Starpery.com

Best way to mold and cast clay sculpture

Got an idea? Need an invention?
digitaldavid

Best way to mold and cast clay sculpture

Post by digitaldavid »

I've been researching some ways to do this and was just about to use a paint on rubber to create the mold.... until I stumbled upon what Guy Louis did....

1) He created a head sculpture in oil based clay
2) Created a molding with water based clay on back of the head
3) Created a backing structure out of plaster
4) Created a molding to the front of the head
5) Created a backing structure of it from plaster
6) Created an inner core from water based clay
7) Poured silicone into mold to create casting

http://www.louisxvimannequins.com/hedyR ... pture.html

Question.... Is water based clay a good material/method for molding? Has anyone here tried it? This would be much cheaper to do than the other methods and would save me lots of money.

toonist
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Re: Best way to mold and cast clay sculpture

Post by toonist »

The sulfur in water based clays will inhibit the curing of some silicones. Guy has it down. Trying to cut corners will waste your time ,money and materials.
P
There is a tremendous amount of 'learning curve' to go through to become a mold maker. Know your materials and their limitations. Sometimes you can get lucky and make up a 'new' version of how to do things...but the materials make the rules.

digitaldavid

Post by digitaldavid »

toonist wrote:The sulfur in water based clays will inhibit the curing of some silicones. Guy has it down. Trying to cut corners will waste your time ,money and materials.
P
There is a tremendous amount of 'learning curve' to go through to become a mold maker. Know your materials and their limitations. Sometimes you can get lucky and make up a 'new' version of how to do things...but the materials make the rules.

I think Guy uses Klean Klay or another form of no-sulfer water based clay.

digitaldavid

Post by digitaldavid »

Yeah, you're probably right... I'll try to cut corners later.

pygmalion2
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by pygmalion2 »

Guy Louis XVI does product testing for smooth-on silicones.
I have visited him at his house in Ottawa. He is a very nice
man that is very talented at what he does.

Mark
<em>I know the good artist</em>

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

digitaldavid,

You need the cleavant NSP for this job or simular (E.g. a simular NSP Plasticine from Kolb, or maybe sculpey III but I think that may contain some sulphur)
There is IMO not another way, at least not for a head of a doll, for a body you could do a reasonable good job with carputty but its a mess working with that stuff.
I think this case tin based silicone was used and thus the wet clay backing of the mold did work. I think with platinum based silicone one should avoid wet clay at any cost because the sulphur in it will prevent the platinum based silicone from curing.

Mytime & Helen & carmen
One dream, one mission...

digitaldavid

Post by digitaldavid »

mytime wrote:digitaldavid,

You need the cleavant NSP for this job or simular (E.g. a simular NSP Plasticine from Kolb, or maybe sculpey III but I think that may contain some sulphur)
There is IMO not another way, at least not for a head of a doll, for a body you could do a reasonable good job with carputty but its a mess working with that stuff.
I think this case tin based silicone was used and thus the wet clay backing of the mold did work. I think with platinum based silicone one should avoid wet clay at any cost because the sulphur in it will prevent the platinum based silicone from curing.

Mytime & Helen & carmen

Yeah... I have the Chavant NSP clay medium.. I'm pretty sure Guy uses wet clay with EcoFlex PlatSil. He has a video out where he demonstrates it.

beals8888
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by beals8888 »

very kool thanks guys i am trying to make a doll myself and its fun so far, long way to go though . i am using monster clay , sulfur free oil based any help will be very helpful.

INFORMATIONS