Starpery.com

Make Up and Seal - By public Request.

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
mimomi
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: Make Up and Seal - By public Request.

Post by mimomi »

I am in awe. This is a doll saver. Very clear, accurate and easy to follow. All hail King Muzza !!
Please see my pics at:

Joe Bin
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Joe Bin »

This is excelent information. Thanks muzza. :glou:

SNSlayer
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by SNSlayer »

I read all info that I could find regarding making permanent make up on a doll. All is clear except what is the powdered coloring? Is it regular make up or powdered paint? As far as I could see, it was not specified. I'm new at this and may have missed previous posts or other conversations.

muzza
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muzza »

SNSlayer,

Manufacturers use colour powder for tinting or underlaying the silicone they use to produce the various skin tones and make up options.
As a general rule they are happy to provide small packets of the colour powder to owners. For example Abyss sent me the colour powder for Natasha's skin tone (medium), french manicure (white and colour), lips (apricot) and for her nipples.

If you wish to use different colour powder or do not wish to bother contacting the manufacturer you can buy powder from most stores which sell female make up compacts. The powder should be of the non greasy type. See photo below and on the first post of page 1.
DSCN0647.jpg
DSCN0647.jpg (102.18 KiB) Viewed 7741 times

muz
Ah Love Could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry scheme of things entire Would not we shatter it to bits and then remould it nearer to the Heart's desire.

RicherRich

Post by RicherRich »

Muzza or anyone else who is proficient with this technique, how do you achieve a matte (non shimmery or glossy) appearance when going for the diffuse/mix method? I have tried mixing various combinations of a couple different blushes, powders, and as matte-as-I-could-find eye shadow (white, to lighten the mixture), and it always comes out to be shimmery. I don't want to spend a fortune on trying out lots of kinds of makeup as it's expensive and would only be using a little for the purposes of applying a tone to the nipples and both sets of lips (hehe). I don't want to go for shiny or shimmer.

Is there a certain type of makeup that is dead matte and light colored that is good for these things?

muzza
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muzza »

RicherRich,
I usually find that mixing a powder in with the Permatex flowable silicone (windshield and glass sealer item 81730) I use - rather than apply the powder to colour the silicone and then sealing it with a thin coat of the clear flowable which gives a more shiny finish - to be sufficient.

However there is a powder called 'matting' which can be used to give more of a matt finish.
I do not know where it is available or how to obtain some as I received my packet from a manufacturer (Sinthetics) when I had to do some repair to the whole of body seal they use which was peeling off in places due to much of my amorous attention (lips and under nose).
It is white in colour though does not 'bring out' whiteness and it is so light (in weight) that on opening the packet it flies out like dust in the air). You would have to contact the manufacturer for more details.

Alternatively you could try using a very light and very softly applied dusting of very fine talc or corn starch powder either in the mix or on the seal either when still wet or after cure. You would need to try out the different techniques on some test pieces, as I do, first to see what gives you the result you are seeking.
It can be a very delicate touch and fairly precise mixtures to get it right.

Hope this helps. All the best

muzza
Ah Love Could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry scheme of things entire Would not we shatter it to bits and then remould it nearer to the Heart's desire.

RicherRich

Post by RicherRich »

Muzza, it does. I'll try the corn starch; that might be a perfect idea. :)

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

muzza wrote:However there is a powder called 'matting' which can be used to give more of a matt finish.
I do not know where it is available or how to obtain some as I received my packet from a manufacturer (Sinthetics) when I had to do some repair to the whole of body seal they use which was peeling off in places due to much of my amorous attention (lips and under nose).
It is white in colour though does not 'bring out' whiteness and it is so light (in weight) that on opening the packet it flies out like dust in the air). You would have to contact the manufacturer for more details.
Hi Muzza,

FuseFX sells the matting powder on their site if anyone is wanting to get some.
http://www.fusefx.ca/products.html#ws-matt
You can get it separately or in a kit with the MF-110 clear finish.

It would be interesting to see if the matting powder works with the Permatex sealer which is about 5 times cheaper than the MF-110 from FuseFX.

FuseFX also has something called Liquid Sheen that's used in the medical prosthesis industry. Apparently you apply it then pat it down with a tissue in really thin coats.
It dulls the shine of the silicone down to a natural sheen instead of completely matte.
http://www.fusefx.ca/products.html#liquid-sheen

MF

muzza
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muzza »

Thank you for your input MF.
It would be interesting to see if the matting powder works with the Permatex sealer which is about 5 times cheaper than the MF-110 from FuseFX
Yes, it does. And has the advantage that it skins more quickly and it is easier to control flow.

muz

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

muzza wrote:Thank you for your input MF.
It would be interesting to see if the matting powder works with the Permatex sealer which is about 5 times cheaper than the MF-110 from FuseFX
Yes, it does. And has the advantage that it skins more quickly and it is easier to control flow.

muz
Wow that's great - that's a much more economical solution then.
So is that eye shadow makeup you're using?
I've noticed that eye shadow even stains the latex paint for doing the makeup on my mannequin.

muzza
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muzza »

When reading this post (viewing the photo) a number of things must be understood.
1. Natasha is over 4 years old and has been in constant & regular use during that time so her make up has been redone many times as she receives a lot of amorous attention causing much wear.
2. My eyesight is very poor, even with spectacles, so it is difficult to get accurate focus not only of photography but also when doing make up maintenance.
3. I am no artist nor am I a perfectionist.
Thus, for the above reasons, degradation of quality should be understood.
OK.

Now, Tash's eyeliner was done with black powder mixed in with non flowable adhesive silicone using a toothpic.
Her eye shadow was done by staining the bare skin silicone with eye shadow powder and then applying a thin clear silicone flowable adhesive with a fine paint brush on top and then , once skinned a light touch of the eye shadow powder to reduce shine where necessary.
Her lips originally were with the powder rubbed in to bare skin and then a thin layer of flowable silicone adhesive applied on top. As I have run out of the apricot powder I now use a mixture of coloured lip glosses (to get the colour I like) mixed in with the flowable silicone and painted on. It gives a shine which I like as it give the lips a 'moist' look and feel.
Her nipples are the nipple powder (as supplied by Abyss) mixed in with the flowable silicone and applied by brush. The shine is taken off by rubbing talc over the nipples. I keep the points relative clear of colour as I like the look of her 'white pointers' as I call them - though I know this is not to everybody's taste.
The eyebrows are mainly original but have been touched up with colour from time to time but not covered with a seal.
Her tattoo is a temporary 'stick on' which I change from time to time.

Over time it is possible to get a build up of layers of silicone giving a 'botox' appearance. Then it is time to take the layers back to bare skin as described on page 1.

muz

RicherRich

Post by RicherRich »

Okay, this is what I've found works great, thanks to help from muzza, of course. To get a composite without a shimmery appearance itself while also achieving a lighter apperance, cut the makeup with the corn starch, but you can't use too much or the mixture will be very thick and hard to mix. I didn't try rubbing corn starch on the outside after the mixture had cured, but rubbing baby powder (talc) as muzza has suggested removes, at least temporarily, the glossiness or shine. This is good for the nipples as nipples are not shiny. This is what I was wanting.

Also, mixing any powders used, be it multiple makeup shades/types and corn start PRIOR to adding the silicone helps many times to get an even, non streaky look after curing.

The silicone windshield sealant stuff works wonders. I found it at Autozone for like $5.

yellowsubmarine
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by yellowsubmarine »

As a woman, I give props to that last photo. That lip gloss looks good, I almost wish I had a silicone face.

muzza
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muzza »

Natasha says thanks ...
and almost wishes she had a real face :)

muzza

muzza
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muzza »

From time to time the seal on nipples begins to show signs of wear and tear.

Using a soft cloth, a dab of acetone or pure alcohol, a rubbing method similar to that described in the initial post of this thread and a lot of patience - it takes a couple of hours or so - one can rub off the old make up to the original skin silicone.

This time I decided not to cover or 'seal in' the nipple colouring. I just worked in the nipple tint and left it at that.
Of course the colour wears off more quickly but it does last sufficiently and is so much easier to simply apply more of the nipple tint when necessary.

Not quite finished but I wanted to get the photo before dinner.

muzza

INFORMATIONS