www.beautiful-dolls.com

165cm Dagmar loose/damaged leg

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to Beautiful Dolls
Mr_Cthulu

165cm Dagmar loose/damaged leg

Post by Mr_Cthulu »

Hi making a post here to ask if folks around know how to repair 165 dagmar dolls, specifally where the areas of the skeleton is concerned. I'm asking since a good while back trying to pose her I noticed a rattle in her left leg where the knee joint is and it started to wobble quite a bit and this was when I had her about a week since she arrived in late April. Not thinking much of it and during one posing session she had an accident. So far I've limited her to very light poses and 'fun'. I'm concerned since it would mean a possible loose bolt and other things. Honestly Its only been a few months and I'd hate to just leave her in a box forever. So if anyone could tell what to do that'd be very helpful.
Attachments
blue area is what I think is the 'pipe' connecting the knee joint. The one in red is the loose and rattling knee joint going up to the mid thigh area.
blue area is what I think is the 'pipe' connecting the knee joint. The one in red is the loose and rattling knee joint going up to the mid thigh area.
area of concern.jpg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 3109 times

LuvAnimeGirlz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 165cm Dagmar loose/damaged leg

Post by LuvAnimeGirlz »

I'm not sure if these photos will help since the arm on the 160cm Anime Deluxe was loose and I decided to tighten up the connectors. I think the legs should be the same, but you'll probably want to verify with someone else on this. Also, I'm not sure how to get the skin bodysleeve off down past the chest area. The arm area worked barely. I think the material is a little more stretched than before now though around the shoulders.

Skin layer, fabric to enclose foam, foam layer, metal skeleton.

If i recall, there were no washers between the frame and the hex bolts. If I recalled, I used some superglue to re-glue the foam back together (not sure if this is the best way, but it was what I had at the time). The bolts on my anime deluxe were not all that lose, but there was some play between the joint connecting to the upper and lower arm frame sections. Perhaps the hole that the bolt goes through has some extra space between? In either case, I tightened it up what I could, glued the foam back, and then sewed up the inner fabric (which is not as good as factory since I couldn't quite achieve the same flatness on the seams). Then I pulled the skin back over.

I probably have the same issue on the anime deluxe (2016 model) but on the arm.

Hopefully the pictures help a little bit to give an idea of what's below (FYI they are in reverse order and I only took pictures up to the cut Sewing back up will probably vary based on your sewing skills. There's still some play at the joint, so I'm not sure if this would fix the problem entirely. I would love to see if someone has checked down to the frame level, but since the foam is glued to the metal, this may be a bit more tricky (note the foam/adhesive residue on the metal in the pictures that I included).
Attachments
2 Hex bolts visible near elbow cut.  Note there are no washer
2 Hex bolts visible near elbow cut. Note there are no washer
_IGP7301.JPG (786.21 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
Anime deluxe fabric doll foam cut at elbow
Anime deluxe fabric doll foam cut at elbow
_IGP7300.JPG (778.66 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
Anime deluxe fabric doll below fabric skin
Anime deluxe fabric doll below fabric skin
_IGP7299.JPG (750.38 KiB) Viewed 3036 times

Ikan
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Ikan »

Maybe you can ask the vendor that you buy from?

Newbie98

Post by Newbie98 »

The only thing I can offer is that the outer skin is stitched to the under layer in varying points to hold it secure. On my deluxe the entire butt and crotch seam on the outer skin was stitched to the body and was a pain to sew up, and I have pretty decent stitch skills. Without creating a new seam that might be the route you have to go, remove the outer layer. The inner fabric layer is a little easier to deal with and isn't one piece. If I remember right, each extremity is made up of a couple of pieces, sewn at the joints, which would make access easy at the knee. I dismantled my 160cm 2nd generation deluxe, but I don't recall how the knee was made (might be irrelevant since the Dagmar is a newer skeleton)

Mr_Cthulu

Post by Mr_Cthulu »

Newbie98 wrote:The only thing I can offer is that the outer skin is stitched to the under layer in varying points to hold it secure. On my deluxe the entire butt and crotch seam on the outer skin was stitched to the body and was a pain to sew up, and I have pretty decent stitch skills. Without creating a new seam that might be the route you have to go, remove the outer layer. The inner fabric layer is a little easier to deal with and isn't one piece. If I remember right, each extremity is made up of a couple of pieces, sewn at the joints, which would make access easy at the knee. I dismantled my 160cm 2nd generation deluxe, but I don't recall how the knee was made (might be irrelevant since the Dagmar is a newer skeleton)
Thanks I really appreciate the suggestions/advice though I am already in the process of removing the thread around the chest, belly button, butt, and insert area.

Mr_Cthulu

Post by Mr_Cthulu »

I'll be honest removing the stitching seemed a little more tedious and slightly harder than I though the stitching along the seams were very fine and tight. Also I'm willing to give put an effort into attempting to repair the loose area my only concern so far is confidence and my amateur sewing skills and based on the skin removal the re-stitching will be the hardest part of this.
Attachments
Skin removal.jpg
Skin removal.jpg (377.71 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
area of concern 1.jpg
area of concern 1.jpg (277.16 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
area of concern 2.jpg
area of concern 2.jpg (408.8 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
Loose area.jpg
Loose area.jpg (356.57 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
suggested opening area.jpg
suggested opening area.jpg (392.54 KiB) Viewed 2935 times

Newbie98

Post by Newbie98 »

Looking good. Looks like the seam in the hip on the inner layer is your best access, unless you want to cut the inner skin around the knee and then just stitch that part up. Might be easier than trying to restitch the inner skin in the joint. My experience is that the inner skin layer is tucked in beyond the seam around the tops of the joints.

*Inner skin being the white layer*

Mr_Cthulu

Post by Mr_Cthulu »

Question, when you made the incision did you also have to glue back the inner foam as well? And from what I saw in your postings you made opening along the seam lines, is there anything else I would need besides restitching?

INFORMATIONS