Starpery.com

My Afinia 3d printer has arrived!

Got an idea? Need an invention?
rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Re: My Afinia 3d printer has arrived!

Post by rubherkitty »

That's good. I can see the layered foam process for a really radical doll, but a converted mannequin is still probably the most cost effective silicone doll plug for me.
Considering the foam shaping and finishing process, you would pretty much have to hand sculpt all those muscles and veins anyway. Printing would be about the only way to get that detail in a hands on part. Wonder if a thin shell chest and ab print could be done then grafted to a mannequin?
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

I think what I had determined in the BJD thread is it would probably be just as easy to do this rather than the layered foam, then fill with expanding foam after assembly...

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Some expressions from the new Manuel Bastioni Lab.
No hair styles yet but it's in the works supposedly.
When this software finally comes to full fruition it should be pretty awesome.
I love the pouty expression in the middle... :)
MB Lab expressions.jpg
MB Lab expressions.jpg (595.24 KiB) Viewed 2629 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

More in the works from Manuel Bastioni Lab.
I'm REALLY liking the direction this is going... :) :twisted:

http://www.manuelbastioni.com/gallery.php

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks for the update!
Nice stuff. Tall and slinky!
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Mannen
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by Mannen »

Looks great!

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Mannen wrote:Looks great!
Thanks Mannen, and welcome to TDF! :D

That anime game chick would be perfect for a new BJD design. Can't wait to check her out in when that version is available!

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Wow, just thought I'd mention that if anyone wants one of these little Afinia printers now would be a good time.
$599 until December 31. That's almost 1/3 of what I paid for mine! Grrr! :evil: :)
I might just have to get another one at that price.
http://store.afinia.com/Afinia-H480-3D-Printer_p_8.html

mi6c
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by mi6c »

MannequinFan wrote:I might just have to get another one at that price.
Aye, I guess you might have to. :razz:
Unbelievable price, funny enough actually cheaper than their refurbished one. :wink: :lol:

I will second the recommendation, if you want to do 3d printing without getting involved in the "get the environment to work" part and just concentrate on your designs and get them realized, this is THE machine to do it on a budget.

Kind regards.
優月( Yuzuki) - Orient Industry Koyuki head / Silicone Art Super Styling(SS) body
艶( Tsuya) - Orient Industry Izumi head on Jewel Real Taste 146(L) body
Tinúviel - EXDOLL Samantha head on Orient Industry Jewel Candy Girl( Jewel 2) body
Yuzuki, Tsuya & friends

jdog
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by jdog »

Just finished reading through this entire thread. Been very enlightening to learn about different tools available. I recently purchased a 3d printer and will have questions and ideas along the way I am sure.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Hey MF! Thanks for the pic. How old were you then?

RK :D
Guess it was just your destiny.
Attachments
mannequin fan.jpg
mannequin fan.jpg (43.16 KiB) Viewed 2123 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

jdog wrote:Just finished reading through this entire thread. Been very enlightening to learn about different tools available. I recently purchased a 3d printer and will have questions and ideas along the way I am sure.
Hey jdog, welcome to TDF!
Nice to have another fellow 3d printer on board!
BTW, what printer did you get?

If you want a fun little doll project to try with your printer, check out the My Size Barbie parts I have for download here...
http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69416

:)

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

rubherkitty wrote:Hey MF! Thanks for the pic. How old were you then?

RK :D
Guess it was just your destiny.
Hey RK, I think I was about 25 in that photo, before the corrective surgery. :lol:

jdog
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by jdog »

MannequinFan wrote:
jdog wrote:Just finished reading through this entire thread. Been very enlightening to learn about different tools available. I recently purchased a 3d printer and will have questions and ideas along the way I am sure.
Hey jdog, welcome to TDF!
Nice to have another fellow 3d printer on board!
BTW, what printer did you get?

If you want a fun little doll project to try with your printer, check out the My Size Barbie parts I have for download here...
http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69416

:)
I purchased a Prusa i3 derivative by Folger Tech. Nothing fancy, and I still have to get it all assembled and tested. Would have loved to get something like you have, but wasn't in the budget.

I didn't know you were offering those files for download. Will for sure check them out. Thanks for that!

Did you ever get around to offering the files for sale for all the bjd joints written about in this thread? i would be very interested in purchasing that at some point, as I hope to eventually mod a mannequin with some joint replacements.

I'm very technically savvy, but never have worked much in 3d, so I'm really on a crash-course right now with different tools. Hoping to play around some in sketchup since it's fairly intuitive and cheaper than rhino. Thoughts?

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

jdog wrote:Did you ever get around to offering the files for sale for all the bjd joints written about in this thread? i would be very interested in purchasing that at some point, as I hope to eventually mod a mannequin with some joint replacements.

I'm very technically savvy, but never have worked much in 3d, so I'm really on a crash-course right now with different tools. Hoping to play around some in sketchup since it's fairly intuitive and cheaper than rhino. Thoughts?
Most of the joints in this thread are for my half size Abby BJD. Not sure they would work for a heavier full size mannequin.
If you click on the EVA4 links in my signature you can see some of the magnetic joints I've made for the mannequin.

If you're just getting started with 3d modeling, Autodesk has a suite of free software you could take look at called 123D.
123D design is a desktop app you can download, and Tinkercad is an online app which might be fun to start with.
http://www.123dapp.com/
I've not used either one, but I think 123D design is like a stripped down simplified version of Autodesk Inventor.
I haven't looked at Sketchup in a long time so it may be good too.

Another free program I use a lot is Meshmixer.
This is a great little program for working with 3d meshes. Tons of things you can do with it.
http://www.meshmixer.com/

INFORMATIONS