Starpery.com

Standing foot mod.

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Standing foot mod.

Post by Arthur1960 »

Standing foot mod that gives a bit more protection to the feet and may improve stability. I have to admit that I have nicked this idea from another TDF member but I think it's worth circulating again as I've had some success with it with one of my gals with standing feet. It's a very simple thing to do, basically you just unscrew the foot bolt, slip on a 30mm dia zinc plated washer and put the bolt back, tightening up just so the washer is snug against the foot without digging into the tpe. I also sheath the bolt thread in a little bit of 5mm plastic tubing to stop the bolt from chewing up the tpe. With the washers in place the benefit seems to be, improved protection of the tpe on the bottom of the foot, less likely to poke holes through stockings/socks and less likely to leave dents in shoes, plus it seems to improve stability. Please see attached pics which show before and after pics on Athena's standing feet.
Attachments
Standing foot before addition of washers
Standing foot before addition of washers
IMG_20171205_175010_426.jpg (543.74 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
Foot with bolts replaced with added 30mm zinc plated washers
Foot with bolts replaced with added 30mm zinc plated washers
IMG_20171205_175029_145.jpg (422.83 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
The other 2 foot bolts with washers on (these are shorter than the heel bolt)
The other 2 foot bolts with washers on (these are shorter than the heel bolt)
IMG_20171205_174950_706.jpg (482.01 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
Heel foot bolt with plastic sheath
Heel foot bolt with plastic sheath
IMG_20171205_174900_415.jpg (572.82 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
5mm plastic tubing
5mm plastic tubing
IMG_20171205_174920_475.jpg (494.88 KiB) Viewed 4409 times

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Standing foot mod.

Post by Arthur1960 »

Obviously this won't be for you if you have a thing for your gals feet but then you probably won't have the standing foot option in the first place!

Knightshift
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Knightshift »

One thing's certain... she won't get any blisters! Genius!
The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Interesting. I can see how that would protect the foot itself, but I don't see how that protects hosiery and shoes. I mean, the bolt head still extends past the washer. Like the idea to sheath the treads though. Just make sure the tubing used is not silicone based for TPE dolls.

Pron
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Pron »

Mr Franz wrote:Interesting. I can see how that would protect the foot itself, but I don't see how that protects hosiery and shoes. I mean, the bolt head still extends past the washer. Like the idea to sheath the treads though. Just make sure the tubing used is not silicone based for TPE dolls.
I have used this for several months now and never had any damage on feet, floor and shoes since then:
viewtopic.php?f=215&t=80817&start=16
The bolt head is smooth with these screws.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

I take the point that the bolt head still stands proud of the washer and on a hard surface you will still get holes in stockings etc but I've found that in a pair of trainers or other shoes with soft insole the load is spread over the surface of the washer, it seems to work as have had no holes in stockings yet and my Keiko has been standing for about 4 months. Barbydoll, I like the look of those bolts, they look quite effective, certainly better than the original ones.

Hungry Bear
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Hungry Bear »

Some stuff I found at Mcmaster Carr. One thing, when uninstalling and replacing, the TPE wants to stick to the screw, so go gentle, and help it unstick with a finger while threading in or out. I did some damage to a hole that was stripped out and will tap it out to the next size up and try to fix the small tears.
Attachments
footmod.jpg
footmod.jpg (422.29 KiB) Viewed 4132 times
It is okay to feed the bear! In fact, it is highly recommended! Just be sure to count your fingers afterword.

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

How about silicone dolls. Can I add mine?
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

bearhunter wrote:Some stuff I found at Mcmaster Carr. One thing, when uninstalling and replacing, the TPE wants to stick to the screw, so go gentle, and help it unstick with a finger while threading in or out. I did some damage to a hole that was stripped out and will tap it out to the next size up and try to fix the small tears.
If you get some plastic tubing and squeeze it over the top bit of the bolt so just the threads that need to screw into the foot plate are exposed then you will find that the tpe in the foot doesn't snag on the threads as you screw the bolt in, it's a simple fix but seems to work well. I've done it with both my standing gals and they haven't complained so far! See attached pic...
Attachments
Foot bolt with added washer and plastic tubing
Foot bolt with added washer and plastic tubing
IMG_20171205_174900_415.jpg (572.82 KiB) Viewed 4097 times

Studio5280
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Studio5280 »

One of the bolts on the foot of my OR156H standing foot doll is bent and needs replacing. Does anyone know what the thread size and length these bolts are? I know they are a round headed hex bolt. I'm guessing they are metric. I could take it to the hardware store to check the size, but if anyone knows and could tell me it would allow me to have the bolt in hand and ready to go before I start taking something apart just in case I can't find a replacement quickly and being bent, it's hard to get out/put back in again.

Thanks for any input,

JA

Hungry Bear
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Hungry Bear »

My 6ye 161e Arashi has 5mm bolts, but I have heard others use 6mm. If you measure with a caliper or something precise, 6mm bolt will be close to .236 inch and 5 mm is just under .196 inch. I would take a bolt to the hardware store and they can help you. They used to have drill size plates with holes in them. Just find the hole closest to fitting your bolt and use the above sized for reference.
It is okay to feed the bear! In fact, it is highly recommended! Just be sure to count your fingers afterword.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Also don't forget that the heel bolt is longer than the other 2 bolts as it's set deeper in the foot.

TDFnoob
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by TDFnoob »

If you're having difficulties with the TPE sticking to the metal screw, put a little bit of baby oil on the threads. Also, if you're having a hard time getting the bolt/thread size, remember, H.D. and L, both have thread gauges in the hardware aisle... My suggestion would be carriage bolts due to the type of head they have on them.

ccrider32759
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by ccrider32759 »

Really like this thread! Tyvm guys for the info. I will be looking to do this soon myself. Great ideas at a great time for me!
My gals:
Suzie: WM 163cm C cup (2015)
Tama: JY 148cm D cup (2018)

Saki and Hanabi 6YE 160cm G cup

TDFnoob
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by TDFnoob »

I just did a standing foot mod on my doll tonight.

https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 1#p1280721

INFORMATIONS