Starpery.com

Brilliant Augmented Reality Idea

Got an idea? Need an invention?
HugeBoobLover

Brilliant Augmented Reality Idea

Post by HugeBoobLover »

I got a brilliant idea while looking at the inventor page. Has anyone seen those augmented reality games and toys that use a camera and q codes to create a digital image over a real image? The PS3 Playstation eye had a card game that drew 3d monsters and stuff as you play the game.

What if doll makers made heads with no face, only a blank head with a q code printed on it. (I'll try to attach an image just as a visual aid) With a head like this you could use a VR style headset with a camera giving you the ability to impose a real face on the doll as augmented reality. Using an app, or program, depending on whether its a phone or PC VR headset you can control this imposed face to moan, scream, insult you, whatever you want as you go to town with your doll.

I can visualize this but I'm not sure if I am describing it very well. What does everyone think about this?

Edit: I couldn't figure out how to add a picture...
They're not dolls! They're action figures!

mysto

Re: Brilliant Augmented Reality Idea

Post by mysto »

I love it ... indeed brilliant. Possibly an added option, the face could be a person you are video chatting with in real time.
“The mind that opens to a new idea never returns to its original size.”
― Albert Einstein

waspie
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by waspie »

I feel this business is still young, and technology is going to give us some wonderful experiences in the near future :)

Gundam
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gundam »

I think you are on to something for sure. I have thought a lot about this myself. My idea isn't a totally blank face, but a rather plain template that works fine as head itself, but also can act as a template to superimpose AR additional feature enhancements. To the extent, that one could easily change from Sophia Loren to Liz Hurley to whomever. Of course things like lip thickness would be obvious when you kiss them, but for looks, the AR face should pretty much mask the template face.

I suspect it will happen. Just a matter of time.

CP1978
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by CP1978 »

Having just watched some developer demos using ARKit from Apple, I came here to see if this had been suggested before (hence finding this thread!) - it pretty much describes what I was thinking about. I'm not an iOS developer (I program other stuff, but I have a vague idea of the technicalities) - but it would seem to me that something like this *should* be relatively straightforward to do (especially with ARKit, which by all accounts makes things like this much easier than before). Work it in with a VR headset and you suddenly have a perfect match between reality and virtual reality.

optical delusion
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by optical delusion »

vr will definitely have place with things like this. a virtual shopper experience. also seen someone talking about real estate virtual tours in stead of physical house inspections.
could see a vr show room floor for doll inspection as a big hit.

agiocca
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by agiocca »

This could be a great way to achieve facial animation without having to build the robotic mechanisms in to the head.

INFORMATIONS