Starpery.com

Make Up and Seal - By public Request.

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
muzza
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Make Up and Seal - By public Request.

Post by muzza »

At request I am posting this thread about the Make Up repairs to Natasha.

Background: (If you are not interested in this part skip down to 'Make Up'.

Natasha arrived on 30th July 2008. Here is a picture just before she left USA for Australia.

Very soon the make up to her lips, face. nipples and finger nails started to peel or more accurately 'flake off' in small bits. Here are some pictures taken in mid to late August.

The issues were discussed at the time in TDF and with Abyss who sent me all the repair kits free of charge. A reasonable action considering Tash was barely one month old.

The repair kits arrived by mid september. On advice and following instructions with the kit I cleaned the areas of flaking with acetone and a soft cloth, applied the pigment colour, mixed adhesive and dlimonene to a consistancy of pourable honey, and, using a No 8 synthetic flat hobby paint brush painted over the newly covered areas.

The problem however continued. You can see how pale she is here (October) yet still has the shiny face.

I tried to use ordinary RG make up but found it wears off almost immediately. So that was pointless. By November I was considering a new face and approached Abyss. When they advised they do not ship faces without Make Up (I was not going to have a repeat) or take credit cards for payment (bank to bank transfers are expensive and a pain to organise) I decided to take the risk and give Tash a complete makeover.

Make Up.

What I used.
Powder make up colours. Soft tip make up applicators. Silicone adhesive. D-Limonene. Flat synthetic hobby paint brush (No 8 is good).

What you need.
Time, patience, a love for your doll and a clear idea of how you want her to look.

Step 1. Remove all existing Make Up. I was advised not to use strong solvents (d-limonene, acetone, white spirit).
So I used my thumb. With Tash's face still on her skull and her lying comfortably on the bed I held her face and worked the side of my (right) thumb over small areas at a time. The sealer came of in flaky bits. I worked away down to the underlying silicone then moved on to the next small area. I had a cloth handy, dipped in alcohol, to remove the flaked off bits which tend to stick to the silicone. The crevice areas (ears, nose, etc, are difficult but you just have to work away).
It took several days and many hours to do.
Important note:
Using just the thumb it may be difficult or impossible to remove the original sealer if it is well adhered. Don't forget Natasha's sealer was flaking off anyway. I tried on a test and practice piece of silicone where I had sealed in some colour and cannot, to this day, wear it off. If that is the case skip step 1 and go to step 2.
You might be able remove the sealer with solvents - but if you go down that path do a test first on some silicone where you have sealed in some colour. And be very cautious and careful with your girl and use very sparingly.

Step 2. Apply the powder Make Up. Tash's whole face was now clear of all the original sealer and colour. If your girl still has some colour and sealer that is OK so long as the sealer is well adhered, if not keep removing till you cannot remove any more. Ensure the face is clean by wiping with an cloth dampened with acetone, followed by wiping with a cloth dampened with clean alcohol. Allow to dry.
With the powder sponge applicators I then applied the coloured powder to the areas I wanted that particular colour.
One has to be careful here. The sponge applicators are thickish so to get an even line where the colour ends is tricky.
Practice first on a test piece. Have a paper tissue handy to wipe off if you smudge over the line.
Be careful when doing the lips as some powder can fall in onto the teeth. Wipe off immediately.
Once the colour is on to your satisfaction use the applicator (different one for each colour) to rub and work the colour into the silicone for an even appearance. Keep doing till you have it right, even and how you want it.
Ensure there are no loose bits of powder because when you paint on the sealer they will smudge.

Important Note:
The colour powder stains the silicone. A temporary tattoo I did on Tash three months ago with just lightly coloured powder is still visible - though it is fading. So don't apply powder where you do not want it.

Step 3. Apply the sealer. I decided to apply the sealer only to the areas where I put the coloured powder. Tash has no blush or sealer on her cheeks or face. I only sealed the lips, around the nipples and finger nails.
Of course the eye liner is still original apart from touch up with black pigmented silicone adhesive (using a toothpick).

Squeeze out some silicone adhesive on a plastic lid or container and slowly add drops of d-limonene mixing all the time. At first they do not mix well. Keep at it. Try to minimise bubbles. When it is smooth enough to paint on but still quite thick then you have it right. Experiment on a test piece first and practice - I did. Not too runny and not too thick. It has to be paintable but not run.
Then with the hobby paint brush paint over the coloured areas you want sealed in. In my case the lips, around the nipple (not the tip as I like her 'white pointers') and finger nails and toes. The make up around the eyes is not sealed as it does not wear away much and is easy to re do.
Important Note:
Keep a tissue handy to wipe the brush after each stroke so as not to contaminate the sealer with different colours and keep the brush fresh.
Try to apply even coverage with minimal strokes and not keep going over the same area.

Step 4. Allow to dry. Once you are happy with the result allow to dry for 24 hours or until the sealer is absolutely touch dry if longer is required.

Important Note:
I cannot over emphasize enough the need to test and practice before working on your doll. I did.
Because if you have sealed the colour in right it will be very difficult to remove so any mistakes are sealed in as well.

Here is Natasha after her makeover in December 2008 - about March 2009 this photo. You will notice a few small shiny bits around the eyebrows and under the eyes. That is where I could not get my thumb to remove the original sealer back then.

Since then, and while Tash was waiting for her new knee joints (May / June 2009), I had plenty of time to remove the last of the old sealer and do a touch up all over. In some small areas this was re colouring over the sealed areas I did and sealing over again.

And hence Mechwizards approval and the photo and thread 'Beautiful Natasha' which prompted this "tutorial".

And indeed, I believe she is.

I think that covers it. If the moderators want to reduce the size of the pictures then please do, I don't know how.

muzza
Ah Love Could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry scheme of things entire Would not we shatter it to bits and then remould it nearer to the Heart's desire.

mahtek
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by mahtek »

Thank you, Muzza. an excellent tutorial!

The pictures are just fine.

Mahtek & his Ladies
All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is here, in my arms. Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm.

Campdaan
Ex-Member

Post by Campdaan »

Muzza wrote:Time, patience, a love for your Doll...
That's the key !

Anything related to having a Doll...

Great Advice Muzza. Superb tutorial. Thanks.

CJD
Ex-Member

Post by CJD »

Thats a great tutorial Muzza!
" Look deep into my ey....er sexy boobies, and fall under their spell. "

Firefly2008
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Firefly2008 »

Good tutorial Muzza. When appling the sealant, how do you keep the powder from being removed in spot and bunching up in other spots?

HawgCallr
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by HawgCallr »

Thank you so much for posting this, Muzza! Great tutorial! I am sure more than one member here is going to be referring to this many times in the future!

pygmalion2
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by pygmalion2 »

Muzza - Great work! and thanks. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mark and the Synthetiks
<em>I know the good artist</em>

silicomorphos
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by silicomorphos »

Great feedback and tutorial muzza. 8)
Thank you for the infos and photos
Former owner of Nicolina / Tracy

nony
Doll
Doll

Post by nony »

Firefly,

You wrote.
When appling the sealant, how do you keep the powder from being removed in spot and bunching up in other spots?
muzza wrote.
Once the colour is on to your satisfaction use the applicator (different one for each colour) to rub and work the colour into the silicone for an even appearance. Keep doing till you have it right, even and how you want it.
Ensure there are no loose bits of powder because when you paint on the sealer they will smudge.
and
I cannot over emphasize enough the need to test and practice before working on your doll.
and
Keep a tissue handy to wipe the brush after each stroke so as not to contaminate the sealer with different colours and keep the brush fresh.
Try to apply even coverage with minimal strokes and not keep going over the same area.
It took muz days of practice before he felt confident to actually do the job on his precious Tash.

Nony
The World is big enough for All the Love. But way too small for any hate.

Elle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Elle »

Great Tuto Muzza :thumbs_up:
In my fav. for a possible use.

Cheers,
Jihan & elle
__________________ ALL DOLLS ARE WELCOME... SUBMIT YOUR DOLL TO THE MATRIX __________________ My Website
ImageImage

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi Muzza,

I did the same with Carmen.
She had damage on her face.

Before:

After: (I made the colors of this photo little more vivid with Macromedia fireworks)

You did a good description, I worked the same, although I had only to do her lips and her nipples, (still have to look after her hand/toe nails).
As you mention, its important after applying the makeup, one has to apply the paint carefully and use as less brush strokes as possible, this is also said in the manual that comes with the lipple nipple nail makup kit. If you make too much strokes the powder will come loose, and thus there will come silicone coloured stains trough the makeup.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen
One dream, one mission...

muzza
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Make Up and Seal - By public Request. Updated Dec 2010.

Post by muzza »

It is a long time ago now since I posted this thread - which mainly applies to the old tin silicone dolls and the silicone adhesive available at that time.
Things have changed significantly since then. specifically dolls are now made from platinum cured silicone and the silicone adhesive which was easy to dilute with solvent and become 'flowable' for a reasonable amount of time is no longer available.

Many members just use ordinary real girl make up and keep applying on a daily basis or when it wears off - which is pretty much immediate after kissing, etc and with which I have no interest.

There are however still other options if you wish to touch up your girls make up for a longer lasting result.
What you will need is the colour you wish in powder form, and a silicone that can be painted on - ie that has the flowable consistancy of honey, enough flow to give a smooth thin finish but not enough flow to run.

I have found two products which do this.
Permatex flowable silicone Windshield and glass sealer, and
Fuse FX 2 part M109 basecoat for platinum or
Bond FX 2 part silicone bonding coat BF-60 for tin
All are clear.

Before working on my girls I ALWAYS test the products and my technique on a test piece before hand.

As always clean the area to be worked with an acetone wipe to remove flaking / peeling bits followed by a total cleaning wipe of isopropyl alcohol of the highest alcohol concentration available.

You now have 2 options
1. For a shiny glossy finish. Apply the colour powder (carefully and accurately) to the silicone on your doll & rub it in at the area to be coloured. Wipe off any areas of over application and make a clean line (unless you want a fade in/out effect). When happy with the colour, gently remove any loose powder bits.
Squeeze out your flowable silicone sealant or FX 2 part onto a palette (I use plastic lids) and with a good quality flat hobby paint brush (No 8 is good) apply a thin even coverage with minimal strokes to cover the area of your colour.
Wipe any excess overflowing over the edges of the colour area not to your liking. Ensure there is no run.
Allow 24 hours to cure and dry.

2. For a more diffuse finish. Squeeze out your flowable silicone sealant or FX 2 part onto a palette and mix in the colour powder, a little at a time, until you get the colour you want. Apply to the area using your hobby brush, wiping off any excess at the edges with a clean cloth or tissue to make a clean edge.
Ensure there is no run.
Allow 24 hours to cure and dry.

These were done some months ago now and have received much attention from my - er - amorous attentions.
One shows the glossy look. One shows the diffuse look.

muz
Ah Love Could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry scheme of things entire Would not we shatter it to bits and then remould it nearer to the Heart's desire.

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Re: Make Up and Seal - By public Request. Updated Dec 2010.

Post by Everhard »

muzza wrote:One shows the glossy look. One shows the diffuse look.
It's the lips you're talking about, I suddenly realize...

Good info. Thanks Muzza.

muzza
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Make Up and Seal - By public Request.

Post by muzza »

Permatex

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automo ... Sealer.htm

Fusefx or Bondfx

http://www.fusefx.ca/products.html#assorted_30g_kit

For information I now use the Permatex flowable for closing up major deep cut repairs.
It can be easily painted on thinly with a brush and it does not cure too quickly.

muzza

deerman
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Just past the pond, the last deer trail on the left

Re: Make Up and Seal - By public Request.

Post by deerman »

Very good infomation for all. Yours, mechwazards and his Zara's posts should be required reading for all doll fourm members.

INFORMATIONS