www.yourdoll.com

How to get tops on

Clothing, footwear, hats, gloves, jewelry, etc. Store bought, modified and handmade.
AUselessNoob

How to get tops on

Post by AUselessNoob »

I’m sure this topic has been covered about a million times, but as I’m a useless noob, I have to ask it again:

Is there a good/easy way to get tops on and off? I’ve been removing the head, putting the arms straight out in front (parallel to the floor), sliding the sleeves over the hands, tugging it back over the arms, then lifting the back over the headless neck. Some tops don’t have enough give to get over the neck easily, and most garments get bunched up around the shoulders/upper chest which takes a lot of adjusting to straighten out. Taking the top off is the same procedure in reverse.

I don’t really like taking the head off constantly (wondering if it wears the threads in the neck, since it’s a quick release that just pops off). Also, some garments like her really cute denim jacket, are a real B—— to get on and off like this. Trying to get her denim jacket on takes like 20 minutes of sweating and swearing 🥵

Pants are fairly straightforward (lay her down and put pants over feet, stand her back up and pull pants up), but the tops are really kicking my ass.

I’m really having a hard time visualizing a better way of doing this. Any suggestions?

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: How to get tops on

Post by Mr Franz »

I hardly ever remove my doll's head. Not even her wig if I can avoid it. Just spoils the illusion for me. To facilitate that, I look for clothes with buttons and zippers. She does have a couple pull-overs that, aside from leaving the head on, I get on and off much the same way you do. I try not to get things that are overly tight though. Also powdering does help reduce friction and makes things a bit easier

cfsmooth
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cfsmooth »

Hi AUselessNoob. I put my dolls tops on the same way you mentioned. Head off with her arms reaching forward. I used to put on her tops with her arms bent at the elbows but that was torture. I hope you find a method that works good for you.

Stch10

Post by Stch10 »

If there is a magic solution, I don't know what it is either.

Clothes from Shein list 4 different possibilities, ranging from non-stretch to very stretchy. I've had the most luck with clothes with a lot of stretch. These also tend to fit snug and highlight the doll's nature curves, which is generally the look I'm after.

Devit

Post by Devit »

AUselessNoob wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:29 pm .... Trying to get her denim jacket on takes like 20 minutes of sweating and swearing 🥵

Maybe this fidle technic helps. :)

ImageImageImageImage

AUselessNoob

Post by AUselessNoob »

Devit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:27 pm Maybe this fidle technic helps. :)
Whoa, dude.

So, you put the arms back behind her and slide the sleeves on so the back is already behind her and never has to go over her head? Genius.

That idea had literally never even entered my tiny brain. Guess that’s what I have you guys for 8)

AUselessNoob

Post by AUselessNoob »

Mr Franz wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:42 pm I hardly ever remove my doll's head. Not even her wig if I can avoid it. Just spoils the illusion for me.
I know what you mean. I try not to think too hard about it while I have her head off for outfit changes. I always treat it gently, apologize profusely, and explain everything to her as I’m doing it. I feel like that helps me feel like she’s a part of the dressing process, and not just a passenger along for the ride.

And I try to time things so I won’t have to walk away with her head still off and come back later to finish the job. Doing it all in one session I can handle, but leaving the room and coming back later to a headless doll is just too weird.

Devit

Post by Devit »

AUselessNoob wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:43 pm
Devit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:27 pm Maybe this fidle technic helps. :)
Whoa, dude.

So, you put the arms back behind her and slide the sleeves on so the back is already behind her and never has to go over her head? Genius.

That idea had literally never even entered my tiny brain. Guess that’s what I have you guys for 8)
Touching her fingers/hand with your fingers in the sleeve of the dress is the trick.

Taeyeon
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Taeyeon »

Hello AUselessNoob,

my doll too first put shirt on hands and arms and then over head.
When changing clothes, I also help by holding her fingers in hand and pull out of sleeve to not receive injury^^

TaeYeon
(。ᵔᵔ。) SooYoung's pages (DS/Ex-lite/Sino T158) and album

사랑은 그저 사랑이다. 절대 설명 될 수 없다.
Love is just love. It can never be explained.

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

Devit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:03 pm Touching her fingers/hand with your fingers in the sleeve of the dress is the trick.
This is what we do, we hold hands inside the sleeve, then I'm careful to move the sleeve without pulling it hard so as not to scuff her skin.
100cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 11/27/2018, Measurements: I - cup / 25I - 16 - 24 @ 32.4 lbs
140cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 5/14/2019, Measurements: K - cup / 31K - 19 - 25 @ 51 lbs
125cm Amazon doll. Purchased: 3/24/2024, Measurements: G - cup / 26G - 17 - 25 @ 39.8 lbs

The Doll Advocate
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Doll Advocate »

If we're talking about a tpe doll ,if she's powdered well this shouldn't be a huge issue.
Just raise her arms straight up and bring the garment over the top .
If you want to leave her head and hair on for this , put her hair in a scrunci so it's contained and tilt her head forward a little to protect her lashes and face as the collar comes down .
And as always ,
Never dress in brand new clothes that have not been washed at least 2 times !

MinniMagg

Post by MinniMagg »

Technician wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:28 pm
Devit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:03 pm Touching her fingers/hand with your fingers in the sleeve of the dress is the trick.
This is what we do, we hold hands inside the sleeve, then I'm careful to move the sleeve without pulling it hard so as not to scuff her skin.
I used to try and hold the hand while trying to slide my dolls tops on her. But Sometimes I needed both hands because of the type of garment

Now I turn an athletic, or tube sock, inside out and slide my hand into it. Then I hold the doll's hand and Slide the sock from the long open end down onto her forearm. Then I simply roll it off of her arm once the Garment is in place.

No more finger or nail catches as I slide on the Garment

INFORMATIONS