Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Can Realdolls rust from having a bath?

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to RealDoll, including RealDoll2, Wicked RealDoll and BoyToy

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

eyegottu
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Can Realdolls rust from having a bath?

Post by eyegottu »

I read that you could get the skeleton rusted and messed up from bathing. I was hoping to take a steam shower / bath with mine

james1969
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: Do Realdolls Need Showers To Keep their silicon from dry

Post by james1969 »

eyegottu wrote:I read that you could get the skeleton rusted and messed up from bathing. I was hoping to take a steam shower / bath with mine
Ive not experienced rust on mine, just keep the mouth, vagina ass plugged temporary while bathing, thin plastic bag or even packing foam i use from my dolls carton or tape her up. don't try standing her the weight of the doll plus all that slippery soap,water and gel could cause a slip, you don't want to be catching a heavy doll under those conditions, you both could be injured! :evidence:

AlexKnight
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Re: Can Realdolls rust from having a bath?

Post by AlexKnight »

I've split your question from that old 2012 thread into a new one.

When water enters the body through the neck, neckbolt hole, or other tears/fingerpokes she might get, then yes, the skeleton will most likely rust.

When in a steam shower/bath, the air gets saturated with water in gas form which can condensate on the doll, so small amounts of water can get inside her.

A regular shower or bath is fine as long as no water can get inside her, but I personally wouldn't chance a steam shower or steam bath.
Check out Kayla's Christmas dress by clicking here. - December 17, 2015
or have a look at Ashley's Coverdoll release by clicking here - June 13, 2015

A must-see video on Realdoll softness! Click here!

Here's my Doll Album, with pictures of Jenna*, Melissa*, Kayla & Ashley, and some other things: Doll Album Gallery
*I no longer have Jenna or Melissa.

Anassilao
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Anassilao »

I agree with Alex.
The skeleton can rust for much less.

I had a poor experience with her, due to my lack of experience with the silicone dolls.
Early, I used the water to lubricate the insert during insertion.
Well, a small tear allowed water to enter between the insert cavity and the hip and I had to replace the hip joints, so it was rusted after one year.
Now I use isopropyl alchool for insert and everything goes well.

I told you this story to explain you water is the main enemy of realdoll skeleton.
Then, during a bath, if the water enter through the hole of neckbolt, it can rust the spine and damage the skeleton of doll.
For this reason, I am used to do a shower to my realdoll, instead a bath, and I cap the neckhole with a lot of cotton, to avoid the water enter accidentally in doll,
and still I am careful to avoid water in neck zone, I put a little quantity of water, during shower.
It's a very important caution.

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

A skeleton can rust with water who enters through a hole (neck hole) or a tear (finger poke, foot plate poke) of any size in the outer silicone shell or a tear in one of both cavities.
What you need to know is that not only water drops can corrode the skeleton but also condensation who occurs from fast temperature changes. Example: on a cold winter day you plan an outside shooting and after finishing your work you bring the doll back into a good heated room. The same will coming up when moving the doll from a hot area onto a very cold room. You can follow such condensation effects on bare metal parts and I'm sure exactly this will occur with the skeleton parts and badly some items are made of steel like the friction-charged hinges who will start rusting.
Better leave the doll from the bath hub and only use water sparingly and with great precaution as mentioned from other members. Another thing to take care is the formation of mildew spots caused by humidity as that's very bad for the dolls body.

Guy

Anassilao
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Anassilao »

I am an engineering and I have not seen parts of steel in a such skeleton.
All metal parts of skeleton are made in very bad metal.
If a skeleton is made in steel, how can rust? :D
It's the egg of Columbus :D

The problem is the quality of skeleton.
The vendors are forced to made it in normal metal, so the cost and the weight are important factors.
A doll is a dead weight, then she can't have an aerospace skeleton, is not a cyborg :D

But the customer should be more advised on this, to avoid mistakes and bad discovery during use of doll.
Maybe a more careful writing of instruction booklet would avoid this problems.

Chrissy
Doll
Doll

Post by Chrissy »

To avoid a rusting skeleton I suggest a sponge bath! It's fun too!! :whistle:

havefun
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by havefun »

Chrissy-68 wrote:To avoid a rusting skeleton I suggest a sponge bath! It's fun too!! :whistle:
Yes Chrissy it's more fun giving you a sponge bath. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DarkOne
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by DarkOne »

Try a sponge bath with just 2" of water in the tub with the doll ontop of you in your lap. Keeps the doll out of the water, keeps you nice and warm and gives you access to water to pour over her and a place for excess water to go.
Every day people remind me why I like dolls better.

CantKeepDoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by CantKeepDoll »

Any steel components within the doll should realistically be made of stainless, which should resist rusting pretty effectively. Plus, the doll's outer skin should prevent most (if not all) of the moisture from reaching any of the metal components. It's not something I could concern yourself with unless you intend to bathe her in saltwater.

DarkOne
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by DarkOne »

CantKeepDoll wrote:Any steel components within the doll should realistically be made of stainless, which should resist rusting pretty effectively. Plus, the doll's outer skin should prevent most (if not all) of the moisture from reaching any of the metal components. It's not something I could concern yourself with unless you intend to bathe her in saltwater.
Should yes, but with reports of realdoll owners here (Anassilao) saying their realdoll rusted from just using water as an insert lube, I suspect not unless they have changed over to stainless since that doll was made.

Stainless costs more, is harder to weld, machine and common stainless steel fasteners are not nearly as strong as the higher grade alloy steel fasteners (that also cost less then the stainless steel ones). Stainless only real advantage over steel is that it does not rust.

It only takes one finger poke or vagina tear to let water into the skeleton and good luck getting it out afterwards.

Vanima
Doll
Doll

Post by Vanima »

Plus stainless steel is made by inserting normal steel into an acid bath which alters the chemical composition of the outer layer of the steel. It also reduces the tensile strength of the steel which makes it easier to bend and shear off. So more expensive, harder to weld, lower tensile strength vs rust resistance on a body that isn't supposed to be immersed in water anyway...
Vanima (Vani) En'wen Me'a
Elven High Mage

Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful--just stupid.)

ROBERT A. HEINLEIN, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

My Photo album My photo thread My main thread
-karpos's wife and little angel

DarkOne
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by DarkOne »

Vanima wrote:Plus stainless steel is made by inserting normal steel into an acid bath which alters the chemical composition of the outer layer of the steel. It also reduces the tensile strength of the steel which makes it easier to bend and shear off. So more expensive, harder to weld, lower tensile strength vs rust resistance on a body that isn't supposed to be immersed in water anyway...
Nope, Stainless steel is made by alloying 10% or more chrome into steel before its cast/rolled into shape. The acid bath used on stainless is passivisation of the surface, removing iron from the surface to prevent it rusting leaving just chrome on the surface layer. Also not all stainless steel alloys completely resist rust from water, and many don't resist salt water corrosion.

The problem is the two most common alloys of stainless steel, 304/316 are not as strong as a lot of the common alloys of steel you can get, especially in fasteners. There is also galling problems with stainless steel, you don't want stainless on stainless joints, so things have to be designed explicitly to use stainless steel, you can't just swap in stainless and say its rust proof now.

The more exotic an alloy you use, the more it costs and often harder it is to weld/machine, so using more exotic stainless steel alloys is not a great idea either. Neither is using a large range of the aluminum alloys due to fatigue problems in a lot of those alloys. The alloys that are good for strength and fatigue often have very poor weld-ability too. Ever wonder why aircraft skins are still riveted on? Its because the high strength alloy they use can't be welded.

Acid dips used on steel would be a phosphate coating and those only offer some rust resistance. a common example of this is gun bluing. Has to be kept oiled and reasonably dry to really offer any rust resistance.

So while it might be nice for dolls skeleton to be made of stainless steel, I would not have anything against any manufacturer who uses steel. Regular steel alloys are easy to work with, high strength (for many) and most importantly most are very high fatigue life, they can take massive amounts of flexing without there total strength being compromised.

It would take a rather large redesign for any doll maker to successfully change the material they make their skeleton out of.

Vanima
Doll
Doll

Post by Vanima »

DarkOne wrote: Nope, Stainless steel is made by alloying 10% or more chrome into steel before its cast/rolled into shape. The acid bath used on stainless is passivisation of the surface, removing iron from the surface to prevent it rusting leaving just chrome on the surface layer. Also not all stainless steel alloys completely resist rust from water, and many don't resist salt water corrosion.
Duh, you're right. :oops: An Acid bath is what you use to clean and shine stainless like he did with used kegs the summer K worked at the brewery.
Vanima (Vani) En'wen Me'a
Elven High Mage

Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful--just stupid.)

ROBERT A. HEINLEIN, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

My Photo album My photo thread My main thread
-karpos's wife and little angel

INFORMATIONS