Starpery.com

The Android/Doll's Skeleton

Got an idea? Need an invention?
GrimStrike
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

The Android/Doll's Skeleton

Post by GrimStrike »

You never truly see it but the skeleton is truly instrumental in the final outlook of humans. So far all of the dolls that I've seen or heard of basically use PVC pipe for the skeleton and the outer form is molded silicone. That seems fine and all but it doesn't really seem all that real. I've heard that many of the doll's knees feel much like their breasts. Has anyone heard of or know of dolls (though I doubt it but also android projects) where the skeleton used resembles that of the human skeleton?

Stef
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Stef »

I remember a Japanese manufacturer who tried that - Medidoll - and it was a complete failure, the doll was a hell to assemble, costed way too much money and time to make; they quickly switched back to a much more simple skeleton.

Tbuilder
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Tbuilder »

http://lisalichtenfels.net/pages/gallery01.html

several artists in the Inventor's corner are working on or discussing this same idea.

Lichtenfels already did it with nylon and batting and an accurate skeleton.
I don't know what these things cost but Im betting there pricey.

I watched a youtube video of a 4woods or candygirl ? I don't recall which one.
They were moving her leg around and it looked pretty realistic to me.

AlexKnight
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by AlexKnight »

THe problem with a human skeleton is, it's build to use muscles for movements.

The human skeleton just can't move on it's own, it relies on the muscles around it.

Creating something that does the same thing as muscles do, is very hard, and expensive to duplicate.

So, building a doll with a humanlike skeleton, needs humanlike muscles for proper joint movement. Which is sad to say, not financially doable...
Check out Kayla's Christmas dress by clicking here. - December 17, 2015
or have a look at Ashley's Coverdoll release by clicking here - June 13, 2015

A must-see video on Realdoll softness! Click here!

Here's my Doll Album, with pictures of Jenna*, Melissa*, Kayla & Ashley, and some other things: Doll Album Gallery
*I no longer have Jenna or Melissa.

dodgers
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Basic Design

Post by dodgers »

I agree, there is no way to make a cost effective full human skeleton for the use in a love doll.
However a basic skeleton, as used today with a few additions for joint movement could work with the addition of small motors to give the effect of muscular movement.
Look at some of the artificial limbs used today. They are making big improvements in them, and they do provide some very amazing results for the people that use them.
A central processing unit, placed in the chest wall of a doll, that could be programmed from a laptop from a small port in the top of the head could make the movements in these limbs possible.

technoguy
Ex-Member

Post by technoguy »

I'm imagining a plastic skeleton that is made identical to a human one. Only instead of muscles, we would need some sort of material that could undergo extreme constriction when electirical current was supplied to it. I do not know if such materials exist, but I think I remember reading somewhere that they have something called electroconstrictive material that will shrink when voltage is passed through it. If so, then that material could be used to make the artificial analogs of the muscles found in the human body.

Once that slight problem is out of the way, the android's brain would be able to move its body about by supplying electrical currents to the appropriate artificial muscles. Result: am moving android being. Then just cover the whole thing with a nice thin skin of appropriately colored silicone elastomer.

Such a creature would be virutally indistinquishable from a human being. Before long we should also be able to make robot animals that would faithfully replicate the motion of animals such as cats and dogs.

Just thinking about this makes me feel like I'm playing God!

technoguy

Keithallen
Ex-Member

Post by Keithallen »

Technoguy wrote
I do not know if such materials exist, but I think I remember reading somewhere that they have something called electroconstrictive material that will shrink when voltage is passed through it. If so, then that material could be used to make the artificial analogs of the muscles found in the human body.
You just described Nytinol...

The skeleton is not the main problem. An android's skeleton will be diferent that a human's, but it is possible to make it 'look' human-like from the outside. Personally, I think the skeleton should be all stainless steel, for a conductive 'common' ground (which reduces wiring), as well as the strength factor. I've messed with plastic skeletons, they suck.

What is the main problem with animating an android, is power requirements. So far, there is no compact power sourse that can drive an anilated beign for very long, unless you have a cord attached to it.

Crazyhorse

Post by Crazyhorse »

keithallen wrote:
What is the main problem with animating an android, is power requirements. So far, there is no compact power sourse that can drive an anilated beign for very long, unless you have a cord attached to it.

My point of view is, so what if it has a cord? If it can do even a few of the things we want it to do, who cares? :lol: She shouldn't need to go far from the bedroom anyway, plenty of outlets. :wink: Maybe not practical for other kinds of androids but for a sex bot I say no problem lets plug her in, then plug into her. :D

femdoll

Post by femdoll »

The problem with using 'realistic' skeleton is that in humans, bones are sometimes very close to the surface. Look at your joints in knees and arms.
This would give problems in dolls, because the risk of tearing. Human skin doesn't do that hehe..

For the rest, it must be possible to use real skeletons... In a sence it's the same as any other 'bone' structure I recon... If you see on Mythbusters, they often use real skeletons for their ballastic gels, and they also use 'simple' molds and stuff...

But then again, if ya need to go that far.... RD's already look strikingly real to me... (and... eh, if you want realism, most of those RD's features aren't realistic also, meaning veryveryvery big boobs, with extremely slim waistline.... eh...yeah sure....)

GrimStrike
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by GrimStrike »

The Lisa Lichtenfels site is pretty good. Some of those were kinda freaky to me though but for the most part I would like to get some of the tutorials about how to do stuff like that.

I've heard of Nytinol. But it doesn't have that much of a constriction and I've heard that it burns out incredibly easy.
The problem with using 'realistic' skeleton is that in humans, bones are sometimes very close to the surface. Look at your joints in knees and arms.
This would give problems in dolls, because the risk of tearing.
Kinda the whole point. As for tearing, put a little bit more "skin" around the joints. All of our joints have that as well.

It doesn't have to be 100% exact replica of the human skeleton but enough so that when you close your eyes and start feeling around a knee feels like a knee.

Perhaps in the case of the forearm you have (very simply put) two bent metal rods welded together at the ends and then the same kind of hinge system I've seen in YouTube videos. Could put some sort of covering over the hinge to simulate the elbow bone.

INFORMATIONS