Starpery.com

Quick intro and a few theoretical ideas

Got an idea? Need an invention?
HobbySquirrel

Quick intro and a few theoretical ideas

Post by HobbySquirrel »

Hello, I'm clearly a n00b here but I've been lurking here off and on for a few years. I believe I even had an account at one time or another. I've always wanted a love doll, but could never justify putting the money into the ones within my miniscule budget. (Adulting is hard) that and most of the dolls within what i would call a cost- friendly range are either hideous or so disproportionate they're counter-productive. I'm more of a visual type as well as feel. I've been toying (lol) with the idea of modding a doll based on the MSB or similar sized doll. At one point I had actually purchased a wispy walker for modifications several years ago which I destroyed due to the potential embarrassment of it being discovered and its odd shape was a bit off-putting. Anyways, I've been researching casting, layering materials, material structuring and all the while revelling in some of the amazing innovations that you folks have developed as a community. (Queue applause track) seriously, its inspiring how you folks help eachother. As of now all I have to offer are theories. As mentioned I'm still in research mode, and development is gonna be tricky (not sure how the wife feels about this type of thing... i'm very well taken care of though. ;-) ) so when I do get started it'll likely be slow going. On to ideas, I've been rolling ideas around about wear resistant joints and even tear resistant skin by simply laminating layers of nylon (pantyhose) a few mils beneath the surface of the skin. By preloading the fabric to reach its maximum tension before the tear limits of the silicone you would, in a sense, have a way to reinforce those areas most prone to tear and a more consistent or realistic skin tension. As for joints, the laminate could be layered thicker, wrapped around and anchored to the skeletal structure on either side of the joint. (Think aftermarket silicone automotive radiator hoses) If one were so inclined this could even simulate muscle tissue, who knows? I've also been eyeing makeup sponges and soft earplug material as a sort of padding/filler. I'll test it out as soon as I can, all I have on hand atm is some caulk and my wife would probably murder me if she caught me cutting up her pantyhose... "But honey, it's for science!" Haha!

All that being said, if any of you folks have the spare materials on hand and are feeling adventurous or have actually tried this experiment please do share. In the meantime I'll be putting a shopping list together and budgeting around bills and my wife's never-ending makeup psychosis.

Agent D

Re: Quick intro and a few theoretical ideas

Post by Agent D »

Greetings HobbySquirrel-

This recent thread discusses similar ideas - Can TPE Doll Hands be Improved? How? It also has some great technical info about working with TPE and Silicone.

Undoubtedly, existing materials and methods can be improved GREATLY. But I like to explore the roads that most people would just dismiss as they don't seem as good as what we already have. But starting, off track, while it leads to a hundred dead ends, occasionally you do find a better way to get to where you want to go. But mostly I just like the exercise of thinking creatively....

D.

carlys_guy
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by carlys_guy »

welcome hobby squirrel
look down a few threads there is a post called "building my janis" about a guy building his own doll also there is a thread about a guy using foam sheets for a skeleton somewhere here.

carlys_guy

mi6c
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by mi6c »

Imho - your ideas are sound - what you describe is to some extend both doable and helpful.

Now for the depressing part - all this is great if you want to build the ultimate doll.

You can try and use such ideas when building your own doll and you may actually come up with an end product significantly better in specific areas than what is available on the market.

However, the market as such in current times is for those who can produce the "least cost just barely acceptable quality" dolls and even those dolls that are perceived to be "high-end" have to keep their cost to reasonable levels.
If you can find some means to produce a doll incorporating an improvement without having to change the way it is build or the time it takes or the cost of the parts involved by more than say a very few percent then there may be a chance for it to actually get done, otherwise it is likely to be ignored( deemed too costly).

Still, follow your dreams!

Kind regards.
優月( Yuzuki) - Orient Industry Koyuki head / Silicone Art Super Styling(SS) body
艶( Tsuya) - Orient Industry Izumi head on Jewel Real Taste 146(L) body
Tinúviel - EXDOLL Samantha head on Orient Industry Jewel Candy Girl( Jewel 2) body
Yuzuki, Tsuya & friends

INFORMATIONS