Starpery.com

my af doll is a goner

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
setevoltas
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: my af doll is a goner

Post by setevoltas »

The back/ waist joint unfortunately can snap on almost any doll. What caught my attention here is that it sounds like you had wired wrists, which an eight month old doll shouldn't have had if the manufacturer was using an updated skeleton. I was under the impression AF has moved to hinged necks and wrists along with everyone else by now.

In any case, AF for me appears to be sliding toward that realm where you REALLY want to be working with a known vendor to guarantee quality.
Sete's Gatas
Instagram - @setesartphotography

TChris
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by TChris »

I am currently in process of buying a new doll to replace/supplement two WM dolls I currently own. One of which had an older skeleton which has loose joints all over. The replacement had the skeleton in page 1, also loose joints all over, both have the copper wire fingers which were removed from both due to failures (original doll had fingers failing within a week). 2nd doll actually had the little U shape brackets at the neck, and eventually both ankles break in exactly the same space.. I had to weld 3 of the same broken part on one doll.. ridiculous. Those brackets are made of porous pot metal.. I've found an AF doll I really want and am willing to pay the premium for the silicon head, and after asking about skeletons I was shown the one on page 1, which is the same "Upgraded" skeleton in my WM doll.. I'm very weary of buying another doll with that skeleton, mainly because I expect the fingers to break/poke/twist and the high chances of loose joints.. I've looked at the sponsored vendors here, and interestingly enough the vendor that seems to have the best skeleton is actually one from ali express (selling mainly AF stuff) lol. They gave me a choice of the aforementioned skeleton and a XY style gear/rod finger skeleton.. provided legit pics whenever I asked and all. To be honest it's a bit disappointing that the endorsed sellers I found are either having a very high mark up or can only offer the crappy skeleton. One I was almost committed to is adding $200 for shipping due to covid.. on everything.. so $200 for a head or a complete body plus head.. really?

TChris
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by TChris »

setevoltas wrote:The back/ waist joint unfortunately can snap on almost any doll. What caught my attention here is that it sounds like you had wired wrists, which an eight month old doll shouldn't have had if the manufacturer was using an updated skeleton. I was under the impression AF has moved to hinged necks and wrists along with everyone else by now.

In any case, AF for me appears to be sliding toward that realm where you REALLY want to be working with a known vendor to guarantee quality.
I just went straight to the AF website as I was trying to verify a seller as an authorized vendor.. I asked about the skeleton and this is what they sent me (the basic skeleton). He did not have a pic of the shrugging/hingewrist etc skeleton. However an endorsed vendor selling the same doll here sent me a video and it shows the same skeleton on the first page.. (finger wire). I was also hearing they can't sell the silicon head separate from the AF guy, but on the vendor website (and some others) you can for like 800-1000USD. I'm apprehensive about spending 2k+ for a doll with that skeleton to be honest, even if the price comes mainly from the head.
Attachments
skeleton.png
skeleton.png (9.2 MiB) Viewed 354 times

PDutus
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by PDutus »

Hi TChris :) That's the old basic skeleton with the gooseneck.

Send him this photo and tell him that, as far as you are aware, this is the current Aiersha chassis. As AF is part of Aiersha, ask him why this skeleton isn't an option.

娃娃头部选项 (cropped 3x2).jpg
娃娃头部选项 (cropped 3x2).jpg (133.66 KiB) Viewed 351 times
My girls:
Sophie - JY 175 (JY Head #167)
Valentina - JY 175 (JY Head #101)
Kiania - Sino 161 (Heads S6 & S7)
Rashona - WM 172B (WM Head #64)
Helga - JY 166 (JY head #101)
Patsy - JY 166 (JY Head #102)
Ingrid - JY 166 (SM Head #76)
Monique - JY 165SR (JY Head #134)

setevoltas
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by setevoltas »

Agreed with PDutus. If the seller can't guarantee an upgraded (hinged neck/ wrist, shrugging shoulder, improved ROM) skeleton, I'd be inclined to think they are trying to unload a pre-made stock doll.
Sete's Gatas
Instagram - @setesartphotography

Ztar073
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Ztar073 »

Kaori Kusanagi wrote:What sanity? If I had any left I probably wouldn't have gotten into any of this in the first place. ;)
:thumbs_up:

SaraHayes
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by SaraHayes »

Kira-sama wrote:The nut is there to hold the skeleton in place during the pouring stage and if I remember correctly, it also has something to do with the design (bumps and grooves) of the vaginal cavity.

JB Weld might be able to help with fixing your doll's spine and I would try that first over welding due to the possibility of overheating your doll's TPE and melting some of it.

thanks i might have to try that. i ended up putting the doll back in the shipping box and storing it in the closet. its become impossible to move 2 broke pieces around. ive found out not only does it have a nut in the front but also in the back. so i would have to knock those off with a hammer or something to do the pipe fix the other person linked. furthermore stretching the tpe to get inside is like trying to tear a phonebook. i will have to make the cut really huge in order to seal this thing correctly. maybe even completely cut it almost in half because there is no way i can reach inside and bond the back. i can barely do the front. im also having a hard time even lining the spine up to the waist. its so hard to do that i hurt a muscle in my side stretching to much. i think its pretty much a goner at this point. also the hands are completely broke off and the ankle is getting flimsy. so ive stopped caring about being delicate at this point. it really sucks all the care i put into washing it and oiling it etc and it just breaks before a year is up. i't was good while it lasted but i cant see spending this much money again on something so unreliable.

TChris
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by TChris »

Just curious, when you opened your doll was there any brown reside (rust) around your joints/tpe around them?

I like blondes

Post by I like blondes »

I think I have an old skeleton on my AF doll & purchased her in November. Noobie mistake.
A N G E L / F A L L E N

Kira-sama
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Kira-sama »

SaraHayes wrote:
Kira-sama wrote:The nut is there to hold the skeleton in place during the pouring stage and if I remember correctly, it also has something to do with the design (bumps and grooves) of the vaginal cavity.

JB Weld might be able to help with fixing your doll's spine and I would try that first over welding due to the possibility of overheating your doll's TPE and melting some of it.

thanks i might have to try that. i ended up putting the doll back in the shipping box and storing it in the closet. its become impossible to move 2 broke pieces around. ive found out not only does it have a nut in the front but also in the back. so i would have to knock those off with a hammer or something to do the pipe fix the other person linked. furthermore stretching the tpe to get inside is like trying to tear a phonebook. i will have to make the cut really huge in order to seal this thing correctly. maybe even completely cut it almost in half because there is no way i can reach inside and bond the back. i can barely do the front. im also having a hard time even lining the spine up to the waist. its so hard to do that i hurt a muscle in my side stretching to much. i think its pretty much a goner at this point. also the hands are completely broke off and the ankle is getting flimsy. so ive stopped caring about being delicate at this point. it really sucks all the care i put into washing it and oiling it etc and it just breaks before a year is up. i't was good while it lasted but i cant see spending this much money again on something so unreliable.
I would leave your doll on the ground and do the repair there if it's difficult to move it. May need to cut the box open though to make room. If you mean the fingers broke off, then all you may need to do is replace the copper wiring inside. As for the ankles, you may just need to tighten an ankle nut and that should be it and maybe add some loctite (think it's safe for TPE, but not sure. Just don't get it outside the nut) or JB Weld, to prevent the nut from backing out again.

In my experience, AF was so-so in terms of quality (welds) of the skeleton. My second AF doll had one or both of her ankles welded at the joint that enables left and right movement.

INFORMATIONS