Starpery.com

Building a doll from scratch

Got an idea? Need an invention?
MIKE238
Former Member

Building a doll from scratch

Post by MIKE238 »

Hi everyone.

Well, I've decided to give a try a designing and building a doll from scratch. Needless to say this will be a long, drawn-out process and I expect it will take a year to two years to complete. But it's something I've been thinking about for a long time and there are a number of reasons why I want to do this. Right now I already have a beautiful doll I purchased (after I sold my Sinthetics doll recently) from the fine people at Oriental Rose dolls - I'll put up some photos of her eventually.

I've been tinkering around for a long time to try and figure out exactly how I'm going to approach the arduous task of building a sex doll. Here are what I have in mind to include with this doll when it's completed:

1. This doll will be made of Platinum-cured silicone. I would much, much prefer to use TPE but that is way out of my league as it takes, I presume, an entire factory full of the right kind of equipment to handle it. If anyone out there who is reading this has experience working with TPE at home in your garage or basement, I would LOVE to hear from you!

2. The doll will have eyelids that can open and close.

3. The doll will have an internal heating system throughout the doll, not just in the genital area.

4. The doll's head will be fully integrated with the body. That, of course, means there will only be one head. The reason for this is I never liked the "removeable head" concept and I would like to be able to snuggle with a doll that is as realistic as possible.

5. The fingers will be fully articulated with internal hand skeletons - no wires for bending the fingers. I want the fingers to be totally realistic in their movement and positions - just like what I'm looking at right now at my own fingers.

6. She will have a fully articulate mouth with a nice long tongue. The tongue will not be removable, it will be permanently secured in the mouth. I'm hoping I can install some type of mechanism to be able to extend the tongue just like a real human tongue. Using a very soft silicone would work for this.

7. In conjunction with step six above, the doll's head will have an internal skull with upper and lower teeth in the mouth - again, as realistic as possible. Having the skull would give me, also, the ability to introduce a mechanism to open and close the eyelids.

8. I will have a number of soft foam fillers inside the body to keep it as light as possible. I have a bad back so this is important for me to keep the doll's weight down.

9. Of course, the doll will have a fully articulated skeleton with all the normal movements expected in a realistic doll.

I'm sure there will be other ideas I hope to have in mind as the project moves along.

So how am I going to build the primary sculpture of the doll from which to make a mold for casting? 3D printing!

The biggest problem with sculpting the doll with a 3D printer is, of course, the overall size of the doll. To have a 3D printer capable of printing the sculpture in one piece would be, to say the least, far, far out of my ability to pay for one - if there is even a huge printer that can do it. I did find a very good and affordable 3D printer by which I can print the doll, though - in pieces!

Here's an image of the doll which I came up with by using high-end digital sculpting software. On the left is what, exactly, the doll will look like and on the right are the parts I will be printing to achieve the result I'm looking for:

I've already starting printing the parts as you can see here:

The printer I have produces very high-quality prints but I will still have a lot of sanding to do on all the parts to get a completely smooth result. You can see the layers of printing in the head. Fortunately, the PLA plasic I'm using to print the parts is extremely durable and sands very well. It's just going to take time. The four little "pins" there at the bottom of the photo will be used to pin the body parts together. You can also see them in the hands. The placement of the pins and "sockets" for the pins were included in the parts when sculpting the body in the software I used. That way the parts will perfectly join together when I'm ready to assemble the doll.

So that's what I have in mind! I will continue to post photos of my progress with this project and, like I mentioned above, this will be a very long endeavor. At times there will be long "gaps" in showing my progress but I will keep you all posted as to how things are going.

I forgot to mention that once the sculpture is fully completed I then want to make a fiberglass mold of the doll just like the big doll-makers use. Although I have no desire to get into the doll-making business, I might still be willing to make an occasional doll for someone who might have interest in one of these.

By the way, I'm very open to any suggestions you might have, especially with the mechanics of what I want to achieve with this doll.

That's it!

Mike

Tybalt
Ex-Member

Re: Building a doll from scratch

Post by Tybalt »

Lets see the back side! Some booty please!

MIKE238
Former Member

Post by MIKE238 »

Hah! I will gladly do so once the pieces have been 3D printed. That will take some time so keep watching my post!

MIKE238
Former Member

Post by MIKE238 »

Oh, wait. I know what you mean. I'll get a photo of her from the backside and post it when I can.

Mike

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Glad to see a fellow member take on such a project.
Maybe in a few yrs and can get started too.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Walley
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Walley »

MIKE238
Former Member

Post by MIKE238 »

Yep, already looked into Smooth-On stuff. I"m going the hard way, though, by doing all the sanding myself. It'll take awhile but I've already seen that it will work extremely well.

Will keep you posted.

DDdioxine
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by DDdioxine »

Nice work!
Love to see the progress!!

DD.

dollperfect
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dollperfect »

Good luck with this great project.

mike_hunt

Post by mike_hunt »

Genius.

MIKE238
Former Member

Post by MIKE238 »

Genius? Oh, no. Just a guy with an idea that may or may not come to fruition. But you can be sure I'm going to keep trying. And thanks!

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey Mike, great job so far! It's great to see another 3d printing enthusiast at work! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

That's a very ambitious project you're embarking on - I wish you luck and hope it all goes well.
Looking at the size of the parts you must have a really big printer, or is that just a small scale version?
The prints look nice. May I ask what printer and software you are using?

MIKE238
Former Member

Post by MIKE238 »

Hey MannequinFan,

Thanks a bunch for the encouragement! I really appreciate it especially since I know what I'm getting myself into with this project. But, really, it's going to be a whole lot of fun along with a whole lot of work!

Yes, this will be a full-sized doll when all the pieces have been printed and assembled. She will be about 5' 4" tall. The printing will take quite a bit of time for each piece. The head alone took about a day and a half to print and the torso pieces with arms and breasts will take about 6 days each! So that kind of gives an idea what I'm up against. Needless to say I bought a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) to keep the printer running if I lose electrical power for a short time.

As for the printer itself, I have a gMax 1.5 XT+ that I found here: http://www.gcreate.com/ This is a really superb printer and has a print volume of 16" by 16" by 21" in height so I have plenty of room to print each piece. Even as I'm writing this post the machine is printing the right-hand upper leg piece which will take about 3 days or so. I have to buy large spools of filament as you might imagine and I'm using an approved type of PLA for the printer. It's actually a blend of PLA/PHA which results in a tougher and less brittle PLA 3d printing filament. Plus, this blend is 100% biodegradable. Here's the website for the filament: http://colorfabb.com/ Even though they are based in the Netherlands I got my first order of filament in 4 days and at a very good price for a 2200 gram spool of filament.

The software I'm using Simplify3D which is really a good program for 3D printing. I tried other software and they are fine but Simplify3D has enormous amounts of settings and options. It produces extremely fine and clean prints as you can see in the photos above. This is not free software but for me it was totally worth the price of $149. Here's their website: https://www.simplify3d.com/

So that's the "skinny" right now and I will keep putting up photos as I continue with this.

By the way, one of the members sent me a private note asking if I could show the backside of the doll I'm building so here it is along with a side view:

Thanks again!

Mike

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Thanks Mike, that's very cool!
I've seen the 3d printer nerd's review on the gmax.
I'm afraid that thing would blow all the fuses in my apartment building, lol. :)

I think if it were me, I'd cut the arms near the shoulders and print them separate from the torso.
I would probably also cut the breasts off near the body and print them separately as well so they could be vertical. You might get better print quality on them that way - especially with the nipples. That would also eliminate or reduce the support material under the boobs.
One thing I like to do is to reduce or eliminate support material whenever possible, as it just ends up being wasted material that gets thrown away.
Having a few extra pieces wouldn't hurt since there's going to be a lot of finishing to do anyway.

So what software did you use to create the model?

MIKE238
Former Member

Post by MIKE238 »

You know, those are really good suggestions you made on the main torso of the model. I had actually thought about cutting the arms to print them separately earlier today. And I think your suggestion off cutting the boobs, too, would be a great idea. There will be a lot of extra work to do with the software I used to make this model but I think it would definitely be a wise approach. So thanks very much for the suggestions!

As for the software I use, it's Maya 2013 - 64 bit. I'm sure you're familiar with Maya. It has its quirks but I really enjoy using it and have worked with it for many years. By the way, I didn't actually digitally sculpt the model from scratch in Maya. Heck that's way beyond my capabilities. I used a "Daz Studio" software to generate the main female model. Then I imported it into Maya as an OBJ file and did a lot of re-sculpting to get what I was after with regards to breast size, leg shapes, butt shapes, etc. It's hard to describe Daz Studio but here is the link to its site. Really incredible stuff there: http://www.daz3d.com/home

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions, I really appreciate it and it's going to make my work a lot easier.

Will keep you posted!

Mike

INFORMATIONS