betterlovedoll.com

Chatroom and Windows Vista

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.
zdrchango

Post by zdrchango »

Ive heard thru the grapevine that MS has chosen not to support Java starting with Vista. You may have to obtain a Java engine from a 3rd party and install it if you have Java related issues. I dont know it this applies to chat, but over the years, a lot of people jumped on the Java bandwagon...

I havent done the research to back this up cause it doesnt affect me and I have retired from being a nerd. Good Luck BL, we miss you in chat.
Passion is a virtue [url=http://www.dollalbum.com/gallery/zees_place]Z's Place home of Danielle, Lindsey, & Sunni[/url]

casperghostboy
Ex-Member

Post by casperghostboy »

zdrchango wrote:Ive heard thru the grapevine that MS has chosen not to support Java starting with Vista. You may have to obtain a Java engine from a 3rd party and install it if you have Java related issues. I dont know it this applies to chat, but over the years, a lot of people jumped on the Java bandwagon...

I havent done the research to back this up cause it doesnt affect me and I have retired from being a nerd. Good Luck BL, we miss you in chat.
JRE (Java Runtime Engine): http://www.java.com/ . The Official Sun stuff. Has JRE's for Windows, Linux/Unix/FreeBSD and Mac OS X. Windows and Mac OS X versions are easy as cake to install. Linux, you need to have some knowledge and access to root. Luckily Debian has it as an Aptitude (same as apt-get) package

just do this:

Code: Select all

khavens@kevinshavendotcom ~$ su
Password: <type root password here and press Enter>
kevinshavendotcom /home/khavens# apt-get install ia32-sun-java5-bin
<apt-get will check repositories (in your /etc/apt/sources.list file) and download all things needed and all dependencies.>
<Then apt-get will call dpkg and install what's needed in the order the dependencies call for>
kevinshavendotcom /home/khavens# exit
exit
khavens@kevinshavendotcom ~$
Of course, I'm only speaking of Debian, and I'm citing from Konsole. And I snipped out the needless text, because The official Debian APT HOWTO page, chapter 3.2 will show some typical text output of apt-get.

What I know for Fedora Core, it's the YUM tool. For some RedHat-blessed distros, you could use RPM Package Manager.

(And for those uneasy with shell prompts, you could use Synaptic (GNOME) or Adept (KDE). Both work in either environment, provided you have the runtime libraries for the other window manager.)

[OK, I'm biased on Debian. It was the first Linux distro I tried, and I like it. I put it on a basically screwed-up Windows box (I checked the Registry and I saw rootkit after rootkit and I thought to myself that I don't have the time to nuke these), and when I got the computer, I didn't have the Windows Restore CD/DVD and just grabbed Debian Etch (the release I'm using now) Binary-1 and installed over it. When I first tried Debian, I used Sarge. Maybe I'm TOO MUCH of a nerd. :roll: ]

A couple of Linux Geeks and One Windows XP User:

CasperGhostboy, Daphne (The Linux Geeks) and Kathryn (Who really doesn't give a care about Linux, but cares enough for her fiance and his doll to like it, and a Windows user)
CasperGhostboy, Daphne and Tiffany

My Doll-Friends: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=10382

The best part of waking up, is Ubuntu in your cup!

Siber
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Siber »

My only issue with Linux is that it won't run my games.

INFORMATIONS