Starpery.com

Floppy Hands

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
thepride724
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Floppy Hands

Post by thepride724 »

I’ve seen pictures of hand reconstruction surgeries for dolls. I’m just looking for a place where I can directly buy new hands/fingers for a 166cm and 157cm wm doll. I’ve posted a quick clip of how the hand on one of my dolls is holding up. I’m sure this is not a new issue.
Attachments
trim.07F0FAAD-5769-435C-9257-F8367D734C78.MOV
(2.36 MiB) Downloaded 561 times
Fantasy is just the reality you wish you had.

Layla's Thread

Layla's Instagram

Shanna & Shannon’s Instagram

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: Floppy Hands

Post by seagull »

Have a memory of someone replacing hands with wooden articulated ones, think it might have been Arthur1960 :)

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Yep, it was me, I replaced the hands of a doll that was going to be scrapped by her owner. I did try to keep them but the tpe was too far gone. Another member here had used artists wooden hands to fix onto a doll which gave me the idea of doing the same to give her a 'cyborg' look. It actually worked quite well, the small size hands widely available on Amazon and eBay are a good fit size wise. The old finger/palm plate assembly can be removed by unscrewing it where it is bolted onto the forearm just above the wrist. Of course if you want to replace the hands with another set of tpe hands you would have to speak to your vendor of choice to see if you can get them to locate a pair for you. Certainly the Jinsan factory have produced hands which may have been for display purposes? In any event at least one member on here has got a pair and grafted them onto his doll. The other option is that if the tpe is still good you can either replace the palm plate assembly and finger wires with a set of MF plates and articulated finger bones which several members have done or keep the existing palm plate and just fit new finger wires, I can help with the latter option as I've done it a few times now.

Rock13
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Rock13 »

I asked about the possibility of getting some replacement hands so that I could just use a circumferential bond at the wrist, but it seems that no two sculpts are exactly alike and for a factory cranking out complete dolls as fast as they can it's just not practical to block off a mold at the wrists and mold up some replacement hands. However, as long as finger wires and lousy palm plates persist and hands remain vulnerable to damage, it seems like someone with the knowledge and right tools could build a considerable cottage industry for themselves.
Hadleigh is a fair-skinned WM163C/#188, Harper (#124) is a medium toned WM164D, Kendall is a fair-skinned 163C/#398. All via RLSD.

Link to Hadleigh's photo thread

Link to Harper's photo thread

Link to Kendall's photo thread

Link to the H2K Ranch

thepride724
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by thepride724 »

Arthur1960 wrote:In any event at least one member on here has got a pair and grafted them onto his doll. The other option is that if the tpe is still good you can either replace the palm plate assembly and finger wires with a set of MF plates and articulated finger bones which several members have done or keep the existing palm plate and just fit new finger wires, I can help with the latter option as I've done it a few times now.
I was thinking MF plates, but if I can find good finger wires then I’m definitely open to that as well. Either way, the TPE on the hands is still good.
Fantasy is just the reality you wish you had.

Layla's Thread

Layla's Instagram

Shanna & Shannon’s Instagram

Rock13
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Rock13 »

thepride724 wrote:I was thinking MF plates, but if I can find good finger wires then I’m definitely open to that as well. Either way, the TPE on the hands is still good.
I've done three wire replacements using the factory palm plates and no matter what gauge I used they all eventually broke or even managed to pull out of the epoxy in the palm plate. If you want to be able to fully pose the hands then I can heartily recommend the MannequinFan skeletal hands. My first experience with them has been fantastic and even if you opt for wires you'll still have to make a precise snip through the TPE in her wrist (to access the clevis & transverse bolt) or palm area to insert the wires into the factory palm plate. Personally, having done both methods I believe that removing the factory palm plate and replacing the entire internal hand structure is easier to control and probably safer for the fingers.
Hadleigh is a fair-skinned WM163C/#188, Harper (#124) is a medium toned WM164D, Kendall is a fair-skinned 163C/#398. All via RLSD.

Link to Hadleigh's photo thread

Link to Harper's photo thread

Link to Kendall's photo thread

Link to the H2K Ranch

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

With regard to replacing the wires in the palm plate I had one of those 'eureka' moments a couple of years ago when I thought of gluing the wires back into the palm plate with Permatex rather than epoxy. This has proven to be a winner as my Elizabeth has had all her finger wires replaced using sheathed electrical wire and the Permatex offers a degree of flexibility so when the fingers are pushed back they don't snap at the plate. Hers are coming up for 2 years old now and none are broken so I can definitely recommend Permatex for this particular job. I've detailed it in my repair thread and as for the wire I'm using I did a stress test by repeatedly bending a piece and it took about a 100 bends for me to snap it so for all practical purposes the wire I'm using (multi stranded) seems good enough although, of course, I would prefer to have MF's articulated finger bones in there! Here's a pic of one I did last year.
Attachments
Sophia, finger wire replacement 2020
Sophia, finger wire replacement 2020
IMG_20210327_165002.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 608 times

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Ami got her new hands from Phil at The Doll House
Here

Tyr
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

This was my solution for 4 dolls. Kind of a smaller version of what crazycajun came up with. I use 12G romex with the casing still on. works fine if you're not an animal with them.
DSC05238.jpeg
DSC05238.jpeg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 572 times
The Home for Wayward Dollies
Kat ~ WM #36/ASDoll 158C ~ 10-24-16
Janie ~ WM 161G #53 ~ 12-5-16
Quinn ~ Rifrano 158DD #39 ~ 11-2-17
Lisa ~ WM 156B #46 ~ 7-7-18
Sarah-Jo ~ MLD 168DD #39 ~ 6-18-19
Jennifer ~ MLD 165F #2 ~ 11-27-19
Brittany ~ WM155 #46 ~ 3-13-20
Heather ~ WM163C #38 ~ 8-14-20
Melina ~ PIB GND Bitsy Fairy ~ 1-1-21
Aliel~ RD BT2 Winter ~ 2-13-21
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21
Virginia~ RD Body C ~ 8-27-21
Caitlyn~ 4woods AI NEO ~ 8-27-21
Jessie~ MLD 163FF #100 ~ 10-8-21

FCD94
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by FCD94 »

:idea: Those little plastic caps on the end of the wires - what are those? If possible, are you able to provide a link please?

RandomNumbers78843
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by RandomNumbers78843 »

FCD94 wrote::idea: Those little plastic caps on the end of the wires - what are those? If possible, are you able to provide a link please?
I'm kind of hoping they're LED's.. :lol:

Stumbled across this thread, as I think I've snapped the wires on her right hand at the plate :(
The multi-stranded wire definitely looks the go when I get enough courage (and maybe some more close up pictures of the new WM mounting plate, as apparently it's changed?)
Isla and Emily
#242 #273 WM164D

INFORMATIONS