Questions about molding/working with TPE

Got an idea? Need an invention?
dotmatrix
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Questions about molding/working with TPE

Post by dotmatrix »

Hi,
I'm a new doll owner, but long-time tinkerer and maker. I can't help wanting to make mods to my doll over time, and being that TPE is a material i've never worked with i figured i'd ask some advice.

The main thing i'm interested in is if it's possible to pour TPE into a mold. I know usually an injection process is used, but TPE has a relatively low melting point. Has anyone had any success with this?

I know i could just try it out myself, but that brings me to my second question: where can i buy TPE for this kind of stuff?

Thanks in advance for any information shared. I plan to share my experiments as i figure this out for myself.

BigBurrito

Re: Questions about molding/working with TPE

Post by BigBurrito »

dotmatrix wrote:Hi,
I'm a new doll owner, but long-time tinkerer and maker. I can't help wanting to make mods to my doll over time, and being that TPE is a material i've never worked with i figured i'd ask some advice.

The main thing i'm interested in is if it's possible to pour TPE into a mold. I know usually an injection process is used, but TPE has a relatively low melting point. Has anyone had any success with this?

I know i could just try it out myself, but that brings me to my second question: where can i buy TPE for this kind of stuff?

Thanks in advance for any information shared. I plan to share my experiments as i figure this out for myself.
You may want to look at my post, been doing TPE for years, check out "building my Janis" thread. I always buy a fleshlight, and melted it down, but i still have problems with bubbles at times, greatly depends how hot i get it

grimreefer24601

Post by grimreefer24601 »

Nice looking mod BigBurrito.

Making a TPE doll is going to probably cost you more than buying one. You'll have to make the mold. You'll have to design and make skeleton (note plastic wont work steel or aluminum), or find someone to sell it to you. I sell TPE, but you'd need 50 to 60 pounds for a full size doll. Plus heated TPE is toxic, so you'll have to be careful.

People wanting to make a doll at home will have a much easier time using silicone which is cold poured.

BigBurrito

Post by BigBurrito »

Soo true, i only mold TPE for smaller doll parts up to the face mask, i would never make a body with it. I made a body with a PVC skeleton, foam rubber, pant hoses, and silicon. A lot lighter and repairable

dotmatrix
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by dotmatrix »

grimreefer24601 wrote:Nice looking mod BigBurrito.

Making a TPE doll is going to probably cost you more than buying one. You'll have to make the mold. You'll have to design and make skeleton (note plastic wont work steel or aluminum), or find someone to sell it to you. I sell TPE, but you'd need 50 to 60 pounds for a full size doll. Plus heated TPE is toxic, so you'll have to be careful.

People wanting to make a doll at home will have a much easier time using silicone which is cold poured.
Oh agreed. I don't have plans that large. I'm more interested in custom inserts, ears, etc. Mostly just to learn the medium. Also, the only reason i'm messing with TPE is for the sake of compatibility with my doll. I've heard a lot of conflicting accounts of silicone interacting with TPE and i figure it's best to play it safe and learn something new.

grimreefer24601

I'm always playing around with TPE. Let me know if I can help. Advice or getting TPE or whatever.

Smutje
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Smutje »

grimreefer24601 wrote:I'm always playing around with TPE. ...
Grim, had you ever tried to use a hot-melt gun as an extruder (small size) for TPE?

dotmatrix
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by dotmatrix »

@grim: I actually put in an order for some TPE from your webshop a day or two ago. Waiting on it to arrive so i can start testing some things.

grimreefer24601

I'm pretty sure I know that order. Scheduled a pickup for tomorrow. You got the last of that color TPE I had as samples, but I got a new stock order today with a couple of kilograms of more samples and other things. Going to take some time to add it all to my store.

BigBurrito

Post by BigBurrito »

grimreefer24601 wrote:I'm pretty sure I know that order. Scheduled a pickup for tomorrow. You got the last of that color TPE I had as samples, but I got a new stock order today with a couple of kilograms of more samples and other things. Going to take some time to add it all to my store.
I may also be interested in some flesh TPE also

Rick9191

Post by Rick9191 »

Has anyone tried cutting tpe with a hot wire or hot knife? Still working out a procedure for enlarging labia. Would like clean slivers of material to work with if possible.

dotmatrix
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by dotmatrix »

Probably best to melt and pour into a shallow mold to get clean bits to work with. TPE retains heat really well and will fuse back together before you can pull it away. Maybe if you chilled it prior?

I finally got all my materials and tools in. Going to try my hand at a custom insert first, then move onto more advanced stuff.

@grim: Do you know if/when you'll have stock for BodyColor? Last time i tried to buy some and it said you were out. I want to see how well it performs as a temporary glue for TPE.

grimreefer24601

@Rick I use scissors mainly for cutting TPE strips. The problem with heat is getting the temperature just right. Too little it doesn't work. Too much it burn the TPE. Plus TPE fumes are pretty bad for you. I do my heat work outside. It can be done, but you need to get your temperature just right.

@dotmatrix I'm working on the new formula, so I haven't bottle the older stuff lately. I probably have jars of it I could bottle. What are you looking for? New formula is still in testing for awhile.

Rick9191

Post by Rick9191 »

dotmatrix wrote:Probably best to melt and pour into a shallow mold to get clean bits to work with. TPE retains heat really well and will fuse back together before you can pull it away. Maybe if you chilled it prior?

I finally got all my materials and tools in. Going to try my hand at a custom insert first, then move onto more advanced stuff.

@grim: Do you know if/when you'll have stock for BodyColor? Last time i tried to buy some and it said you were out. I want to see how well it performs as a temporary glue for TPE.
grimreefer24601 wrote:@Rick I use scissors mainly for cutting TPE strips. The problem with heat is getting the temperature just right. Too little it doesn't work. Too much it burn the TPE. Plus TPE fumes are pretty bad for you. I do my heat work outside. It can be done, but you need to get your temperature just right.

@dotmatrix I'm working on the new formula, so I haven't bottle the older stuff lately. I probably have jars of it I could bottle. What are you looking for? New formula is still in testing for awhile.
Thankin' ya both for the input and help which also means a visit back to my favorite accessory supplier for more supplies. And of course workin' on molds. Dotz, what media do ya use for your molds and does tpe generate heat when molding? I'll be molding some nether lips not all that big. Maybe 2" long 1" wide and 1/4" thick give or take. Probably thinner.

BigBurrito

Post by BigBurrito »

Rick9191 wrote:
dotmatrix wrote:Probably best to melt and pour into a shallow mold to get clean bits to work with. TPE retains heat really well and will fuse back together before you can pull it away. Maybe if you chilled it prior?

grimreefer24601 wrote:@Rick I use scissors mainly for cutting TPE strips. The problem with heat is getting the temperature just right. Too little it doesn't work. Too much it burn the TPE. Plus TPE fumes are pretty bad for you. I do my heat work outside. It can be done, but you need to get your temperature just right.

Thankin' ya both for the input and help which also means a visit back to my favorite accessory supplier for more supplies. And of course workin' on molds. Dotz, what media do ya use for your molds and does tpe generate heat when molding? I'll be molding some nether lips not all that big. Maybe 2" long 1" wide and 1/4" thick give or take. Probably thinner.
I make a model from clay, then mold with plaster of Paris

INFORMATIONS