betterlovedoll.com

Seperate Mods, Maintenance and Repairs Sub-Forums

Official announcements regarding "The Doll Forum" and "CoverDoll" from site management.
Also post your own announcements.

Would you prefer seperate Repairs & Maintenance sub-forums for each brand ?

Yes
77%
No
15%
Indifferent
8%

Total votes: 164

TDF_Management
Staff
Staff

Seperate Mods, Maintenance and Repairs Sub-Forums

Post by TDF_Management »

We are currently looking at revamping and restructuring some of the forums.
Suggestions are always welcome.

It has been suggested that the separate Mods, Repairs and Maintenance Sub-Forums be added to the specific Brand doll forums so that information on specific brands would be easier to locate.

Brand specific topics would be moved from the Repairs and Maintenance section and the original Repairs and maintenance section would be moved as a sub-section to Dolls In General.

Phreddie
Server Admin
Server Admin

Re: Seperate Mods, Maintenance and Repairs Sub-Forums

Post by Phreddie »

I'd think this would be more confusing and create three places for every repair. Now, repairs could be in either the general repairs section, or in the main doll company's section. So with this mod, they may also be in a sub-forum repair off from the company. I'd think most silicone repairs are generic. I suppose no matter how many places there are, a search should find it, if the poster put enough key words in the post. AND if the person searching also needs repairs done.
But as far as potential answerers, much larger population in a generic, non-company specific section I'd think... (shrug). Just my personal thoughts...

midiman
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by midiman »

Phreddie wrote:I'd think this would be more confusing ...
Think back to your first visit to TDF. You said you were overwhelmed.

A forum is like a sales brochure, operators manual and service manual about dolls.

The idea of mods, repairs and maintenance sub-forums is to insure that all the brand specific topics are easy to locate because they are attached directly to the brands they they are specific too. It also means that a generic care and maintenance forum will be much smaller and easier to sort through.

If you want to know how to fix a neck joint or broken hip on a RealDoll then you would find it in the repairs sub-forum of RealDoll. You want to make eyelashes for a Teddy Babe, you find it in the Teddy Babe section subforum.

In fact a lot of people have already been posting inquiries about repair problems in the specific brands doll forums, so there are probably as many threads in the brands as her are in the current repairs and maintenance.

So the sub-forums are in fact following a natural progression of what posters have already been doing at TDF.

ie.

Realdoll Forum
- Mods, Repairs and Maintenance

Ruby13 Forum

Dolls in General

If you wanted information on how to fix your Ruby's broken foot, where would you first look if you were new on this forum?
Midiman...
My Doll photos... here in my Doll Album

Gabrielle BT ---- Libby Ruby13 ---- My Teddy Babes --- Bianca from Lars & the RG --- jessica Wicked RD ------ Aredhel PIB ------ Amaya 4woods - Kira Anatomical

AlexKnight
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by AlexKnight »

Phreddie wrote:I'd think this would be more confusing and create three places for every repair. Now, repairs could be in either the general repairs section, or in the main doll company's section. So with this mod, they may also be in a sub-forum repair off from the company.
That would be a task for our moderators, if they see a repair topic in the main company forum, it should be moved to the repair sub-forum to keep information in one place.
Check out Kayla's Christmas dress by clicking here. - December 17, 2015
or have a look at Ashley's Coverdoll release by clicking here - June 13, 2015

A must-see video on Realdoll softness! Click here!

Here's my Doll Album, with pictures of Jenna*, Melissa*, Kayla & Ashley, and some other things: Doll Album Gallery
*I no longer have Jenna or Melissa.

skybird100000
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by skybird100000 »

I voted no. I like it as it is now. There are not too many posts so rather easy to browse.

I like subdirectories but I checked the repair section and I saw like 20 different topics in 2 months so I dont see the need. I also dont want the start a topic with for example Arte tokio doll fingerpoke while I could simply check fingerpokes in general and when I dont find there what to do then I post a new topic with more questions or I reply in the original fingerpoke post with a new question.

I posted recently a topic about my 4wood broken spine but once I have more info or decide what to do I will look how others fixed it and I dont care what branch their dolls are from.

I think a lot of repairs are general and basicly all the same. We are not talking of the human body here. A doll is silicon + skeleton (speaking silicon dolls only). There are different skeletons and silicon but thats it. For example I really need to fix some silicon problems with my doll, does it really mather if I look at 4 woods or Realdoll forum to see how its fixed? The only important thing I guess is that I use the correct silicon and what I should be aware off.

I need to repair the spine of my 4wood doll, its cutting and replacing the broken part it doesnt matter if its titanium or steel. I need the correct spine replacement (so I have idea how big the cut will have to be) and correct silicon but the work/repair should be the same for any doll.

Am I so wrong with that?

With the new system I would be forced to go look/click in each subdirectory to see how repairs are done.

Mechwizard
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mechwizard »

There is a joke in engineering: "If it isn't broken then it doesn't have enough features yet."

Why make things more complex? Just leave it alone. :thumbs_down:
Mechwizard
Consort to the Queen of Curves
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=10796

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

I do agree with Skybird and Mechwizard.
When my Lily needed knee surgery, I learned a lot from looking at repair threads of different brands of dolls.
Just keep it simple en keep it together.

Joe Bin
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Joe Bin »

Mechwizard wrote:There is a joke in engineering: "If it isn't broken then it doesn't have enough features yet."

Why make things more complex? Just leave it alone. :thumbs_down:
It is to complicated now! I need advice and can only find the wrong advice in to many places. If there is a place to ask for advice and get answers, I still haven't found it. I hate too have to constantly bother the manufactures if I can get the answer on the forum.
One advantage I see in having separate maintenance and repair sub forums, is that all brands of dolls are made differently. So anything to avoid scanning through pages of other dolls to get to the one you have, is good Imo.

deusbot
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by deusbot »

Alternatives might include a general tagging system for posts or having doll specific subforums UNDER "mods,maintenance and repairs".

Mods and repairs are task/problem focused, and while having the most specific info is nice, being able to backup under the same task and see what others might have would be better than having to go to each seperate model. In my mind its easier if all repairs were in one bucket, but each seperated further.

The web is a hypertext system, you could have a subforum link under each model that links to the task based subforums, or vice versa. It's about finding what you want and need no matter where you are.

It might be nice to search "all repair/mod/maintenance subforums" (whatever/wherever those may be).

Being able to tag any post "repair/mod/maintenance" or any other tag and search by tags just like the Doll Album, with the ability for anyone (with say more than 10 posts) to tag anything. Then you could find "RD B5 breast repair". Put both search systems together and you can have both post AND illustrations in the same search basket.
Artificial Intelligence is the study of how to make real computers act like the ones in the movies -Anon

The questions you ask determine the discoveries you will make - db

Bianca
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by Bianca »

Keep in mind that there are more repair and mod related threads mixed in each of the individual forums than there are in the repairs and maintenance forum itself. Many are long since buried.

There is a tremendous amount of redundancy in threads at TDF, because people do not search to see if a topic is already being discussed. So having a separate section makes them easier to find, without the need of using the search function which many shy away from.

Also although I have also been known to use the phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!", there are variables that come into play that do render that saying inappropriate.

For instance, if you have a trailer attached to a tractor, and you are towing it through a field, piling rocks on the trailer, at some point either the tractor can no longer pull the trailer or the axles of the trailer will buckle under the weight of the rocks.

When TDF had only a few thousand threads it was easy to find just about anything with minimal effort. But now TDF has over 37,200 topics. Just like a library needs to categorize its books to make it workable, as the database grows it may be necessary to further subdivide it of forever be duplicating threads that already exist.

I just spent about an hour searching the RealDoll Forum for broken, repairs and neck and found 48 topics. I am certain there are at least three times that amount mixed in with over 5500 topics. These of course could be moved to the Existing repairs and Maintenance but whereas many are specific to the Realdoll, they would be of no value to others.

Just as an example, I set up a Mods. Repairs and Maintenance forum in the RealDoll Forum, because a working example is a much better way to evaluate the proposed additions. I think this is essentially what deusbot is speaking about in his post above. Unfortunately phpBB3 does not have a tagging system so that is not an option. If everyone used descriptive topic titles that identified the posts it would make searching a lot easier. The 48 topics I did find were only based on Topic Title search. ie. One said. "I need Help On Repairs"...I changed to "I need Help On Left Leg Repair"

http://dollforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

As you can see, it adds no extra lines to the main forums page...only to the RealDoll Forum.

OF course RealDoll is the biggest, and some like Anatomical Doll, PIB or Ruby would have far fewer entries, but again easy to locate.

I hope this better helps folks to evaluate and voice their opinions.
xxxooo Bianca
COVERDOLL
Galleries at ...
Coverdoll | Doll Forum

B3F11dolly
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by B3F11dolly »

midiman wrote: ie.

Realdoll Forum

Ruby13 Forum

Dolls in General

If you wanted information on how to fix your Ruby's broken foot, where would you first look if you were new on this forum?
Yes, yes, and what if that damage occurred during missionary, doggy style, cowgirl, photoshooting...
(and be it just because people want to know for the fun of sensationalism)
And then let's do sub-sections depending on if the owner is male or female...
(other gender and accociated physical strength may make this useful)
Next, sub-sections depending on distance to manufacturer : 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000 miles, overseas
(may help to evaluate if someone else could be less of a nut with this type of repair)
And "general location" for those from overseas : other continent, moon, mars, pluto...
(less gravity for our alien friends makes lifting and repairs easier, allows totally other techniques)

:wink:

Bianca
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by Bianca »

Vanessa wrote:Yes, yes, and what if that damage occurred during missionary, doggy style, cowgirl, photoshooting...
Next, sub-sections depending on distance to manufacturer : 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000 miles, overseas
(may help to evaluate if someone else could be less of a nut with this type of repair)
Deusbot gives logical argument here:
deusbot wrote:Mods and repairs are task/problem focused, and while having the most specific info is nice, being able to backup under the same task and see what others might have would be better than having to go to each seperate model. In my mind its easier if all repairs were in one bucket, but each seperated further.

The web is a hypertext system, you could have a subforum link under each model that links to the task based subforums, or vice versa. It's about finding what you want and need no matter where you are.
Also, I point out that in the old days they used to put sidewalks in parks where they wanted the people to walk. Now they put them where they know people will walk. That way they only have to do them once ;)

The number of mod, maintenance and repair topics in the individual forums is significant enough to tell us that this is where the members expect to find brand specific information regarding these tasks. All we would be doing is making it much easier to find, because the search function is a bit overwhelming to some. Do you ever use the index of a book or magazine to find the section you are looking for, or do you just start at page one and leaf through looking for the article?
xxxooo Bianca
COVERDOLL
Galleries at ...
Coverdoll | Doll Forum

darcmyst
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by darcmyst »

I'm for making anything better ...It seems logical if a guest comes to TDF , wheather they know something of what they want or not ( as I was ) they're going to the dolls list with pictures ( we always look for pictures ) and browse through the manufacturers . Only makes sense to tie the builder to the buyer with hyperlinks to mods , repairs , ect from there .
The site isn't so confusing that with a little paitence and curiousity you can't find the neighborhood your looking for .

darcmyst
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by darcmyst »

TDF reminds me of Linux . It's gooy but tou need to now a little bit about where your going in order to get there .
But , if you cant get there all you have to do is ask for directions and you'll get them from a dozen people .
TO the TDF staff , , you've done a great job and I trust you all do do what You feel is best for the site .
Thank You

Joe Bin
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Joe Bin »

Vanessa wrote:
midiman wrote: ie.

Realdoll Forum

Ruby13 Forum

Dolls in General

Yes, yes, and what if that damage occurred during missionary, doggy style, cowgirl, photoshooting...
(other gender and accociated physical strength may make this useful)
And "general location" for those from overseas : other continent, moon, mars, pluto...
(less gravity for our alien friends makes lifting and repairs easier, allows totally other techniques)

:wink:
That would certainly narrow down the search :wink:

INFORMATIONS