothing but silicone, you can toss it into 170 degree oven to speed its degradation. Of course, this degradation is what will result in reduced tacky surface.... not really a good method. Second, since this is a recent occurrence, then something has changed to cause it (If silicone is going to be tacky/oily, it is always going to be such.). As such, the change is mostly likely related to the finish/seal coat that was applied after painting. This coating probably either naturally wears away or has a limited effective lifespan (probably as long as they think it could take to sell a doll). Therefore, I would suggest three potential fixes:

1) They do sell protective body suits for dolls. It protects them from picking up the colors from dress up and cosplay outfits.
2) A more pleasing method would be to apply a "neutral set" makeup powder, as needed. (I heard, but never attempted it, that powdered sugar works great- I will skip the science part)
3) A more professional- both in results and high skill level required- would be to apply a new clear coat/finish coat made for silicone and human safe.
Thanks for responding, I appreciate your opinion. It's certainly possible it could be a finish/seal coat issue. She is not tacky or oily to the touch, so it must be a slow release under the pressure of the clothing.

I would be most interested in your third solution. Are you aware of a product that would be safe to seal the silicone again?

Thanks again.
FanReal Maria 170
Game Lady Lara 167
WM 140 (RIP)

INFORMATIONS