3 Foot Cinderella doll Mod Plans and Review

Got an idea? Need an invention?
DDdioxine
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: 3 Foot Cinderella doll Mod Plans and Review

Post by DDdioxine »

MannequinFan wrote:Hey DD that mask is outstanding! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Looks great on the MSB with the hair. Nice work!
Thanks MF. The eyes are a bit thick. Will need to do some sanding down.

DD.

TakersRose

Post by TakersRose »

DDdioxine wrote:
TakersRose wrote:Ahhhh the Barbie grin. The 'I'll keep this cheerleader grin no matter what you do to me'. :haha4: One of the reasons I've shyed away from the 1/6th scale Barbies is because I prefer the closed mouths.

The mask in your photos is incredible. If you don't mind me asking, how did you make it?
I got a 18 inch which actually has a lovely face.

Thanks for thinking that my mask is incredible. It's an idea I got when I first modified my MSB. It's a long procedure in the most simplified terms is creating the shell on a computer and 3D printed it out, then long hours of polishing and painting. When I have a more finished makeup I'll start a new thread. Posting the steps here will be hijacking your thread :oops: which I don't want. :P

DD.
I've seen the Supersize Barbies before. They're a really neat size and their faces are softer. I refer to their face style as the 'beauty queen' face. Because she's smiling but she looks happy and joyful. That may sound completely strange, but that's how I categorize Barbie faces.

Wow! That's amazing that you were able to create such a cool mask with a 3D printer. It looks so doll like and delicate. Just awesome work. :thumbs_up:

Thank you for sharing the eyes. Those look really cool. I've always liked separate eyes on dolls rather than just the ones that are painted on.

UPDATE!
This week has been really busy for me. I've had some family staying with me but hopefully I'll be able to get to the hair on Cinderella this weekend. I hope to remove it all so that I can get her a really nice wig. I'm looking at two different ones on Monique.com. One is a traditional curled style and the other is a really neat streaked wig. So I'm not sure which one I'll go with for this first one. But I want her to have more than one hair style and color, that's the greatest thing about wigs.

I'll post some photos of the head removal and hair removal process. It's Wrestlemania weekend too, so bear with me :glou:
Official Doll Accessories Fund = 47.00

Leia Marie - Teddy Bade - Doll Companion
Dyanna Lioncourt - Tonner Carol Barrie Model ~ Alpha Doll
Sarina - Phicen ~Sarina Valentina Body w/Jakks Pacific Paradise Dolls Head~
Cinderella -38" My Size Disney Cinderella Doll "
Belle - 38" My Size Disney Belle Doll

DDdioxine
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by DDdioxine »

TakersRose wrote:
I've seen the Supersize Barbies before. They're a really neat size and their faces are softer. I refer to their face style as the 'beauty queen' face. Because she's smiling but she looks happy and joyful. That may sound completely strange, but that's how I categorize Barbie faces.

Wow! That's amazing that you were able to create such a cool mask with a 3D printer. It looks so doll like and delicate. Just awesome work. :thumbs_up:

Thank you for sharing the eyes. Those look really cool. I've always liked separate eyes on dolls rather than just the ones that are painted on.

UPDATE!
This week has been really busy for me. I've had some family staying with me but hopefully I'll be able to get to the hair on Cinderella this weekend. I hope to remove it all so that I can get her a really nice wig. I'm looking at two different ones on Monique.com. One is a traditional curled style and the other is a really neat streaked wig. So I'm not sure which one I'll go with for this first one. But I want her to have more than one hair style and color, that's the greatest thing about wigs.

I'll post some photos of the head removal and hair removal process. It's Wrestlemania weekend too, so bear with me :glou:
Looking forward to seeing your photos.

DD.

TakersRose

Post by TakersRose »

I was able to begin the hair removal on Cinderella today. I actually did it during Wrestlemania. :haha4: What follows is a set of photos during the progress of getting her hair cut as short as possible.

I'm going to try and remove her head tomorrow, though I'm not sure how I'll achieve that with the way her neck is inserted into her head. Also, looking closely at the neck, I think I'll have to get some hemostats (which I do not own at this time) to reach into the head cavity in order to remove the hair fully. On 1/6 scale or smaller doll heads I use needle nose tweezers that are actually made for making jewelry. However, those I believe will be too short to reach all the way into her head.

If anyone has any tips for removing her head, those would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I wanna do is damage her.

More to come. :glou:
Attachments
This is just after I'd taken her hair down. Her bangs had been parted on the left side of her head and pulled under the rest of her hair and secured with a rubber band. A small section of hair had been formed into a small ponytail just behind her secured bangs. When I took the rubber bands off, her hair became very awkwardly layered and the bangs were extremely long and rooted into the scalp for only the one style.
This is just after I'd taken her hair down. Her bangs had been parted on the left side of her head and pulled under the rest of her hair and secured with a rubber band. A small section of hair had been formed into a small ponytail just behind her secured bangs. When I took the rubber bands off, her hair became very awkwardly layered and the bangs were extremely long and rooted into the scalp for only the one style.
Cinderella hair removal the beginning.jpg (822.73 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
This is the first angle I took after removing part of the bangs. It was difficult to section out the bangs and I ended up having to take them by very small shanks in order to get them cut down to the desired length.
This is the first angle I took after removing part of the bangs. It was difficult to section out the bangs and I ended up having to take them by very small shanks in order to get them cut down to the desired length.
Cinderella Hair removal 1.jpg (832.54 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
The second photo I took after I began. This is when I had cut away the bangs. Those were the first two sections of hair that I got rid of. They had been pulled around her forehead and rooted into her scalp especially for that. As you can see, now that they're gone, it looks a little strange.
The second photo I took after I began. This is when I had cut away the bangs. Those were the first two sections of hair that I got rid of. They had been pulled around her forehead and rooted into her scalp especially for that. As you can see, now that they're gone, it looks a little strange.
Cinderella Hair Removal 2.jpg (800.7 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
About a third of her hair is gone here. It got really tricky at this point because I noticed that her hair was 'clumping'. It tended to want to get into these clumps and not separate. I've had Barbie hair do the same. It's annoying but overcome easily by creating sections.
About a third of her hair is gone here. It got really tricky at this point because I noticed that her hair was 'clumping'. It tended to want to get into these clumps and not separate. I've had Barbie hair do the same. It's annoying but overcome easily by creating sections.
Cinderella Hair Removal about a third of the way.jpg (797.99 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
Here's the first major section of hair gone. During this process her hair was very easily tangled and I had to keep brushing it before separating it and pinning it with bobby pins in order to remove more hair.
Here's the first major section of hair gone. During this process her hair was very easily tangled and I had to keep brushing it before separating it and pinning it with bobby pins in order to remove more hair.
Cinderella Hair Removal first section gone.jpg (864.64 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
This is the final photo in the series. This is after I got every section of her hair cut down as short as I possibly dared. As you can see, her hair was rooted in large sections across her scalp but not tightly so.
This is the final photo in the series. This is after I got every section of her hair cut down as short as I possibly dared. As you can see, her hair was rooted in large sections across her scalp but not tightly so.
Cinderella Hair Removal Final.jpg (828.46 KiB) Viewed 1604 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey TR, looks like she's getting a good buzz cut!

Here is a tutorial on the head removal that I found.
It's for a regular size Barbie but the MSB is basically made the same way. It has the same plastic connector that goes up into the head.
You need to heat the head around the neck area with a hair dryer until it gets soft and pliable, then pry it off over the connector working your way around.

http://chrissyscreativecorner.blogspot. ... -head.html

TakersRose

Post by TakersRose »

MannequinFan wrote:Hey TR, looks like she's getting a good buzz cut!

It's for a regular size Barbie but the MSB is basically made the same way. It has the same plastic connector that goes up into the head.
You need to heat the head around the neck area with a hair dryer until it gets soft and pliable, then pry it off over the connector working your way around.

Thank you very much! That tutorial looks extremely helpful. I'll definitely try it when I have the time.

DollAfficionado

Post by DollAfficionado »

This is a very interesting project.
DollAfficionado (D.A.) 8)
Review of my SUKI doll from Sili Doll viewtopic.php?f=253&t=73439

TakersRose

Post by TakersRose »

DollAfficionado wrote:This is a very interesting project.
Thanks, it looks like I'm definitely going to have to get some hemostats in order to remove the hair from the head cavity once I remove the head. I just don't think the tweezers I have are going to be long enough. I'll take some photos in a day or two for comparison when I have the time.

jrlc
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jrlc »

You can also just grab her head firmly and pull directly upwards, it will come off
MannequinFan wrote:Hey TR, looks like she's getting a good buzz cut!

TakersRose

Post by TakersRose »

I did a photo shoot yesterday. Another member of the forum was kind enough to give me some clothes for my Cinderella. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get her a wig yet. But she's very photogenic in my opinion. :)
Attachments
I'm not sure what this is meant to be other than some kind of undergarment. But I'm thinking of removing it during my planned mods. Because I want to give her a larger bustline. I'm very attracted to Pinup art and that is the silhouette that I'm going for.
I'm not sure what this is meant to be other than some kind of undergarment. But I'm thinking of removing it during my planned mods. Because I want to give her a larger bustline. I'm very attracted to Pinup art and that is the silhouette that I'm going for.
Cinderealla Blue Under Thing.png (840.63 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Cinderella Pink Club Dress.png
Cinderella Pink Club Dress.png (877.9 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Cinderella Cherry Sun Dress.png
Cinderella Cherry Sun Dress.png (871.22 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Cinderella Blue Plantation Dress.png
Cinderella Blue Plantation Dress.png (809.8 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Cinderella Pinup Dress.png
Cinderella Pinup Dress.png (657.02 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey TR she's really cute! Nice outfits!
Just thought I'd mention I have some breast augments designed for the MSB in three sizes.
Not sure how large a bust you're going for. These would just glue on and you'd have to use some filler to smooth them to the body at the top.
http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 23#p912923

TakersRose

Post by TakersRose »

MannequinFan wrote:Hey TR she's really cute! Nice outfits!
Just thought I'd mention I have some breast augments designed for the MSB in three sizes.
Not sure how large a bust you're going for. These would just glue on and you'd have to use some filler to smooth them to the body at the top.
http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 23#p912923
Thank you so much.

I have to admit, I love breasts. No matter the size, I love them. I think the 'more perky' would be the size I would choose for Cinderella because of proportions and what not.

QUESTION?
This is a question for those who mod dolls. Would it possibly be better to try and remove the blue under garment or just paint over it?

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

TakersRose wrote:QUESTION?
This is a question for those who mod dolls. Would it possibly be better to try and remove the blue under garment or just paint over it?
If you are going to paint her it would be easiest to just sand it a little with 220 grit sandpaper and paint over it.
Acetone will remove the paint but it would take a lot of rubbing to get it off. Acetone will also melt the plastic surfaces so you'd have to be careful.

TakersRose

Post by TakersRose »

MannequinFan wrote:
TakersRose wrote:QUESTION?
If you are going to paint her it would be easiest to just sand it a little with 220 grit sandpaper and paint over it.
Acetone will remove the paint but it would take a lot of rubbing to get it off. Acetone will also melt the plastic surfaces so you'd have to be careful.
That was exactly my concern, I had originally thought of using nail polish remover to remove the blue color.

My next question is, once I've removed the blue paint, should I use acrylic to match her skin tone or is there another type of paint that would be better? Also, should I wait to paint her until I've 'redone' the rest of her because I have a lot of mods planned.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Acrylic paint works well on the plastic as long as you dull it some with a little sanding.
I believe the MSBs are made from ABS or some kind of polystyrene plastic. It seems to have similar qualities as my printer plastic which is ABS. I think it would be better to wait until you're done with the mods before doing any painting.

I've been using the Behr premium plus ultra paint you can get at Home Depot - it has the primer built in. You can get 8oz sample jars in any color, matte and satin finishes for about 3 or 4 bucks. They can also scan & match. All they need is a piece about the size of a quarter to scan.

INFORMATIONS