Starpery.com

Doll care tips

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Doll care tips

Post by Lemminkainen »

The care and light regular maintenance tips seem to be quite scattered about throughout the topics in this forum.
Maybe this could be the start of a hub for this type info?

Anyways, I'm a TBD owner of 1 year now, but a newbie with my PIB, so here's a powdering hint vid I just made. Please feel free to upload more helpful vids or posts to this thread; any topic, as long as it's for care and regular light maintenance, please.

myself1942

Re: Doll care tips

Post by myself1942 »

This is awesome Lemmi. I wish something like this was put out when I got my 1st PIB.. I have a shaving brush and I think it even picks up more then the one you have does... Plush I had heard that Cornstarch is better as Talc causes micro serrations on the silicon.
Awsome vid and your lady is hawt..

windave
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by windave »

I never thought of the shaving brush. Great idea. Thanks

dodgeman
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dodgeman »

Hello Lemm and to everyone here on the forum! The shaving brush is a very good tool to aid in powdering a doll however, Here is a brush that is a must have when powdering a doll! I found these on the ECO Tools website along with all of the other brushes that they make for applying makeup powder! This brush has a handle that is 2 3/4 inches wide and the bristles flare out to 3 1/2 inches at the widest! They also have the makeup brushes that resemble the style and size of a shaving brush and they are called Kabuki brushes as I have bought some of them too! This brush is called a Face and body sculpting brush as you can see on the package! The bristles are so soft that you can barely feel them against your skin! The food storage container is the best to keep your cornstarch baby powder in as Lemm is doing and I do it the same way! Using this type of brush allows you to use a small amount of powder to go a long long way!! Nyarlat started to powder his dolls with this same brush and he loves it as he told me at the doll meet this year! :D :D This brush is 12.00 if memory serves me right and you can get them on the Eco Tools website and the item number is 1255 as you can read it on the package!! Hope this helps everyone out to aid in powdering our beautiful girls my friends!! :mrgreen: :thumbs_up: :mrgreen:
Attachments
P1010470.JPG
P1010470.JPG (446.98 KiB) Viewed 6032 times

-Kylli-
Doll
Doll

Post by -Kylli- »

Oh my God! Lemminkainen used a kabuki brush on me yesterday, and it kept on flying out of his hand. Hah! That thing really tickled a lot. I hope he doesn't have to dust me down all the time.

Hugs
Kylli

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

It's funny you just mentioned the barbers brush. I just picked one up at a beauty supply store that you can load up with powder, and then squeeze a button while you're brushing to apply more powder as you need.

Talc versus cornstarch. What's really the consensus on that guys? Is there really a big difference? Is there factually a hazard of scratching your silicone with Talc? It seems to me that the bristles of the brush would do more damage than either the talc or cornstarch. Does anybody really know this for sure? Not conflicting, just asking.

Anyhow, does anybody else want to suggest something for regular care, and or light typical maintenance? Please contribute.

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Lemminkainen wrote:It's funny you just mentioned the barbers brush. I just picked one up at a beauty supply store that you can load up with powder, and then squeeze a button while you're brushing to apply more powder as you need.

Talc versus cornstarch. What's really the consensus on that guys? Is there really a big difference? Is there factually a hazard of scratching your silicone with Talc? It seems to me that the bristles of the brush would do more damage than either the talc or cornstarch. Does anybody really know this for sure? Not conflicting, just asking.

Anyhow, does anybody else want to suggest something for regular care, and or light typical maintenance? Please contribute.
The theory that talc (baby powder) will scratch your doll is hypothetical at best. You can powder a doll for 20 years with talc and you would need a scanning electron microscope to even find the scratches. And would it be worse than scratches caused by cornstarch?

Cornstarch began to be suggested as an alternative due to the fact that is edible, therefore safer. Consider that these are sex dolls, licking or sucking that powder off and digesting it is quite possible.

Problem is, the cornstarch will also get into your bedsheets, matress etc. And what else is commonly found in old, expired cornstarch? Weevils. (Those tiny worms...)

I prefer baby powder myself.

Besides, baby powder was recommended by the manufacturer. (Phoenix Studios a.k.a Abyss)
My Doll Album is here!

siliconelover
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconelover »

I'm with ks ... but I believe that constant or over powdering with whatever could contribute to the wearing off of spots of the matte finishing spray some manufacturers are using, just a thought but I've recently seen 2 dolls with small patches missing which makes me wonder about this.

Cornstarch is disgusting everywhere up in and on your shit. blah

If I was going to, and I have Never powdered any of my dolls with anything, I would go with the BP.
SEX, DOLLS and ROCK & ROLL

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

:| Ok, this was my doing... well maybe we should keep the talcum/cornstarch debate for a different thread, please.
No offence meant, and I appreciate the theory and experiential feedback about it, but it's sort of beginning to 'muddy' up what this thread is intended for. :oops: Sorry, my fault, please lets move along back to helpful tips. :)

:?: Does anyone have more various hints or tutorials for sili-doll newbies?

:idea: You could even post a link to another thread. If you do, talk a little about the topic of it and your experience with it too, not just the link.

Thanks!

Lemminkainen

brigittes hubbie
Media Representative
Media Representative

Post by brigittes hubbie »

Hi Lemm, excellent job, this thread deserves a sticky!
Just two hints_ one: I store Brigitte´s powder brush in a little make-up bag I got for free at Kiehls when I bought stuff for me there. It´s the perfect place, and Brigitte has a make-up bag now like the RG´s. :wink: Apart from the brush I store her lipsticks in it and the tattoo-stickers.
Two: in supporting dodgeman´s hint: it´s really important to get a good make up brush, pay an extra dollar to get a high quality brush. Cheaper ones may lose hair out of the brush so you have to pick them up after the powdering. I got a good one from The Body Shop, the cheaper ones I bought at a drug store are gone already. :lol:
Chris
Click here to see my Doll Album.

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

Thanks Chris.
The brush I was using the video is a Kabuki brush, and incidentally I did notice that there were bristles coming out of it and were indeed in the powder just like you remarked.
About the barbers brush with powder dispenser built-in, called the Hair-art neck duster. I picked one up and here's a picture of it:
101_2863.JPG
101_2863.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 5993 times
I've used it, and the bristles are staying in. It almost doesn't need to have the button pushed to release some of the powder. A word of caution about this brush, is that there is a piece that the end screws into where you put the powder in to the handle, and the threaded part on the handle can come out. I would recommend taking it out and gluing it in.

Anybody else about tips and hints for newbies? Remember it can be any kind of like regular maintenance or care, not just powdering.

Thank you
Lemminkainen

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Lemminkainen wrote::| Ok, this was my doing... well maybe we should keep the talcum/cornstarch debate for a different thread, please.
No offence meant, and I appreciate the theory and experiential feedback about it, but it's sort of beginning to 'muddy' up what this thread is intended for. :oops: Sorry, my fault, please lets move along back to helpful tips. :)
WTF? You asked and both my post and siliconlover's were completely on topic????

Did I miss a disagreement somewhere?
My Doll Album is here!

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Lemminkainen wrote:
In the same style as the other video?

Oh let's see, you could do 'how to use a comb to comb her hair' or maybe 'how to use a facecloth to wash her face'!

:lol:
My Doll Album is here!

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

ks wrote:
Lemminkainen wrote:
In the same style as the other video?

Oh let's see, you could do 'how to use a comb to comb her hair' or maybe 'how to use a facecloth to wash her face'!

:lol:
There's more than one way to skin a cat. Well, how do you clean a doll? What comb do you use and why? and do you use different brushes and combs for certain types of wigs, and why? These details can possibly benefit members.

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Lemminkainen wrote:Thanks Chris.
The brush I was using the video is a Kabuki brush, and incidentally I did notice that there were bristles coming out of it and were indeed in the powder just like you remarked.
About the barbers brush with powder dispenser built-in, called the Hair-art neck duster. I picked one up and here's a picture of it:
101_2863.JPG
I've used it, and the bristles are staying in. It almost doesn't need to have the button pushed to release some of the powder. A word of caution about this brush, is that there is a piece that the end screws into where you put the powder in to the handle, and the threaded part on the handle can come out. I would recommend taking it out and gluing it in.

Anybody else about tips and hints for newbies? Remember it can be any kind of like regular maintenance or care, not just powdering.

Thank you
Lemminkainen
Here's another good tip for newbies.

There is absolutely no need for new doll owners to run out and buy a barbers brush and container and dump talc into it and use proper brushing proceedures.

Most baby powder comes in a container with a sprinkle top.

Just twist the top, sprinkle powder on the doll, rub in with your hands.

She won't bite, and I for one love any excuse to touch my doll, it's a great way to get intimate with her.
My Doll Album is here!

INFORMATIONS