Starpery.com

Black Crud around Neck Bolt

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Pygmalion09
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Black Crud around Neck Bolt

Post by Pygmalion09 »

Dear TDF members,

I’ve got a fairly new TPE doll (4 months old). I’ve been washing, oiling, and powdering the doll about once a month. I’m careful not to get water in any orifices and especially around the neck bolt. There is a black stain (mold, oil, grease?) which has developed around the neck bolt. There is no stain or marks where the bolt attaches to the head. Every time I screw the head on, there is friction from the TPE rubbing against the chin/neck area, and perhaps that is causing some of the dirt/grime/build-up, if that is what the problem is. Honestly, I don’t know what to think at this point. I was able to clean the stain off with baby oil (except for a thin ring closest to the screw) and then applied some cornstarch to make screwing the head on more smooth. Anyways, I would love it if anyone here could provide some input as to what this is and how to clean and care for the affected area. Thank you in advance.

Just to note: I have not seen other black stains or marks on the doll (Irontech 159) which is outstanding.

P.S. I would post images, but I'm new to the forum and still figuring things out.

Pygmalion09
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Re: Black Crud around Neck Bolt

Post by Pygmalion09 »

I think I have an idea of what is going on:

A post I found here on ' Cleaning Black Mold' mentions welding flux https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 5&t=128277 I think that the stain might be a residual grease or oil (as it does seem to just be on the top surface of the TPE - not deep inside the neck cavity). The "ring" of stain I mentioned having trouble removing earlier is a bit like the peeling TPE that you see in the below image:

https://i.imgur.com/zFJoUne.jpg

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

My first doll (TPE) developed a black stain on top of the neck stump where the head had rubbed against it when putting it off and on whenever it was bath-time.
Then found a post about Vaseline, that reduced the TPE rub :)

BigJoeBuck
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by BigJoeBuck »

its grease i think , my nikki has the same issue i just clean it with baby oil, the crud comes from when i put her head on as i use lots of vaseline around her neck to screw on her head.
"love is the only engine of survival"-Leonard Cohen

"all those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain"-roy batty

there are only three kinds of people those who make things happen those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened

Alabina21
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Alabina21 »

Pygmalion09 wrote:There is a black stain (mold, oil, grease?) which has developed around the neck bolt.
That is grease from either the bolt on the neck or from the head. That grease is also on the M16 bolt connector, hard to see, so careful when handling.

Pygmalion09
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by Pygmalion09 »

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. Yes, it makes sense that is would be grease as it is not penetrating deeply (see pictures). I will try using Vaseline on the neck and see if I can reduce friction that way. Thanks again!
Attachments
stain2.jpg
stain2.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 438 times
stain1.jpg
stain1.jpg (763.11 KiB) Viewed 438 times

pygmalion2
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by pygmalion2 »

I have the same problem with my silicone dolls. Cleaning with lacquer thinner and Qtip removes the black metal oxide(?) dust from the silicone. Acetone or alcohol only removes some but not all of the black dust. I also clean the bolt threads with the lacquer thinner soaked Qtip. I bought the lacquer thinner from Home Depot.
<em>I know the good artist</em>

INFORMATIONS