Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

A list of things I wish I knew before I purchased my RD2

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

The young gun

A list of things I wish I knew before I purchased my RD2

Post by The young gun »

I had a gut wrenching scary moment tonight involving a garment steamer a Real Doll and some hard water and thought I ruined my new purchase. Every day is a new learning experience and I feel like even though alot of these are my own fault, some of these might happen to someone else and might save them a potential heartache so here goes!

As soon as you receive your delivery, fight all urges to rip her out of her box and go crazy. Keep a level head and try some of these tips:

1. Real Doll 2 (RD2) (body D with gel inserts at least) are heavy! Most of us have stairs and will realize quite rapidly and potentially dangerously in the middle of them how heavy their new doll is. If you insist on lugging her upstairs like a caveman, at least put thick stockings on her legs in the box. Think thick wool or cotton. Why you might ask? In case a leg catches a stair on the way up, it might just save you a potential skin snag or tear. Better options out there might be to premodify a dolly with foam and bring her up one stair at a time or wrap her up with a thick blanket and put her in a trash can and bring upstairs. Neither one of these are my ideas, search the forums and the topics exist already in detail.

2. I personally feel that RD2 were made to be powdered. Keep in mind you only have one first time and you might as well make the most of it. Lightly corn starching the doll will get rid of all tackiness and make her feel so silky smooth it is absolutely incredible.

3. RD2 are usable as is however I think they feel even better warmed. This includes insides and out. Most people use a heating blanket for the body but not a ton is known or talked about for the insides yet (imo). I bought two Fleshlight warmers and feel my experience might help someone. The warmers are not that great. They will get lukewarm after several "cycles" and will last about 10-15 mins max before cooling down immensely. Here is where you should pay attention! Do not re-position a real doll with them inserted! I tore the insert quite easily. If you went with a permanent orifice this would lead to major problems down the road.
I ordered 2 different warmers which seem to have longer and or non existent on/off cycles, I will report back on them hopefully next week
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012L ... UTF8&psc=1
Also I would recommend microwaving water for 6-7 mins and then putting personal lubricant in water and soaking for a few minutes rather than microwaving the personal lubricant. Most bottles will not survive boiling or microwaving and could lead to dangerous hot and cold spots that could lead to scalding where as leaving in very warm water for a few minutes is more of an even heat.

4. RD2 are built very well. Feel free to manipulate the flesh pretty well for this reason: She will become more and more supple on a daily basis. After say a week of thorough enjoyment she will feel like night and day in comparison to out of the box.

5. I sleep with my RD2 on a nightly basis. I feel comfortable wrapping her legs around me. Even with duracast on the hands, I had a finger poke already. I would recommend a body pillow, putting her head on said pillow with one hand up out of the way near the pillow, and the other either on her side or slightly back further to ensure no snags.

6. Some people say mixing a concoction of 1/2 water 1/2 fabric softener is great for the wigs. I personally prefer Suave No Tears detangler. I can wad a wig in a ball, spray this stuff on it and then gently pull all of the tangles out with a soft brush without excessive shedding.

7. The stand sold by Abyss is amazingly sturdy for storage but not very forgiving to adjust with the weight of a doll in the hanging position. I am going to be looking into purchasing a "stance modifier" here shortly to try to increase my standing photo quality. Again, there is gobs of discussions about this in the forums if you dig.

8. Make sure to wash all clothing both lights and darks before putting on the RD2! I did not wash a pair of white panties and the colored tag actually left a small mark within 24 hours. You have been warned. It will come up but why not avoid it all together.

9. My scary moment with the garment steamer hopefully will be a learning experience for someone. I steamed my doll today to try a new form of disinfecting. A few hours later I noticed a major scale build up (Think Stone Men from Game of Thrones). Luckily a quick wash/scrub with rubbing alcohol took care of this. I am unsure if it was just the corn starch buildup or possibly because I am on well water and have higher quantities of minerals in the water. I do not know if I would of been so lucky if I say, steamed the doll and let hang for a week before I checked up on her. Either way, I am not dismissing the use of a garment steamer on a RD2, I would be very careful on the water source though and might even suggest using purified water.

10. Although RD2 orifices are built extremely well, I would strongly suggest to limit what you insert into them. More then say... 2 (maybe 3?) fingers might start to tear and unless you are watching, you might not even notice because the orifices are going to accept what is inserted and tear to accommodate the additional room needed.

11. Remember you are in this for the long haul and your purchase should last you for decades! Take your time moving her and be slow to lift or re position the joints. Sometimes they lockup and you have to bend them backwards to get them to readjust properly.

I hope this list might potentially save someone a heartache, and if anyone else has anything they would like to comment on or correct me on, please feel free!

Mike0122

Re: A list of things I wish I knew before I purchased my RD2

Post by Mike0122 »

Good read. Glad you are enjoying her. With a steamer you need to use distilled water. Even with those floor steam mops or an iron that steams.

CF
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by CF »

Excellent essay. Manufacturers and vendors would do well to post extensive FAQs and recommendations like this.
Viva la megaboobs!
*My juicy Cherry: viewtopic.php?t=154759
*Z-cup Moira: viewtopic.php?t=138543
*BBW Breanna: viewtopic.php?t=143116
*Yulia: viewtopic.php?t=122950
*Tina viewtopic.php?t=121819
*Aurora Jolie: viewtopic.php?t=106838
*World-famous Una Carha: viewtopic.php?t=93292

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

It was the cornstarch buildup. Rubbing alcohol is all you need to clean her with. You are doing great enjoy your first doll.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

upsux
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by upsux »

If you keep her hands positioned like this in bed it prevents sheets from snagging on them as you pull them up or over in the middle of the night. One hand slightly folded in/on the other with both angled inward - haven't had a problem since I did this.

TTNLBTPD
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by TTNLBTPD »

#1 is so true. When I carried my Jenelle up my basement stairs when she arrived I struggled. I look back and think it was quite a foolish (dangerous) thing to do. She is not allowed in the basement now.
Tough Times Never Last But Tough People Do!

The young gun

Post by The young gun »

I had a feeling I was not the only one out there with some of these concerns or problems. I know there is quite a few people on the forums that already owned a doll and dealt with this type of stuff for years. Me personally though? I saw the doll in My Name is Earl a few years ago and thought it was an interesting idea. I then saw the episode of House and thought "wow this is something special isint it". I eventually clicked on the website to see Stacy Leigh photo of Brooklyn and knew immediately once I had my finances locked down I had to purchase one.
Attachments
brooklyn_rd2_config2_4.jpg
brooklyn_rd2_config2_4.jpg (91.07 KiB) Viewed 4904 times

The young gun

Post by The young gun »

Was pleasantly surprised to go to the mailbox today and have those sleeve warmers I posted about earlier already here. First impression? Wow these things look cheap. Second impression? Wow these things feel cheap. I opened the box and plugged them into my laptop. Within 2 mins I left heat. 30 mins later they are very warm and have shown no sign of turning off like the Flesh light does. This is a great thing in my opinion. No constant warming and cooling down just straight heat waiting for you when you are ready. People have complained that this product gets so warm it melts their toys. Us RD2 users should be perfectly fine. Abyss told me RD2 are rated at 400 degrees. I have one of these inserted into the torn insert (my tester) and I will leave it plugged in for several hours and find out if they burn out quickly and or cause any damage to a RD2 insert!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012L ... UTF8&psc=1

Things to note: USB only meaning you would have to buy an adapter for a wall plug. These are smaller than the insert meaning you might have to position to get the best areas warmed up. On a super plus side, these were only $13 where as Fleshlight were closer to $50 a pop and again have heating cycles where as these are constant!

The young gun

Post by The young gun »

OK guys one more post about the insert warming and I will give it a rest I swear! So to put it bluntly I just performed a extended repeated test with the warmer. After a few uses I noticed one time that it was a bit warm to the point of being unpleasant. It quickly dissipated back to a fun temperature but left me concerned. During cleanup I noticed that the warmer felt a little odd cleaning it. Upon closer investigation I noticed there was discoloration and a slight wobble to the warmer. It still functions fine, but I will now have my eye on it for obvious reasons.

So final notes (for at least a month or two)? Great product, super cheap in comparison to the competition, however might be cheaply made to the point of a early failure. Do not recommend leaving on for extended periods of time (think 2 hours+ approx) I would recommend this for a insert. However even though there is no way it could reach a temperature to damage a RD2 insert I would not recommend this product on fixed inserts *just in case*.

Edit: Added a pic to try to show what I am talking about. It is very hard to make out, my camera sucks its as simple as that. It does not show off the discoloration. If you look closely at the warmer on the top, you can see the slight change in shape.
Attachments
DSCN1694.JPG
DSCN1694.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 4685 times

DarkOne
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by DarkOne »

Steamer, interesting idea, silicone should handle up to 200c so it shouldn't be a problem...

But.. sounds kinda dangerous to me. I would stick with the 70~99% isoproponal myself. Still very sterilizing but not going to give you bad burns if you get any on you.
Every day people remind me why I like dolls better.

buttoncock

Post by buttoncock »

How do you stay hard long enough to do all that warmer testing?? LOL

On a lighter note, I highly recommend the Dodgeman Stance Modifier.

I just got mine a few days ago and the difference is night and day......she doesn't look like she's trying to squeeze out a fart anymore! haha

Unless I want that look....the Modifier allows for that. Here is a pic I took on July 4th using the Dodgeman Stance Modifier....

*DISCLAIMER*

Dodgeman is nothing but good people. I sent him cash in an envelope with tracking, only because I have gained knowledge of his stature being here on the board for several months.
My senses did not steer me wrong.
Dodgeman had the Modifier shipped the day he received payment (broke away from what he was doing and rushed it), and it was on my door step in 2 days.
I have become friends online with him through the sale process.
He is all about helping people by sharing knowledge and he is a "pinnacle figure" in helping make this hobby a better place for people like me to feel comfortable.
I could go on and on, but Im not.

Purchase the Dodgeman Stance Modifier and you will be so much Happier. That little gadget made of stainless steel is worth way more than its weight in Gold...it is engineered/designed on a genius level with the doll in mind.
And the creator....well, I have no words to describe how much of a badass he is!

Cheers!
:glou:
Attachments
"Greetings from Brazil, even though my beach towel says Mexico....haha! Im on a rage!!"-Ashley Brooke
"Greetings from Brazil, even though my beach towel says Mexico....haha! Im on a rage!!"-Ashley Brooke
~Joe7.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 4632 times

selobl
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by selobl »

buttoncock wrote:...On a lighter note, I highly recommend the Dodgeman Stance Modifier....Dodgeman is nothing but good people...
Linda and I agree to both!! :D :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

SiliconeWorld
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by SiliconeWorld »

Great advice! An excellant treasure trove of good advice.

Simply a must read for any potential or current doll owner. The points made in this post can certainly advance one's "LEARNING CURVE" in handling these fragile companions.

It was interesting that you mentioned a problem with a "SMALL MARK" (point 8), I thought silicone was immune ?
Obviously not. Good advice!

UPSUX's advice is an excellant one. Positioning the doll's hands is EXTREEMLY important to avoid damage. A sad lesson learned personally.

The young gun

Post by The young gun »

I have a two dirty little secrets. One is that I am about 20 to 40 years younger than most on this website (it seems) and two my much older next door neighbor gave me a little blue "gift" when I told him I had a hot date awaiting me that weekend lol. Holy moly Pfizer should get a Nobel Peace Prize. Enough said haha!

Thanks for the pic of the modifier in action, I might have to send a paper bag full of loot and get one myself!

The young gun

Post by The young gun »

As promised, I am going to try to keep you all well informed. The insert warmers that I purchased are already showing wear. One has died within 1 month of purchase. I bought it on Amazon and they have a 48 hour response time. If the company gets back to me and sends out a replacement hassle free, I will let you all know.

Edit: Holy Moly! Less than 5 minutes later I already have a response and they are mailing me a replacement free of charge... I am impressed.

INFORMATIONS