Thank you Anushka!

Your so lovely...
Attachments
AcceptableWelllitIraniangroundjay-max-1mb.gif
AcceptableWelllitIraniangroundjay-max-1mb.gif (773.67 KiB) Viewed 565 times
"CUNNIE OF THE CITADEL"
wives, concubines, companions, slaves all
Astrid Ulla, first wife. 142cm Brand Z viewtopic.php?f=87&t=142779
Saoirse Roen, Astrid's first wife. 88cm Fairy, We don't talk about her brand on TDF viewtopic.php?f=87&t=143907
Tamara Abruna, tiniest wife. 15cm Phican viewtopic.php?f=87&t=142980 viewtopic.php?f=64&t=142806

Bunnyboybob
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: PIB Spinner Hip fracture repair.

Post by Bunnyboybob »

Great work!
I always mention this about keeping Permatex or Silpoxy permanently, for when you need it.
Nevermind wrapping it in clingfilm
Stick it in the freezer.
A tip from Mishka, who heard it from another guy.
People ask me if I'm all right?
I plainly tell them, "I'm half left, actually."

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

JohnnyTempest
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by JohnnyTempest »

I'm sure that lack of humidity helps, but I was always taught that colder temperatures retard molecular movement, (the colder the better) slowing the change of state of a compound.
This works for any compound, but especially those that cross-check or cross bond like thermoset resins.

John
"CUNNIE OF THE CITADEL"
wives, concubines, companions, slaves all
Astrid Ulla, first wife. 142cm Brand Z viewtopic.php?f=87&t=142779
Saoirse Roen, Astrid's first wife. 88cm Fairy, We don't talk about her brand on TDF viewtopic.php?f=87&t=143907
Tamara Abruna, tiniest wife. 15cm Phican viewtopic.php?f=87&t=142980 viewtopic.php?f=64&t=142806

phillip57
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by phillip57 »

Cl5k12 wrote:Thanks for sharing! I came to the unfortunate event of breaking the hip on my doll. Your thread is extremely helpful! Might as well try it out for myself

Did you just use a utility knife for the incision?

How long would you say the repair process took?

I used a sharp filet knife for the incision. Thinking I should've used a single edge razor blade cleaned free of oil.

I let her lay for a couple of weeks before I cut into her. I was in a funk not knowing what to do. I took pics and was posting at ODC and chatting with the guys there who gave me some ideas, some of which had already occurred to me.

Finally I had to courage to open her up. Once I saw what the deal was, I was able to begin working. The entire process took place over a period of about ten days, but I worked a short time each day. Sealing her back up took 3 or 4 days. That way I hoped to get to a relatively clean scar.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, have you cut into her yet?

Good luck,

Phil

phillip57
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by phillip57 »

Bunnyboybob wrote:Great work!
I always mention this about keeping Permatex or Silpoxy permanently, for when you need it.
Stick it in the freezer.

Instructions with Silpoxy say to not let air into the tube. I squeeze a little bit out from the tube before replacing the cap, then screw it on snug. Not too tight so as to break the cap which happened on a tube of silicone bathtub caulk once.

Anyway, I haven't had a tube of SiIpoxy harden in the tube yet, but I may take to putting it in the freezer. 8)

Phil

Cl5k12
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Cl5k12 »

phillip57 wrote:
Cl5k12 wrote:Thanks for sharing! I came to the unfortunate event of breaking the hip on my doll. Your thread is extremely helpful! Might as well try it out for myself

I used a sharp filet knife for the incision. Thinking I should've used a single edge razor blade cleaned free of oil.

I let her lay for a couple of weeks before I cut into her. I was in a funk not knowing what to do. I took pics and was posting at ODC and chatting with the guys there who gave me some ideas, some of which had already occurred to me.

Finally I had to courage to open her up. Once I saw what the deal was, I was able to begin working. The entire process took place over a period of about ten days, but I worked a short time each day. Sealing her back up took 3 or 4 days. That way I hoped to get to a relatively clean scar.

Good luck,

Phil
Thanks for the reply! I plan to work on her over the weekend, or at least get started. I have never done any work on a doll before so I am also a bit hesitant and trying to read about the process or tricks before hand. But like you said, once I open her up I will know what the damage is and I can figure out how to fix it. Your thread is full of lots of help! Truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience!

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Another techie is born :)

Bunnyboybob
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Bunnyboybob »

phillip57 wrote:
Bunnyboybob wrote:Great work!
Stick it in the freezer.

Instructions with Silpoxy say to not let air into the tube. I squeeze a little bit out from the tube before replacing the cap, then screw it on snug. Not too tight so as to break the cap which happened on a tube of silicone bathtub caulk once.

Anyway, I haven't had a tube of SiIpoxy harden in the tube yet, but I may take to putting it in the freezer. 8)

Phil
Yes, following a similar accident with a cap breaking on a tube of permatex, I am more careful not to overtighten.
I also make sure air doesn't get in by keeping pressure on the squeezed tube before replacing the cap.
I tend to do this now with any tube of liquid I come across
just to keep in practice, as it can do no harm.
Even with a tube of toothpaste, or tomato puree.
On an end note, I also discard the first squirt of silicon onto a clean cloth before use, as it's likely the contents nearest the cap is on the way to premature curing, and this means it will have a shortened pot life, when it's short enough already.
People ask me if I'm all right?
I plainly tell them, "I'm half left, actually."

Cl5k12
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Cl5k12 »

phillip57 wrote:

Good luck,

Phil
How is your doll holding out after your repair? I just recently got started on mine (hard to believe I waited as long as I have).

I have a Sanhui, and it looks as though the skeleton on mine is different. Finally after cutting her open, I saw that her leg came detached from the ball joint hip. I am not sure if it will be easy to fix.

Mine also has a hollowed out metal pipe in her leg with a metal washer that looks like it was welded to the hip. It doesnt look like it had that much contact.

Needless to say, it seems like the skeletons are cheaply made and I would have expected some better craftsmanship in high stress areas. To be honest, the photo of your skeleton also looks like it could have better engineering/support to ensure strength.

I feel I might need to somehow make a brace to link the 2 pieces together since I am not sure how strong jb weld is - never used it before. Otherwise my plan was to use jb weld and glue the 2 pieces together trying to get as much surface area as possible to hold the 2 together.

mitsumeihakubi
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by mitsumeihakubi »

Would any know the size of the nut and Allen size? I'm going to try and tighten a elbow joint

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

Awesome repair! Perfect tutorial.

:glou:
The Home for Wayward Dollies
Kat ~ WM #36/ASDoll 158C ~ 10-24-16
Janie ~ WM 161G #53 ~ 12-5-16
Quinn ~ Rifrano 158DD #39 ~ 11-2-17
Lisa ~ WM 156B #46 ~ 7-7-18