Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

How do I Put a Real Doll in long term Storage?

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

thaniel98
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

How do I Put a Real Doll in long term Storage?

Post by thaniel98 »

I have a 2015 Real Doll 2 Body A and I will be moving overseas for the next 2-3 years. I am trying to decide if it would be better to find her a new home or put her in long term storage.

Do anyone have any advice? Would it be wise to put her in the crate and in storage for 2 years?

miles mcbroom
Ex-Member

Re: How do I Put a Real Doll in long term Storage?

Post by miles mcbroom »

put the doll in a cheap storage unit (5ftx5ft), and pay for the storage for 3 years in advance. you can get a storage unit for like $35 a month. I think she may be worth keeping, especially if she an expensive brand like real doll.

thaniel98
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by thaniel98 »

I am doing a corporate re-location so they will be funding the storage as I am leaving much of my furniture in storage as well. My big concern is will I damage the doll by having her in the crate for 2 straight years having from the neck bolt.

mikescamera
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mikescamera »

has she ever been to the uk... :D

IAdolllover

Post by IAdolllover »

Maybe you can find a local member that you can build trust with and have him or her store it for you.

upsux
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by upsux »

Real Dolls are made to be stored in the crate. Assuming the storage site is climate-controlled there will be no issues with humidity, heat, and from what I've seen, no issues with insects or pests either. Being a paranoid person I'd probably grab a few small 4x4's and store the crate off the ground in the unlikely event that flooding or small pests get into the unit.

dodgeman
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dodgeman »

I agree with what Upsux posted there Thaniel. If she is in the crate with the doors screwed shut and the door clips in place for security and has foam padding behind her butt or a soft pillow which would be better and put something soft under her feet to keep them off of the bottom of the crate, she should be fine. That is assuming that the storage unit is not too hot or humid during the season changes and do elevate the crate a little higher like Upsux recommended just in case of water getting under the crate. The crates do have 2x4 skids that give then a little elevation to start with but, a little more helps. :thumbs_up:

My body C doll is hanging on her doll stand for just over 2 years now with her feet elevated about 3 inches and she is perfect, No issues at all and like Upsux said, they are designed to be stored in the crate or a doll stand hanging by the neck bolt. If I remember, you had gotten a stance modifier from me for your doll and that can be kept inside the crate also during storage. :D

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Do not powder her with cornstarch brfore ctating her it will attract pests. Leave her hanging as she was when you recieved her. Use gold bond medicated foot powder to powder before storage.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

On a side note a guy stored his doll after corn starch powdering and a mouse broke in ate her toe and died in the corner of the crate
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

Scaper
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Scaper »

I have stored my dolls for ~7 months at a time, hanging in their crates with the original foam packing. I make sure they are wearing something relatively loose, white, and there are no creases/folds in the clothing between the foam packing and the dolls. And for some reason I put socks on their hands/feet? After screwing the door on, I use low-residue duct tape around the door to "seal" it (the doors are not air tight on my crates even after modification). I have sanded/painted the crates to look like cabinets and with the duct tape, it makes an almost air tight seal. The low-residue duct tape does not leave any glue behind when you remove it. I have done this for a couple years now and not seen any deterioration in a regular storage unit.

Climate controlled storage prevents the silicon from deteriorating, according to Abyss but it costs significantly more here (almost triple). Depending on how much 2-3 years of climate controlled storage costs in your area, you might be better off finding her a new home and getting a new doll when you return. However, the advantage of storing your doll is she is waiting for you the minute you return!

Good luck with your decision!

INFORMATIONS