Starpery.com

Eyeball trick

Got an idea? Need an invention?
frankinstien

Eyeball trick

Post by frankinstien »

Eyeball positioning is critical when photographing dolls and TPE dolls usually just come with cotton backing to the plastic eyes which makes them hard to position.

So, I tried this trick:

Get two 15/16 inch ball bearings. They're about $7 or $8 each on eBay.

Remove the eye from the dolls head and take the cotton out of the eyesocket completely, leave no cotton.
Now take the cotton ball from the eye socket and flatten it out, if you need to remove material do so.

Place the flatten out cotton back into the back of the eye socket of the doll so its as far back as possible.

Place the ball bearing into the back of the eyeball

place the eye with the ball bearing into the eye socket of the doll.

Now simply press the eye in as far as you can with your index finger and adjust it's positioning.

You'll find that this approach makes it very easy to position eyes as oppose to having to fight the eyes' resistance with just the cotton backing. 8)

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Eyeball trick

Post by Mr Franz »

That's really cool! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

I did something similar for a Valentina Girl head I made recently. I used perfume bottle tops, but I think your idea would work better for my TPE lass' eye sockets.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Interesting. :)
Thanks for the tip and good write up.
Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

mclarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mclarin »

That looks like it works really well.

You could also use Delrin balls which are lighter and cheaper but I only see 7/8" and 1" on ebay. I did find 24mm delrin balls on ebay which is slightly bigger than 15/16

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Woo woo ... it works.
I got some of them and tested in a few heads.
It's simple and it works well.

Now I have a bunch of female doll heads with big clanking balls.
(Oddly, that does not seem to sound right) :)

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

RevJack
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by RevJack »

mclarin wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:12 pm That looks like it works really well.

You could also use Delrin balls which are lighter and cheaper but I only see 7/8" and 1" on ebay. I did find 24mm delrin balls on ebay which is slightly bigger than 15/16
But do they work?
Reverend Jacks Roamin' Cadillac Sex Doll Repair. Roamin' the land fixin' dollies and handing out salvation from the back of his Cadillac.

ALSO TRY Reverend Jack's Anointed Snake Oil, good for cleansing stains from the body and the Soul! Step right up folks, only $5 a bottle! We got plenty to go around! Cash only please.

Aibei 158 Blue Elf, AS 157, XES 128, OR 156G, WM 160C (r), Sanhui 168 (r), WM 157B, WM 138D (Faun), Mistress 168 (r), 6YE 100 (Bubbles)

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

RevJack wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:46 pm
mclarin wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:12 pm That looks like it works really well.

But do they work?
From what I have seen eyeball rotation solutions tend to need a FIRM material for the pivot point.
Good examples are these balls, beads, MF eyes and The Doll Lab solutions.
One company used softer silicone balls for eye pivots, they were good but not an easy turn.

So I guess as long as the Delrin balls are firm to hard and the correct size, they should work.
Probably best to powder inside the eye socket and inside the eye ball to ease rotation.

Cheers!
... W ...

Photo_guy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Photo_guy »

Love this idea, thanks for sharing.

I just had Ambers eyes out for the first time- kinda creepy! :D
Being able to change their position easily would be pretty awesome.
Every day is a good day, some are just better than others. - RJD
Jo- WM 167 H Cup Fitness Model
Amber- (Shared Body) Head #266

Stacy
Five Card Draw

INFORMATIONS