betterlovedoll.com

HTML Editors

For Doll related Photography, Graphics, and Web Design.

Moderator: Swan

Phyl_T_Mynd
Ex-Member

HTML Editors

Post by Phyl_T_Mynd »

The best freeware [ooops! I mean careware] HTML editor I've found is Arachnophilia.

It's a text editor [not WYSIWYG], but that's the way I like 'em!

Also useful for coding Perl, JavaScript, C and C++, or just plain ol' vanilla text. Download it and see!

AceHTML freeware is [was] another outstanding piece of free software (but apparently it's not available anymore). [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif[/img]

If you're willing to spend a few bucks, AceHTML 5 Pro is the title I bought. You can download a 30-day trial version to see if you like it...

Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

HTML Editors

Post by Jerry »

I just downloaded Arachnophilia to evaluate it and give a short review. I like to develop a web page with more of a WYSIWYG development system... but not Frontpage.

The reason is that I can see the overall development of the page, and I know that the syntax is correct, I use Netscape 4.7 for HTML development for this reason. I can specify a table, then click on cells to specify colors and the like. When you are in a pure text system this may be hard to visualize. (For me anyway)

The reason I do not like some editors like Frontpage is that they generate very large code... huge amounts of unnessasry "stuff" thrown in there. Arachnophilia is good to set up frames pages and for the editing of JavaScript and CGI files. It highlights the text and aids in generating some of the "mundane" parts to eliminate errors.

I will most likely use it to do the framework of a web page... I.E. set up the JavaScript and basic layout... but continue to use Netscape 4.7 NOT 6.x !!! See below to fill in the bulk of the page.

To ilistrate my point about some editors... try this.

Go into Netscape Composer, select light yellow as the page background, set the font to 24 and then center. Type in "My Web Page" and save your work.

You will get this...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<meta name="Author" content="Jerry">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Mozilla/4.74 [en] (Win98; U) [Netscape]">
<title>My Web Page</title>
</head>
<body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFCC" link="#0000EE" vlink="#551A8B" alink="#FF0000">
<center><font size=+3>My Web Page</font></center>
</body>
</html>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now try this with Microsoft Word or Frontpage and you will get about 3 pages of HTML code. I was going to print it here... but it is HUGE.

Jerry

Netscape 6: When they developed Netscape 6.0 for some unknown reason the whole composer was screwed up. Things that simply took a single "right click" now need three laysers of menu to get to. I installed it, used it for 15 minutes and deleted it.

Phyl_T_Mynd
Ex-Member

HTML Editors

Post by Phyl_T_Mynd »

For me, the WYSIWYG editors are a lot tougher to use than the text editors... it must be a left brain/right brain thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Arachnophilia is good to set up frames pages and for the editing of JavaScript and CGI files. It highlights the text and aids in generating some of the "mundane" parts to eliminate errors.
-- Jerry <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right! I lean on it heavily when writing [er, I mean, trying to write] JavaScript. My efforts are typically strewn with syntax errors. Arachnophilia spots the syntax errors almost before I make 'em!

Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

HTML Editors

Post by Jerry »

You want a text based HTML editor... try this one. I still prefer the WYSIWYG type... but I will say this has some slick features. Try doing a Rollover graphic with this one's wizard... makes it pretty easy.

Eversoft FirstPage FREE Editor

I don't know how they can offer this free... but it works really well.
Jerry

Phyl_T_Mynd
Ex-Member

HTML Editors

Post by Phyl_T_Mynd »

Oh, sure... AFTER I drop 25 smackers on AceHTML 5 Pro you let me know about this!

Oh, well, better late than never!

Phyl
[img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [struggling mightily with the new web-site!]

spatty41

HTML Editors

Post by spatty41 »

Hey Jerry,

Is there a way to take a VHS movie and put it to a DVD? If so what equipment does a person need to do it??? What about the quality could it be cleaned up to look better on the DVD? [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

HTML Editors

Post by Jerry »

This should have been another thread actually... as it doesn't pertain to HTML authoring... but to answer your question:

You would need a DVD burner and the proper software for this. Currently they cost about $3,000 or so. (Prices are comming down.) You can make a CDV (?) that uses the older format and still plays on most DVD players... but it would take two CDs because the compression isn't as good as on the DVD.

You would need to convert the VHS video into either MPG or AVI format on your computer... this will require a few GIG of free space. Once on the computer, you run the software to convert it and/or burn it to a CDV. I'd have to consult with Bill or my 14 year old... they have both done it already.

They also said it took like 8 to 12 hours for the software to convert the format... so they start the process and let it run overnight.

Jerry

Ikyoto

HTML Editors

Post by Ikyoto »

As far as WYSIWYG editors.. Dreamweaver. It is OUTSTANDING! Give it a try... I use it al the time.

Corben_99
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

HTML Editors

Post by Corben_99 »

Hey Spaty there's some kits on sale on Ebay that let you convert VHS tapes to VCD. Or copy DVD, and rip it, and burn it onto a CD-R. If you got a good PC you can do it. Check out Ebay. If you splice the female, and male Realdoll segments together on one disk, it would be cool. Just edit out the begining part with the HBO logo. I know both segments together on one disk shouldn't run over an hour. And you could sell these to FORUM members to help your doll purchase.

And yes this should've been on another thread. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Keep me posted on the conversion.

If I ever get around to upgrading this PC, I just might make that master disk for yah. But that's not gonna be for awhile. ***There's alot of DVD Burners on sale right now on Ebay for very reasonable prices. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

dollboy
Active Poster
Active Poster

HTML Editors

Post by dollboy »

I have Netscape 4.7 and the composser is full of bugs. My pages are about as simple as you can get and yet i spend three times the effort getting them right because it doesn't align things when I save, or it adds underlines where it should be blank. And tonight when I went to look at one of the galleries on it it loaded a page with nothing but 9 empty frames squished together and no images. I still like using it but damn i wish the bugs weren't there. Maybe I'll try the Eversoft editor...

db_db

angel

HTML Editors

Post by angel »

My 2 cents: Macromedia's HomeSite, but it's not free [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif[/img] Fantastic for hand-coding and WYSIWYG. But personally, WYSIWYG messes with me, I code by hand.

dollboy
Active Poster
Active Poster

HTML Editors

Post by dollboy »

Excuse the ignorance but what does WYSIWYG mean? Is the Composser a WYSIWYG editor? Just trying to get a handle on what y'all are talking about. :~)

db_db

Phyl_T_Mynd
Ex-Member

HTML Editors

Post by Phyl_T_Mynd »

What You See Is What You Get.

I'm with you, Angel. Give me a good text editor any day! It's a Left Brain thing!

angel

HTML Editors

Post by angel »

Hand coding sounds tedious, and it can be (I remember doing an ASP site in Notepad! uggg, big mistake, never again), but, given a decent code editor and after a while, you get a good collection of snippets, keyboard shortcuts, file templates, etc. It's easier for me especially on dynamic sites (server-side logic like ASP, CF, PHP).

I guess I'm just anal about my HTML formatting (aligned, indented) for an easier read during fixes, maintenance and upgrades. Then again, prolly just a left brain thing like you said, Phyl :-) Musta got dropped as a baby on the right side of the head - I can't even draw a line...

INFORMATIONS