dollstudio.org

Hang tools for dressing, storage and photography

Dollstudio focuses on life-like dolls made of silicone and TPE, with products spanning from life-sized love dolls and manikins over miniature companions to 1/6 scale miniatures. Based in Europe, Dollstudio is an authorized vendor for respected manufacturers like Doll Sweet, Ruby13, Maidlee Doll, Dream Doll Creation, OR Doll, WM Dolls, YL Doll, JM Doll, Sanhui, Hitdoll, Onedoll, and Lovely Doll. By default, we're shipping from Germany with all customs and taxes cleared.
Dollstudio
VENDOR
VENDOR

Hang tools for dressing, storage and photography

Post by Dollstudio »

Hi,

with this post I'd like to start a little series overviews about the various hang tool options for dressing, storage and photography of current love dolls.

To start with, there are quite some differences which dolls can be hung from a hook or a doll stand; some are not designed for hanging at all, some allow hanging for short periods of time, and others even have mechanisms for long-term storage. One doll is spcifically designed for hanging, another one barely manages hanging, and another one might be even damaged from hanging. So please read carefull if a certain mechanism is supported by your manufacturer.

Here are a couple of such hang tools as they are supplied by some doll makers that use a M16 neck thread:
hang-tools-4581-dollstudio.JPG
hang-tools-4581-dollstudio.JPG (232.98 KiB) Viewed 5688 times
The upper and lower hooks are available for Doll House 168 TPE and Z-Onedoll silicone dolls. This hook is connected to the M16 neck thread of the doll. ZO dolls can use this hook - if they do not have body heating, audio replay, or animatronics (in these casee, the head can not be removed without breaking the doll) and if they are not a ZO-162 or ZO-170 body style (which are too heavy).

Obviously, this hanging method only supports hanging without an attached head, so it is not so much suitable for photography.

In the middle is a back hook available from Z-Onedoll. That one is available on request when the doll is produced, and is screwed into the back. It is available for dolls with body heating, audio replay, or animatronics as the head does not have to be removed for hanging. It can be a handy tool for photography and dressing, but you need a hook or a doll stand to make use of it.

The back hook is not intended to be retrofittable; if you order a ZO with back bolt, there will be a small hole in the back (I have posted pictures how this looks elsewhere).

Closeup of the neck hook:
hang-tools-4582-dollstudio.JPG
hang-tools-4582-dollstudio.JPG (176.71 KiB) Viewed 5688 times
This is the M16 nut that you attach to the M16 neck bolt:
hang-tools-4585-dollstudio.JPG
hang-tools-4585-dollstudio.JPG (181.96 KiB) Viewed 5688 times
hang-tools-4583-dollstudio.JPG
hang-tools-4583-dollstudio.JPG (192.98 KiB) Viewed 5688 times
This piece can rotate:
hang-tools-4584-dollstudio.JPG
hang-tools-4584-dollstudio.JPG (399.48 KiB) Viewed 5688 times
hang-tools-4586-dollstudio.JPG
hang-tools-4586-dollstudio.JPG (195.09 KiB) Viewed 5688 times
Both mechanisms are not recommended for long-term storage. Neither Z-Onedoll's back hook nor the neck hoook are designed to fully carry the weight for extended periods of time.

However, in combination with the standing foot option which is available as well for DH168 as ZO dolls, those hooks can be used to balace the doll and avoid her from falling. Also not recommended, but relatively often practised anyway is to combine the standing skeleton with a hook. The weight should be balanced as good as possible between the standing skeleton and the hook. Ideally, you can spread the strain more or less evenly, allowing you to store the doll semi-standing and semi-hanging in the closet.

Again, this is not recommended, but it seems to work quite well for some people.

These hooks and bolts are available on request from Doll House 168 and Z-Onedoll, but they also work for any other brand with M16 neck connector, for example WM Doll/WM Dolls, YL Doll, OR Doll, JY Doll, Maiden Doll, Irontech and so on.

The general rule of thumb is, using the M16 neck thread temporarily for hanging works best for lightweight dolls with hinged neck and comes with the highest risk for (possibly severe) damages for heavy dolls in the 35+ kg range with a gooseneck. If you have a 40 kg doll with gooseneck, I'd think twice before trying to use the neck thread for hanging, even for very short periods of time.

In the next posting I will take a look into long-term storage options from Doll Sweet.

Sandro

https://twitter.com/DollStudioEU/status ... 5848105984
Dollstudio EU - Customers from EU countries, please visit eu.dollstudio.org (in English)
Dollstudio US - Customers from the U.S., Canada and outside the EU, please visit us.dollstudio.org (in English)
Dollstudio DE - Kunden aus Deutschland sind willkommen auf de.dollstudio.org (in Deutsch)

Get news & updates on Twitter - Dollstudio @Twitter

DS Doll Europe (EU) - Customers from EU countries, please visit en.dsdolleurope.com (in English)

Dollstudio Dollworks Adapter System - Create your hybrid doll!

Cubiko
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: Hang tools for dressing, storage and photography

Post by Cubiko »

Good topic, Sandro. It will be very interesting to see the DS kits. I am still a bit confused about what to purchase for the bigger DS girls.

Booty Call Dolls
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Booty Call Dolls »

Sandro,
Do you have one of those weight machines to show the stress on the neck joint when hanging with her feet in the air vs her feet on the ground?
Can we get a weight on floor scale when hanging and feet on the ground?
I feel that data will be an eye opener for many.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Dollstudio
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Dollstudio »

Hi,

@Jeff: I ordered a parcel scale with movable display and will try to figure out a setup. I am curious about real measurements, too.

The draft idea is to hang the doll onto a doll stand a put her feet onto a parcel scale and then shift the weight around. Maybe I'll need a winch for that, we'll see.

Today I want to continue with devices Doll Sweet is offering for hanging and storage. Most of it will be based on an older post with some updates.

Doll Sweet offers two products for hanging, display and storage:

a) a (relatively elegant) doll stand for display, and
b) a doll hook for hanging the doll body.

The latter one is sometimes referred to as hang kit as it used to come with several parts. The hang kit is included with a DS doll stand.

The Doll Sweet Doll Hook allows to

a) present the doll with attached head temporarily on a suitable stand, and
b) to store the doll without attached head permanently on a suitable hanging device.

Basically, the doll hook is a part from the doll stand that Doll Sweet decided to offer separately; it's intended for all those who don't need the rather expensive original stand and allows to connect either the doll's body for long time storage, or to set up the doll with attached head for (tempory) display.

The Doll Hook comes with three pieces that do not really have names; it's
a) a "heavy piece",
b) a long "thin piece", and
c) a simple connector with two hooks.

Let's take a look at the intended use cases.

1) Long time storage of the doll's body.

The "heavy piece" goes onto the neck bolt; you can screw it tight, and then it allows to hang the doll's body onto any hook, e.g. in your closet. This piece is designed for long time storage of the body:
ds-doll-hook-6038-dsdolleurope.jpg
ds-doll-hook-6038-dsdolleurope.jpg (543.19 KiB) Viewed 5575 times
The doll hook is connected to neck joint in doll's body:
ds-doll-hook-6037-dsdolleurope.jpg
ds-doll-hook-6037-dsdolleurope.jpg (556.94 KiB) Viewed 5575 times
The complete setup for long time storage with the hook on a doll stand looks like so:
ds-doll-stand-6039-dsdolleurope.jpg
ds-doll-stand-6039-dsdolleurope.jpg (589.68 KiB) Viewed 5575 times
(continued in next post)
Dollstudio EU - Customers from EU countries, please visit eu.dollstudio.org (in English)
Dollstudio US - Customers from the U.S., Canada and outside the EU, please visit us.dollstudio.org (in English)
Dollstudio DE - Kunden aus Deutschland sind willkommen auf de.dollstudio.org (in Deutsch)

DS Doll Europe (EU) - Customers from EU countries, please visit en.dsdolleurope.com (in English)

Dollstudio
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Dollstudio »

2) Setting up the doll with head for display.

The long thin piece can be screwed inside the doll's neck bolt. Then it can be pushed through the hole in the head. You can attach the head to the body as usual; the end of the thin piece will peek out a bit on top of the head.

With these elements, you can hang the doll with attached head onto a doll stand (or anything else that is able to carry the other end of the hook). These elements are not designed for long time storage but for display purposes.
ds-doll-hook-6040-dsdolleurope.jpg
ds-doll-hook-6040-dsdolleurope.jpg (656.37 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
The long thin piece is screwed into the neck joint:
ds-doll-hook-6041-dsdolleurope.jpg
ds-doll-hook-6041-dsdolleurope.jpg (466.92 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
…then it goes through the hole in the doll's head:
ds-doll-hook-6042-dsdolleurope.jpg
ds-doll-hook-6042-dsdolleurope.jpg (473.81 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
The end peeks out on top of the doll's head, like so:
ds-doll-stand-6043-dsdolleurope.jpg
ds-doll-stand-6043-dsdolleurope.jpg (696.77 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
…and can be hung on a hook or a doll stand.
ds-doll-stand-6044-dsdolleurope.jpg
ds-doll-stand-6044-dsdolleurope.jpg (704.96 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
Detail of the connections:
ds-doll-stand-6045-dsdolleurope.jpg
ds-doll-stand-6045-dsdolleurope.jpg (648.53 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
The long piece is thin enough to pierce through the fabric of most wigs without damaging the wig. Also it might be easier to dress a hanging doll.

The Doll Hook is a handy utility for everyone who already has a compatible doll stand or wants to build his own; it's easy to use and worked quite well, at least in the variant shown above.

For a while, DS is shipping slightly different pieces. The "long thin piece" currently looks like this:
DSC05166.JPG
DSC05166.JPG (397.2 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
That's the side that goes into the doll's neck:
DSC05168.JPG
DSC05168.JPG (355.14 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
…and that side goes onto the hook:
DSC05169.JPG
DSC05169.JPG (369.21 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
There are some reports that this new "long thin piece" does not fit through all heads, or gets stuck halfway in. I sent the last "old" doll hook to a customer who reported that problem, and I am severely regretting it - the "old" pieces worked a lot smoother.

However, the flexibility DS offers with this set is still excellent. DS dolls do not need a massive eye bolt in their back for hanging, the kit is designed for long term storage, and the "long thin piece" can - if it works - help to avoid mishaps like this (btw, I love this photo ;-).

If you take the original doll stand and the "ling thin piece" for hanging, you will need to photoedit your pictures:
DSC00902.JPG
DSC00902.JPG (228.52 KiB) Viewed 5563 times
DSC05169.JPG
DSC05169.JPG (369.21 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
You can make your doll float, like I did with Leia/Youyi above, but some part of the doll stand or the hook will be almost always visible.

On the other hand, you could build a DIY connector. The thread at the end that goes into the dolls neck has a width of about 5.85 mm, which makes it effectively compatible with a M6 screw

Sandro

Peonyou101
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Peonyou101 »

Thankyou Dollstudio for sharing this info, this is great info for people looking for methods of hanging up their dolls for storage so the doll don't take up as much room just laying there or sitting in a chair, most dolls I've seen arn't built to be sat long term in a chair either which can cause dent and rips over time due to joints being bent for too long and stretching the material of the parts that are bent in the legs. I don't know why either most of the manufacturers and vendors that sells doll do not have a section on their websites either about tools they sell for storing dolls either, you pretty much have to dig up the info yourself or trying contacting them to find out if they carry such a thing. The few that I have found that sells them seem very expensive also. Its like they purposely use the M16 thread on the neck bolt cause I have looked and no regular hardware stores uses the M16 thread so they pretty much charge whatever high price they want to people interested in hanging up their TPE or Silicone dolls. Dollstudio, when you have time can you also tell us the prices to all these hanging tools you mentioned here and where we can buy them from. Thankyou

Booty Call Dolls
VENDOR
VENDOR

Sandro,
Great stuff!

Peonyou101,
IMHO, a good vendor should ask how you plan on storing your doll.
I adopt out mostly TPE dolls so if people say the word hang, I tell them not to let her hang unless both feet are supported.
Once Sandro gets that scale, it will be an EYE OPENER.
Then again, I see vendors selling black lingerie.
YIKES!
Jeff

Dollstudio
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Dollstudio »

Booty Call Dolls wrote:Do you have one of those weight machines to show the stress on the neck joint when hanging with her feet in the air vs her feet on the ground?
Can we get a weight on floor scale when hanging and feet on the ground?
I feel that data will be an eye opener for many.
That little weight experiment turns out to be a bit more complicated…

The idea was to take this package scale…
DSC05174.JPG
DSC05174.JPG (151.45 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
…to measure the real weight of a doll with standing skeleton and hanging capability. The scale I got has a base plate of 40×40 cm, so a doll can stand more or less safely:
DSC05173.JPG
DSC05173.JPG (434.96 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
So far everything works. That's the real weight of the JY-168 I have currently on stock: 32.96 kg with head attached.
DSC05175.JPG
DSC05175.JPG (111.38 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
That's a pretty accurate measurement, According to the current specs, she is supposed to be 32.4 kg. About 0.5 kg deviation is excellent.

The next step would be to replace the head with a hook, hang the hook onto another scale, and then hang that scale onto a doll stand. Something like so:
DSC05178.JPG
DSC05178.JPG (312.72 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
The problem is that the construct for measuring is ~40 cm long, plus height of parcel scale from floor (5 cm) = ~45 cm. At max extension, the doll stand is about 175 cm, so to combine standing & hanging, the doll must not be taller than ~130 cm. All the dolls I have here are either taller, or have no hanging capability, or no standing skeleton.

To proceed with this experiment, I need to wait until I get a doll <=130 cm with standing & hanging capability. Or I neetd to elevate the stand with it's base frame of 65×65 cm half a meter above the package scale and still get a doll onto the stand.

I am all ears if someone has a better idea…

Sandro

darkpaw1

Post by darkpaw1 »

Where can I buy this hook set up?

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

Body hang

This DS Dolls mechanism is a proverbial sledgehammer to crack a nut:

Ray Rentell, who lo longer frequents this doll forum (for reasons unknown to me) came up with this simple eye bolt that you can buy for two dollars via eBay:
Eye bolt to replace the DS Dolls complex mechanism
Eye bolt to replace the DS Dolls complex mechanism
EyeBoltForBodyHangDS_79.jpg (154.07 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
It simply screws in to the hollow threaded shaft that sticks up out of the neck. (The DS mechanism has a fiddly attachment to that circumferential indentation half way down.)

Whole doll hang

The through-head hang system is described in this topic as suitable only for hanging temporarily, but I do not see why. The tensile stress is all on steel parts, above the neck post anyway. If everything from the neck post down is strong enough to hang indefinitely (which it seems to be) then the whole doll should be able do so. I have left my DS doll hanging a couple of days or so from the through-head bracket with no problem.

Tip: When you screw in the long and thin through-head thing, unscrew it one turn before feeding it through the hole in the head. Then you can turn the head without twisting the steel bracket. This piece:

Booty Call Dolls
VENDOR
VENDOR

Everhard,
I am guessing DS is playing it safe, but one thing you could do is place nooks or something under her feet to even make it safer.
Best,
Jeff

Sixugliness

Post by Sixugliness »

Thank you for the info since I am planning to hang my doll in closet.

GirlsGang
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by GirlsGang »

Hi Sandro,

I was using a love swing and luggage scale to measure the weight of a 4woods S+ body, since there is no standing / hanging device for this body.
I have a bed gallow for hanging my DS girls for foto shoots, and it accepts a love swing as well. Max load is 90 kg.
2015-07-05_0034.jpg
2015-07-05_0034.jpg (165.18 KiB) Viewed 3256 times

I have to agree to Everhard, the DS hang kit for storage is way over designed. A steel wire 1mm diameter carries 1 metric ton 8O (static).
My own design "foto" hang kit uses a M3 threaded rod and the girls have been hanging for a week on the gallow with no floor contact. They could hang there forever...
L&L Jeans_015.jpg
L&L Jeans_015.jpg (1020.57 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
Cheers
GirlsGang

Someone who thinks logically is a nice contrast to the real world.

The girls:
Leora & Leonie (DS145)
Ebony & Ivory (Smart Dolls, 1/3)
Meet the Gang (1/6)
REVIEW:
AI S+ Fay/Sonia 4woods EU

TMT1310
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by TMT1310 »

These dolls look so much different in real than of those pictures on stores.

Dollstudio
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Dollstudio »

Hi,

let's update this thread a bit.

Since October 15th, 2019, every Piper Doll comes with a free hanging hook for storage and photography.

This mechanism consists of an eyebolt piece, which leads through the head. The eybolt part can be hung onto a hook.
piper-doll-hanging-hook-3.jpg
piper-doll-hanging-hook-3.jpg (431.1 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
As far as I know, the Piper Doll mechanism is the first manufacturer-supplied solution for hanging a TPE doll with head attached.

Making such an effort is highly appreciated. It's hard to understand that no other TPE doll maker provides such an accessory.

Sandro

INFORMATIONS