sexyrealsexdolls.com

When choosing a camera.......

No matter how great your camera might be, it is how you apply your skills that makes the difference between an OK shot and a great shot. Here you can talk technical, talk creative, share your techniques, lighting, and digital editing. This is where we can all help each other to take better photos.
If you post a photo here and are looking for a critique, you should be prepared for honest criticism even if it hurts. It will only help to make us better photographers.

Moderator: Swan

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Great camera comparison site with high end mannequins.

Post by mytime »

Hi all,

I found this image resource site, I think its wonderfull for us.
IMO great for comparing camera's, maybe especially for us.
They make use of high end mannequins in the demo photo's.
Could come quite close to our dolls I think.
And its IMO too what a lot of us wants to know: how a camera performs when making photo's indoor, thats what most of us do don't we?
They have a lot images of almost all camera's, e.g. Canon Powershot G10, Canon 450D, Nikon D60, Nikon D90 and so on.
I was quite impressed about the Canon Powershot G10, a compact, it does quite good pictures IMO and is easy to handle.
I'am bit dreaming about a Nikon D90, and I know a bit better why (that thing makes quite proffesional pictures as it looks to me).
Any way I'am still new to this kind of stuff, but IMO we are spoiled today due to the situation that is going on with photo camera's. Nikon and Canon are competing and the output is IMO the most wonderfull photo camera's and they become more and more affordable.
Any way fun comparing.

comparing:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
site:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Mytime & Helen & Carmen
One dream, one mission...

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Cheap camera great photo's

Post by mytime »

Hi All,

This is a nice site, got it from my boss, who likes photography.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

This guy photographs everything with a Nikon D40, an older model SLR that is available at very low prices (they sit here for 300 euro with a 55 mm kit lens) at the moment.
Also interesting for e.g. Canon G10 owners (he likes that compact a lot too)

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi All,

If honest, and overthinking it, its a nice link but I have some doubts.
If you put e.g. a D40 (2006) beside a D5000 (2009) then 3 years camera development are shown.

The D5000 has the following the D40 lacks:

1) dust removal system
2) stabilisation in the lens (maybe this can be solved by buying another lens)
3) a lcd screen that is movable
4) 6 megapixels (D5000 = 12,3 mp, D40 = 6 mp.
5) New technology that reduces low iso noise

If you need that, then you will not come around with the D40.
Although I believe he is right with that the most important factor in making photo's is the creativity of the user, I think its not a good idea to use that as an argument to bluntly advice a camera that is 3 years behind in technology.
What the problem is I think, that one can make outdoor phantastic photo's, even with a shoe box. But indoor when light is poor one may/will need the better techonlogy.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

Elle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Elle »

Hi Mytime,

my 2 cents of Euro ;)
mytime wrote: 1) dust removal system
Only useful if you often change the lens (dusty environment). my camera has this option but the seller told me that it's a tricky operation which should be preferably done by a professional.
2) stabilisation in the lens (maybe this can be solved by buying another lens)
Photography of dolls often need a tripod. Maybe for the customers who suffer Parkinson (just kidding).
3) a lcd screen that is movable
I got one with my previous camera, that's a great option for a camera when you take the photo by looking at this lcd screen, you can create original centrings and position the lcd screen so that the sun doesn't bother you. But most of the SLR cameras only use the lcd screen to show you the photos already taken and the differents menus. You can't take photos by looking at the lcd screen ! (still possible for some).
4) 6 megapixels (D5000 = 12,3 mp, D40 = 6 mp.
A few years ago, 6 mp slr cameras were for professional only and they took excellent photos with them ;)

In my opinion, the quality of the lens is more important than the options of the SLR camera (aperture, brightness). Hope this helps

Jihan & Elle
__________________ ALL DOLLS ARE WELCOME... SUBMIT YOUR DOLL TO THE MATRIX __________________ My Website
ImageImage

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Elle,

The Nikon D40 is a bargain today and its small and easy to handle and cost here only 300 euro if one buys it trough the internet.
I think you are right and most of us get an excellent camera for that price that does everything one needs.
On the other hand, if one needs modern featutes like the ones I mentioned above, then one may fell short with this one.
Further if one absolutely needs an autofocus motor in the camera this one is the wrong one too (pick up a D90 then).
I agree with you on the tripod when photographing dolls I use it a lot, in difficult situations (long shutter time) even with the timer to avoid that the camera vibrates due to the manual shutter release.
Last but not least, youre right on lenses, having more available and light sensitive ones especially will do a lot.
One can eventually look here to find out what the photo's from all camera's look like:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Mytime & Helen & carmen

Elle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Elle »

Hi Mytime,

I agree, buying a Nikon D40 for 300 euros (including a 18-55 mm lens, i guess ?) is a real bargain ! Don't hesitate, particulary if you already own some Nikon lens. I bought my Canon eos350d for 300 euros including a Sigma lens when the Canon eos 450D was new and advertised and it was a bargain :)

Your link is great to compare pics taken by different cameras !
Cheers,
Jihan & Elle
__________________ ALL DOLLS ARE WELCOME... SUBMIT YOUR DOLL TO THE MATRIX __________________ My Website
ImageImage

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi Elle,

Yup the D40 is a bargain now, but probably not for long any more, it goes exit soon now I think if the remaining stock has been sold.

The D5000 is a more modern camera, maybe a better choose if you have the money and can afford only one camera. Ken rockwell admits this if you read his site carefully.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000.htm
On the other hand, is it handy to buy a van if you only need a car.
And on the other hand, 300 euro for a brand new camera with a really good 18-55 mm lens... is really fun isn't it?

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

Elle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Elle »

mytime wrote: And on the other hand, 300 euro for a brand new camera with a really good 18-55 mm lens... is really fun isn't it?
Yes it is. And i noticed that one year after a good bargain, we can resell the item for the same price we bought it (on Ebay for example). That's cool !

Cheers,
Jihan & Elle
ImageImage

zazakell
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by zazakell »

My Canon Powershot A85, gave up after two years. Too expensive to repair.

I now have a new Sony Cyber-shot. 7.2 megapixels.

I'll see how this one lasts.
Honi soit qui mal y pense. (Shame on those who think evil of dolls)

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi all,

If one really needs a ton resolution or very good technology then the 3 year old technology of the D40 maybe a problem.
But I think its a good buy for a lot people, but it is an SLR, not a compact.

Zaza, I hope that Cyber shot does the job for you and last longer than 2 years. (2 years is short!).

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi all,

If one keeps reading that Ken Rockwell guy his stuff, one seems to learn.
He has a lot nifty tricks that may be usefull for us.
He uses a Nikon SB400 flash, which can be turned, one can bounce the flash against the ceiling by turning it 90 degrees. The flash will not "make the doll blue" as usual, but it will light the doll quite nice.
What this costs? 84 euro LOL.

He says you don't really need more than the D40 with the 18-55 mm lens, but if... in poor light...and without flash, there he uses a 35 mm f 1/8 lens in bad light conditions, yes this cost some money (aprox 200 euro).
That thing could come in handy for doll owners maybe.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

Incrediwagon
Ex-Member

Post by Incrediwagon »

I bought a Nikon D200 last year. Now according to Ken Rockwell it's a relic. They are already up to the D700 But I can't afford that now. I would rather spend the money on some lights. I think the D200 works well enough for me.
Red Heads Rule!

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi Incrediwagon,

Look if one wants the best then a D3 or the Canon ID MKIII stuff will do, but it comes all at very high cost, and is heavy full frame stuff.
One needs too very expensive lenses to justify such expensive body!
The D700 is less expensive and smaller but still an expensive and quite heavy full frame camera.

The D700 is from the D200 a big step upwards from a DX to a full frame.
I wonder if one who makes some photo's for hobby needs that, its semi prof or prof stuff.
I think a D90 which is DX format is max. one like me, needs if starting photographing dolls, (and going the Nikon way).
I think even you will like that D90 to be honest, it has inherited a lot D3 technology
Ken Rockwell advices even a lot less, he advices a D40 to almost everyone.
I think one will come quite far with it, and it will do its job well in maybe 95-99 % of my work.
Ken has a D3 in the cupboard for the 1-5% he can not do with the D40.
Thats the thing that makes me doubt little, the extra megapixels and technology of e.g. the D90 or the D5000 is nice then (the D40 is only 6 MP its not so much, there are cellphones with more MP's ).
Its 3 year old technology, coming at less than half the cost of the D5000.
On the other hand a D40 will beat every cell phone, lol, and perhaps all or almost all compact's too, and is not big, its a very small DSLR handy to take with you, one can buy it with a 18-55 mm kit lens, and that lens seems to work great too.
And if I see what that guy puts out with the stuff its nice.
Knowing how to use it, and being creative is probably much more important than having the best camera, thats also what Ken Rockwell says and why he advices that D40 so often.
If I see your pictures then I can see that you use a good DSLR too, and that you know how to use it, its nice stuff.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi All,

I made the decision, and shot the bullet trough the church to use a Dutch saying translated to English :D.
I choosed to go the D40 way.
I compared images at the imageresource and found out that the D40 does great.
Maybe its due to that it is only a 6 MP camera that the images appear sharp to me (the pixels are bigger so not much noise).
I may have some limits when doing big posters but I don't do them to be honest, and thats why I thought I'am best off with this one.
Else I think I would have went with a D90 (nice stuff IMO, it has an autofocus motor which the D40 lacks, if you want to use older Nikon lenses this is the one for you).
I'am bit into the Nikon stuff due to that a lot people around me use it, handy to ask questions if needed, but I'am not wanting to say that Canon is not good with my choise for Nikon.

I set out with:

Nikon D40
AF-S 18-55 mm VR
Hoya 52 mm UV protect filter standard series
Nikon SB-400 compact flash

The SB-400 can be turned 90 degrees to let it flash against the roof, that way the lightning is much softer, and the flash does not make the object e.g. a doll look flashy (I hope).
This gear is according Ken Rockwells advices, although he says the normal 18-55 without VR would as good as the VR if one use auto settings of the camera. Maybe I use bit longer shutter time now and then then the VR helps me to keep the image sharp if I don't use the tripot and its only 50 euro more.
The Hoya filter, also adviced by Ken, is to protect the lens and will also make the image little better, for 20,99 euro I thougt best get it.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen

TheConnoisseur
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by TheConnoisseur »

I am sure you will like the D40 plenty, Mytime.
I have been using the D40 for almost 2 years, and it does great :D
For the money, I don't think it can be beat.

I bought a D90 a few months ago and love it- I just need to get a VR lens for it, someday.
The main thing that I have noticed that the D90 does
better than the D40 is that the really, really low light pics come
out less grainy. Since I like doing those kind of shots, it is
working out well for me.

TC
Sincerely,
TC

INFORMATIONS