SexDollAmerica.com

Be aware of your GPS meta-data in images

Read about the latest TDF news here. Have an announcement that you would like to make? Here is the place to do it!
Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Be aware of your GPS meta-data in images

Post by Nescio50 »

TDF promotes to share doll pictures, we love to see the pictures of your dolls.
Also TDF understands that privacy is important to our members.
When uploading pictures members should aware of the risks of sharing pictures, this includes the image itself but also metadata that is saved within the image file.
Metadata may include the date of a picture, the equipment used, camera settings, and also GPS data of the location of the picture. Many modern cameras and especially smart phones include GPS data in the metadata of an image.

If you don't want to share metadata, or specifically GPS data, please remove this from your image file before sharing.

Most image editing software is able to show and edit/remove this metadata, even Windows Explorer makes it easy to remove all or some of the metadata (go to file properties).

symmes

Re: Be aware of your GPS meta-data in images

Post by symmes »

Here's are some articles on this subject, with examples of how to remove EXIF metadata, or prevent GPS data from being recorded, on a number of programs and platforms:
Note that, with my camera and the GIMP, I need to remove not just EXIF metadata, but also XMP metadata, to keep GPS metadata out of saved image files. You might need to test whatever method you use to be sure it's doing what you want.

Another point is that most cameras produce images of a certain orientation by default (say, landscape orientation), and if you turn the camera on its side, the image is still stored in the native format, with an EXIF tag to rotate it. This works fine in most programs, but when the image is embedded in a forum post, it may not be rotated. This is why so many posts on this forum include photos that seem to be rotated -- in fact, they are not rotated, but they should be! Loading the image into an image editor and re-saving it is likely to fix the problem; the image editor will rotate the image and then save it without the "rotate me" EXIF tag. Again, you may need to experiment to get it right.

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

Personally, I like the meta data in my images, except GPS data. I just turned-off the GPS function of my camera.

And about removing this data if it's in your files, Windows (10) really makes this easy: in the Explorer go to File Properties, Details and there's a link to go to a window to remove selected properties.

AnonViking
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by AnonViking »

I warned TDF management about this over a year ago after I discovered GPS EXIF tags in gallery photos.

Safest solution would be to implement an exif-stripper for jpg files on the tdf gallery, so photos aren't served with any privacy shattering data. It's a one-liner code. The exif info serves no good purpose at all, it's just pure garbage.

I also have an exif-viewer in my browser so I can double check if any of my uploaded photos contain unwanted details.

You can configure your phone camera to not include gps. Also u can shut down gps on your phone. But I find sometimes that these get enabled again, possibly after accidental presses... or some other reasons.

Agent D

Post by Agent D »

Greetings -
On Mac OSX equally easy - open image in preview hit Inspector - And it will show you all the Metadata - go to GPS tab and it will give you the option to delete location information. Although I agree, stripping all data at the Server level when uploaded would be by far the best.

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

AnonViking wrote:Safest solution would be to implement an exif-stripper for jpg files on the tdf gallery, so photos aren't served with any privacy shattering data. It's a one-liner code. The exif info serves no good purpose at all, it's just pure garbage.
I'll discuss this in management.

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

You guys may be able to do that? I will check my phoneto see if i have turned that off in my camera.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

Anung Un Rama
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary
Location: The Dollsmith..hanging out with the Un Rama band on the Central Coast Of Oz! Life is gigs and jams!

Post by Anung Un Rama »

Nescio50 wrote:Personally, I like the meta data in my images, except GPS data. I just turned-off the GPS function of my camera.

And about removing this data if it's in your files, Windows (10) really makes this easy: in the Explorer go to File Properties, Details and there's a link to go to a window to remove selected properties.
:thumbs_up: Plus 1 from here too...too easy...

Anung

THE UN RAMA'S

Lilith Un Rama - RD She Devil Custom Bod 10 (DOLLMILF and TDF Doll Queen)
Natasha-RD Classic - Bod 6
Lexi-BT 3 (C) Star Bod 3 Gel butt & boob implants
Lorelei-SANHUI 165R cup my custom elf head 007
Emerald-R13 custom
Tammy-PIB IG -Bella Head
Ayla-WM dolls - 155cm DD cup model
Jessica Jade-PD - 163cm, Penelope fitness version .
Mazzy M-JY/AS Doll 166cm fitness model
Pearl-JY150cm Fantasy Fitness my design
BaBs-PD 158cm Mega Boobs doll
Jessie-TB Deluxe-Jessica Model
Danny-YL Dolls-128cm Kylie model
Gypsy Kate-WM 140cm D cup head #36
Dommy-SANHUI 65cm Mini silicone doll
Mini Dolls lots!
My designs: PD 160 cm FBB Motoko Kusinagi GITS, She Demon Agony & 150cm Fantasy fitness Pearl

Fantastic Plastic
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Fantastic Plastic »

Now you tell me! Oh well, mine was on. Now what?

Agent D

Post by Agent D »

Greetings -

In the past I would have said - user beware, end of conversation. But in this day and age I place a greater burden on Sys Admins to protect user data and information, even (and mabey especially) when the user is not aware they are displaying it. And I would hope TDF is working on a solution. That said, I for one am grateful to the TDF Management and moderators for the phenomenal job they do maintaining the decorum of this site. In my experience, It's practically unheard of to have a (mostly) public forum where moderators maintain an environment such as this. (Especially given the topic.)

So, I hope TDF is able to address the issue and come up with a reasonable solution. If they do not, well, I will still enjoy the many benefits of this wonderful outlet, effectively free of charge, without hesitation or lessening of respect for the fine people behind it. But I would ask that other users join this conversation to let TDF Management know if this is an issue to you, or not.

Thanks,

space pirate

Post by space pirate »

1 line of code needed to do this server side. It is described in the php manual: http://php.net/manual/en/imagick.stripimage.php

it is good to keep the icc profile (color) as described in the comments though; 3 lines!!

LovesBlackWomen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by LovesBlackWomen »

What about a film camera?

Agent D

Post by Agent D »

Greetings LovesBlackWomen -
Well, if your like OlmanOz and still use a Kodak from the 50's then you're probably safe. The only thing you've given away is the fact that you're as ancient as the hills. :D Speaking of which, I have a mint condition Fujica ST701 if you're interested.... :-)
Fujica ST701.jpg
Fujica ST701.jpg (861.08 KiB) Viewed 15941 times

Fantastic Plastic
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Fantastic Plastic »

Thanks, this is funny, signing off now...........

INFORMATIONS