Starpery.com

DS mini thigh replacement

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
DarkOne
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: DS mini thigh replacement

Post by DarkOne »

So I filed 0.3mm off the inside of the two 5mm tangs on the replacement thigh to hip joint to make it better match the one I removed. I don't think I weakened them much by this.

Then used a smaller file to remove all the file marks, and then a super fine diamond coated file to smooth it further. along with a few test fits it took me about an hour.

Once the brass washers where in, the joint once again moved perfectly smoothly like the other pivot based joints on the doll once tightened.

IMO I see the brass washers as smart engineering till more parts are changed with nylon. Unlike lubricant the brass washers won't run out, or damage the plastic. If anything it should help keep the plastic from wearing since they provide a hard smooth surface.
Every day people remind me why I like dolls better.

Pumpster
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Pumpster »

Holy Moly, not sure if I want to keep my doll if I have to be replacing thighs too (and pay piles of money for part shipments) as they surely snap some day if they are another weak spot. Clearly this doll was designed to never be removed from the storage box LOL. I wouldn't praise their engineering skills so much after all this trouble, starting to repair my doll from day 1 wasn't exactly what I had planned... Maybe 1AM 100cm doll would be better as I haven't seen bad messages about her. But, she has metal skeleton so...

Now only if John would be kind enough to respond my mail and dissipate this feeling I have that he's ignoring me.

halmahera

Post by halmahera »

Look at the bright side, all ds mini owner suddenly become expert at doll repair and surgery
Body: WM torso with arms, YL128cm (black), YL128 (dark brown), WM100 (tan), DH138 (white)
Extra Heads: #20 #21 #31 #36 #56 #59 #74 #81 #103 #124 #126 #130 #OR-001 #YL-Kylie #DH-Koi #DH-Miyu #DH-Momo

LoneRanger
Miniature Moderator
Miniature Moderator

Post by LoneRanger »

Pumpster wrote:Holy Moly, not sure if I want to keep my doll if I have to be replacing thighs too (and pay piles of money for part shipments) as they surely snap some day if they are another weak spot. Clearly this doll was designed to never be removed from the storage box LOL. I wouldn't praise their engineering skills so much after all this trouble, starting to repair my doll from day 1 wasn't exactly what I had planned... Maybe 1AM 100cm doll would be better as I haven't seen bad messages about her. But, she has metal skeleton so...

Now only if John would be kind enough to respond my mail and dissipate this feeling I have that he's ignoring me.
Welcome to the club of the "ignored and frustrated", I know this story from first hand experience.
L✰neR✯nger

Pumpster
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Pumpster »

halmahera wrote:Look at the bright side, all ds mini owner suddenly become expert at doll repair and surgery
Haha indeed, maybe I'll put up my own doll repair shop soon. But oh, I think I am the only doll person in this country so I just have to fix my own doll haha.
LoneRanger wrote:Welcome to the club of the "ignored and frustrated", I know this story from first hand experience.
Yeah I know it must be annoying for John also to do this kind of "charity" work sending parts free for people, but surely more annoying for people to be fixing their badly designed doll. Maybe I need to send another mail to wake him up. Each day my Eve lie in her box paralyzed is day too many.

DarkOne
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by DarkOne »

Pumpster wrote:Holy Moly, not sure if I want to keep my doll if I have to be replacing thighs too (and pay piles of money for part shipments) as they surely snap some day if they are another weak spot. Clearly this doll was designed to never be removed from the storage box LOL. I wouldn't praise their engineering skills so much after all this trouble, starting to repair my doll from day 1 wasn't exactly what I had planned... Maybe 1AM 100cm doll would be better as I haven't seen bad messages about her. But, she has metal skeleton so...

Certain things are smart engineering. The brass washers are.

The ABS C shaped cross section of the generation 1 knee? Horrible engineering.

The nylon insert of the generation 2 knee? Good engineering.

I don't know why they tried to cut so many corners with the generation 1 skeleton plastic selection but it sure bit them in the ass hard. I sure hope they have gone 180 and made the generation 2 overbuilt.

DarkOne
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by DarkOne »

So finished my repair up awhile ago, finally got around to connecting camera up and downloading photos.

First, the tape job for the gluing:
DSCN2935SmallCrop.jpg
DSCN2935SmallCrop.jpg (557.91 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
And the result once the permatex windshield sealant cured:
DSCN2941SmallCrop.jpg
DSCN2941SmallCrop.jpg (392.27 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
Much less noticeable then I thought it would be.. but still not perfect. Rather close though. In some areas it disappears leaving only the seam line.

I can't really feel any difference in the area. Its not hard or anything where it was glued, but then I used absolute minimal glue. I applied glue with a Popsicle stick to smear it over the surface, then wiped the stick clean of glue and scraped off as much glue as I could.

The place it looks the worst is at the far right, where I didn't scrape enough glue away and a little bit of glue filled the gap and overflowed leaving a small slit looking area and some shiny area where the glue flowed under the tape.

I think the camera makes it look a little worse then it is.

mi6c
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by mi6c »

Somehow I missed the pics from the finished repair, must have been me being away at the time and overlooking it after being back.
Anyway, I'd consider that a job extremely well done :!: my hat is off to you, so to speak.
Also thanks again for documenting it so well.
Kind regards.
優月( Yuzuki) - Orient Industry Koyuki head / Silicone Art Super Styling(SS) body
艶( Tsuya) - Orient Industry Izumi head on Jewel Real Taste 146(L) body
Tinúviel - EXDOLL Samantha head on Orient Industry Jewel Candy Girl( Jewel 2) body
Yuzuki, Tsuya & friends

LoneRanger
Miniature Moderator
Miniature Moderator

Post by LoneRanger »

You did a really nice job. You can hardlly see it and I bet it smooths out with age and gentle rubbing (powdered of course, lol).
L✰neR✯nger

INFORMATIONS