In Loving Memory of our dear friend Slate

Paying our respect to TDF members and their friends and family who have passed on.
Ishtaria
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

In Loving Memory of our dear friend Slate

Post by Ishtaria »

Dear Members of the Doll Forum,

With tremendous sorrow, I regret to inform you that our dear friend and fellow Doll Forum member Slate has passed away. He was a super moderator and managed both the Latex Inflatables and Other Inflatables forums.

I am sure that those of you who knew him would agree with me, that he was not only a cherished friend, but was also one of the most kind and loving people among us. His contributions to the Doll Forum are legendary. He always brought with him a bright, cheery attitude, always with kind words for everyone.

Sadly, today I received a letter in the mail from Donna, Slate's wife:

Sad news - Scott, AKA, Slate crossed-over on Christmas night.
He had asked me to let you and Slate's friends know at the forum.
Our internet & email is down for a while, so I am sending these
materials now.

Scott had a difficult road, but he always kept his great humor
and expressed love - the end day was peaceful for him.

Love greatly everyday
and
Peace be with you.

Thanks for your friendship

- Donna
A.K.A
Slate's wife
Image For those of you who would like to revisit Slate's writings and photography, here are some links to use:

Slate's Doll Forum Profile

Slate's Doll Forum Posts

Slate's Photo Gallery

Donna has sent me more information and materials which I will post here in a day or two, after I can gain access to a good scanner.

Please remember Scott/Slate in your heart and your prayers. His passing is an incredible loss to us all. :(

Ish

UPDATE: Jan. 24, 2004

Here is the Remberance card and the clip from Slate's obituary. Just click on the thumbnail for the full size image.

ImageImage

Ish

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

Slate was a couple of months younger than me (February 1956), which somehow brings home to me how tenuous our hold on this universe is. It also brings to mind how important it is to make the best of the life we each have. Like so many leaders of this forum, Slate left the world -- our small part of it at least -- better, more interesting, and more fun than it would have been if he had never lived.

Bill
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Bill »

I'm happy to know the pain is gone now. I'll miss him and all his help on the forum.

shmeagle

greatest sadness :(

Post by shmeagle »

A good person is someone who is missed by many,

A GREAT person is someone who is missed by all...

He was truley a Great Person!

May the Lord give him the eternal peace he has earned.

He will be greatly missed......shmeagle

captain43

Post by captain43 »

That's sad news, I always enjoyed reading his posts. Slate always expressed genuine interest in whatever anyone had to say. This is a tremendous loss to the dollforum. It seems that those who give so much of themselves to the benefit of others, tend to be taken from us way too soon. I didn't know him personally, but anyone could tell he was a goodhearted man. We'll miss you, Slate/Scott, and thanks for what you gave to us.
Official Tina Teddy Babe owner!

midnight
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by midnight »

In my short time here, I did not get to know Slate....but my thoughts and condolences go out to his Family and friends. :cry:

Ricardo
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor
Location: Oregon, Illinois ~ Not quite the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here ...

Post by Ricardo »

Scott/Slate was a very great man, and has been and will be missed on a very deep level. He was a great friend and so genuine and compassionate. I've thought of him almost daily, wondered how he was doing. I knew it was getting difficult for him to write and attend to the forum as diligently as he had in the beginning, and the past few months he'd grown silent, so I knew his time was coming.

One of the blessings is that he knew it was coming, and was able to do things many of us will never get to, because we won't know when our time will come to an end.

I felt like he was a brother to me. He was a great advocate and support and had a great sense of humor. I am just so grateful I had the opportunity to know him via this incredible forum!

:cry: 'cardo 'n brent :cry:
8) 'cardo 8) [i]Champagne wishes and Silicone dreams[/i] :smilecolros:

Raingirl
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Raingirl »

Slate showed such grace and courage in his final fight. It is a comfort knowing he is at peace now. It's people like him that keep me coming back to the Forum--his knowledge and enthusiasm are shared by many.

Rainy

quatlox
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by quatlox »

:cry: WoW :cry:

A good friend has passed.

I have never known someone in cyberspace and had them die.

I didn't think it would be like this, but it's very sad.

Bless his soul.

it is a sad day in doll land

Thank you Donna for letting us know about Scott. It must be very hard for you right now. I want to express my sincerist condolences to the loss of your husband Scott, who we all knew as Slate. He will be missed here. Scott always kept the Forums he moderated busy will fresh talk and ideas, it was always a pleasure to converse with him.

You will be in our prayers.

quatlox

soon2be

Post by soon2be »

Raingirl wrote:Slate showed such grace and courage in his final fight. It is a comfort knowing he is at peace now. It's people like him that keep me coming back to the Forum--his knowledge and enthusiasm are shared by many.
Rainy
Amen. If it's not too painful, if anyone knows what killed him, please post here - many of us - me included are about his age!

There is an Oingo-Boingo song that comes to mind - lyrics below, the line "So celebrate while you still can" is one we all can think about, onto the lyrics of this classic song:

You worry too much - You make yourself sad. You can't change fate - But don't feel so bad.
Enjoy it while you can - It's just like the weather. So quit complaining brother - No one lives forever!

I'm so happy dancing while the grim reaper cuts, cuts, cuts - But he can't get me - I'm as clever as can be, and I'm very quick, but don't forget - No one lives forever!

No one beats him at his game
for very long - but just the same -
Who cares, there's no place safe to hide - Nowhere to run -no time to cry.

So celebrate while you still can 'Cause any second it may end.
And when it's all been said and done - Better that you had some fun. Instead of hiding in a shell - Why make your life a living hell? So have a toast, and down the cup- And drink to bones that turn to dust ('cause) No one lives forever!
"Quick tempered queen knows what she wants -
and what I got is what its not" - Devo.

Ricardo
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor
Location: Oregon, Illinois ~ Not quite the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here ...

Post by Ricardo »

Soon2BeDivorced wrote:If it's not too painful, if anyone knows what killed him, please post here - many of us - me included are about his age!
Soon2,

It was Slate's wish that this not be discussed in an open forum, and since Tina/Ishtaria is our point of contact, I think it best to leave it to her to make a decision whether or not to reveal the cause of his demise.

:cry: 'cardo
8) 'cardo 8) [i]Champagne wishes and Silicone dreams[/i] :smilecolros:

ziggy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Slates Passing

Post by ziggy »

Ish,

Please pass my codolances and deepest sympathy to Slates wife, Donna.

Ziggy

Figure8

Post by Figure8 »

Slate was a really person that shared something we all have in common. His posts were good reading and he had a nice outlook. He will be missed, not only by us here, but by those that knew him outside of this message board. Farewell and God bless.

silicomorphos
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by silicomorphos »

May God gives him peace in his new jorney!

May life gives hope and strength to the ones that left behind!

My deepest sympathy to the family!

S.D
Former owner of Nicolina / Tracy

Ishtaria
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Ishtaria »

Late last summer, Slate was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. This is probably among the worst types of cancer to contract. Once you begin to suspect that something is wrong, and seek treatment, it has already progressed far beyond the point of being treatable.

In mid-October Slate told a few of the people he was closest to that he was ill, and that he only had a few months more of life a head of him. At the time, he did not want this to be generally known publicly. So no one here talked about his illness openly. I've spoken with him on the phone a number of times to see how he was doing. But I stopped calling shortly before Thanksgiving because it seemed to be becoming straining to him. He was having trouble with severe nausia, and was taking morphine to help manage the pain.

The nausea created a problem where he had trouble taking the medication he needed because he would need to ingest it. At one point that I know of, he was put on a morphine pump, but it was giving him trouble other kinds of problems so his doctor took him off of it. His illness was indirectly causing other health problems, such as having trouble seeing where it was difficult discerning words on his computer monitor. It was around that same time that he made his final post here in the Site Manager's forum, on November 14th.

I have had several friends who had long term illnesses, and who were considered terminal. One of them was my mother, several others were friends whom I have known for most than 15 years. Something struck me about the manner in which both Scott and Donna faced the closing of his life. There was a profound sense of grace and honesty about it that was almost indescribable. At the same time, Scott was up beat and yet, reconciled.

The last time that I spoke with him, he told me that he didn't think he was going to make it to New Years. But there was no sense of dread or regret. Nor was there any form of denial. We spoke several times about the process of passing on. My views on it are a bit different from most folks, and anyone who knows the extent of my involvement with the mystical community understands that.

In one conversation we had, I mentioned that I did not think that the universe was hostile, and that I didn't think that it was a horrific experience to pass on. I mentioned that my experiences with others who had passed, was that they always seemed "involved" with those closest to them for a few days afterwards. And that after that initial period there's a sense of their being "involved" with what ever takes place after we have gone. Scott was very open to discussing this and did not have any preconceived notions of what it would be. But his response was classic, he said, "Well, I'm gonna find out soon enough!" And there was a slight smile in his voice as he said it.

I feel profoundly humbled by the way that Scott undertook this journey that he had no choice but to take. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Scott was, and still is, a very special kind of person. And the world is a worse place for not having him with us any longer.

It is sad to me that he passed on Christmas night. I had so much hoped that Scott and Donna would be able to have these last holidays together. And I hoped that Scott would have felt comfortable and fully able to enjoy them in that sense.

Ish

INFORMATIONS