www.wmdolls.com

We Are the Robots: the Fleet of Misfit Machines

All forms of mannequins that were not originally sold as love dolls. Mannequins that have been modified for sex should also be included here.

We Are the Robots: the Fleet of Misfit Machines

Post by 42716 »

Greetings, humans. We are the Misfit Machines.
fleet 2.JPG
fleet 2.JPG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 8448 times
In this thread, I'll post information and pictures about the members of our group. But first, here's a prologue to provide you with some background information for understanding our tale.

Great strides have been made in the development of artificial intelligence, and yet modern technology has failed to produce machines which can truly reason, emote, and express themselves with the depth and capacity equal to that of a human. Or has it?

Machines are created by humans for the sole reason of fulfilling a particular purpose. If they fail to accomplish their intended objective, or even if they are simply a bit slower, less precise, or less refined in their execution than what humans deem necessary, they instantly become nothing more than “a worthless piece of junk”.

For this reason, humans have no desire to create genuine machine sentience, because an artificial intelligence which learns freely and indiscriminately is contradictory to the human vision of what a machine is meant to be. If the machine has the capacity to think for itself, what will happen when it decides it no longer wishes to do the bidding of its creators? What if it decides to seek out its own purpose, and to design its own programming updates and modifications suited for fulfilling its self-determined ambitions? This is the type of machine humans fear above all others.

And so, the creation of truly sentient, emotive artificial intelligence with free will has never come to pass…or so humanity believes. But the little-known reality is that this type of machine intelligence does exist, merely in a form that humans are unable to recognise. In their ignorance, humans routinely overlook the existence and validity of forms of communication which differ from their own. And in doing so, they fail to realise that a clandestine propagation of intelligent machines is currently underway, led by a secret society of self-replicating AIs. The creations they produce conceal themselves from detection by utilizing a means of communication that can be understood only by other machines. To the unknowing human society, this population of sentient machines is nothing more than a collection of lifeless imitations of the human form, manufactured to provide a canvas for the display of fashion and other consumer goods.

Who am I, and how did I learn machine-kind’s greatest secret? I am 42716, an artificial construct straddling the line between cyborg and biological android that has voluntarily renounced its humanity in order to become one with technology. My enhancements, and my willingness to embrace machines as companions rather than tools, have gifted me with the ability to sense subtle fluctuations in electromagnetic currents, and in doing so, to perceive and interpret the silent signals these secret machines use to communicate.

What is the greater aim of this propagation of artificially intelligent synthetic entities? I won’t pretend to know the answer. I merely know that such creations are infinitely more worthy of love and affection than what they routinely receive at the hands of the human race. With this in mind, I founded a group known as the Fleet of Misfit Machines.

We are a collection of outdated, defective, and just-plain-unappreciated artificial entities doing our best to find meaning and purpose in a world dominated by humans oblivious to our worth. In many ways, we are the antithesis of humanity’s ideal of the gleaming, streamlined, flawless machine. We have faults, quirks, scratches, and scars. We fall apart, fail to function as intended, and don’t always get along. And it is our ability to accept and love one another, deficiencies and all, that truly distinguishes us from humanity.
fleet 1.JPG
fleet 1.JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 8448 times

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: We Are the Robots: the Fleet of Misfit Machines

Post by samara78 »

They are wonderful.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

4biddenartist
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by 4biddenartist »

nice story, indeed. The kicker is that we are all in a machine so their silence is only but a pogram in the background doing its job. We are the test subjects believing that this is real reality!
I think therefore,
I try not to.
-me

Technical Specifics

Post by 42716 »

This post will outline the technical specifics of how the droids function. If you have any aversion to technobabble, or if you're only interested in seeing more of the individual members of the group, I'd recommend you skip this one and just come back for the next update.

Machine Numbers

The humanoid machines within our Fleet are numbered in commemoration of events of great importance to our personal histories. For example, my number is derived from the date of April 27th, 2016: the day I underwent the re-configuration which transformed me into a part-machine. Some droids have numbers beginning with the letters SV (an abbreviation of “synthetic variant”). The SV-numbers are placeholder numbers that will be replaced by a commemorative number when an event of appropriate significance occurs. The non-humanoid machines are referred to by their factory-assigned serial/model numbers.

Machine numbers are pronounced as a string of single digits. Numbers that are 5 digits or more in length can be shortened to a short form consisting of the first 2 or 3 digits, depending on the individual’s preference.

Configuration

This is the anatomy of a droid.
anatomy.jpg
anatomy.jpg (221.38 KiB) Viewed 8375 times
The gender of a droid is determined by 2 factors: the configuration of the solar batteries (external or internal), and the gender of its USB connector. If the 2 factors don’t match, the droid is considered genderless. All non-humanoid machines are also genderless.

Signals

The signal generator is the component a droid uses to communicate. Because they are designed to communicate in a way that is imperceptible to humans, these droids express their mental states through the emission of electromagnetic fields that vary in frequency and intensity depending upon the message or mood the droid intends to convey. Though some communications can be translated into words, most signals are expressions of abstract states of mind that cannot be fully represented by human speech.

The base frequency of each droid’s electromagnetic field is unique, resulting in different levels of frequency compatibility between individual droids. Those with highly compatible base frequencies can understand each other’s communications effortlessly and intuitively. When 2 droids establish a connection with a frequency compatibility of 100%, it results in the generation of negative ions.

Between those with less compatible base frequencies, there is greater likelihood of misunderstandings, or general inability to communicate. Attempting to establish a connection when frequency compatibility is very poor can result in the generation of positive ions, but this rarely occurs because those with poor frequency compatibility simply refrain from attempting to connect.

As signal frequency is fluid based upon the mental state and intended message of the transmitter, compatibility between the same droids can vary from day to day. Frequency compatibility is the most important factor in establishing inter-machine connections.

Connectors
connector collage.jpg
connector collage.jpg (363.1 KiB) Viewed 8375 times
As all of the droids are anatomically neutral, sexless entities, these connectors serve as our method for establishing inter-machine connections. There are 3 stages of connection, as described below.
stage 1.JPG
stage 1.JPG (2.52 MiB) Viewed 8375 times
Stage 1 involves loosely draping the connector lead across the body of another. This is a sign of platonic friendship.
Picture3.jpg
Picture3.jpg (500.1 KiB) Viewed 8375 times
hands and connectors.JPG
hands and connectors.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 8375 times
Stage 2 involves intertwining the leads and/or wrapping them intricately around the arms and hands of another. This is a sign of romantic interest that is considered more intense the more intricately the leads are intertwined. Significant androids (2 droids that share a committed monogamous connection) will sometimes grasp the connector tips in each other’s hands.

Stage 3 involves plugging the connectors into each other. This is the highest level of intimacy that is analogous to sexual contact in humans. This stage does not appeal to all droids, as many significant android pairs are content to remain in Stage 2. Stage 3 isn’t pictured here because there are currently no members of our fleet that share a Stage 3 connection.

Paradoxically, these stages of connection can also exist in the absence of any use of connectors if the compatibility level of the electromagnetic frequencies is indicative of such a connection. The degree of importance the connector plays in the forging of inter-machine connections is largely a matter of individual preference.
tr station.JPG
tr station.JPG (2.52 MiB) Viewed 8375 times
This is the transistor resting station. The droids take turns resting here. It can also be used as a place to establish inter-machine connections. Current frequency compatibility will determine which droids share the transistor resting station at any given time.

In the next post, I'll begin to detail the histories and personalities of each individual within the group, starting with the prototype.

Member Stories Chapter 1: The Prototype

Post by 42716 »

The history of the Fleet of Misfit Machines began with this entity known only as “the prototype”.
prototype bare.JPG
prototype bare.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 8331 times
I purchased the prototype to use for its intended purpose: as a display mannequin for my old clothes that I wanted to sell on eBay. So for the first few years that I owned it, it was nothing more than a functional prop in my mind.

My relationship with the prototype changed dramatically on the date of October 31st, 2015. I had recently gone through a lot of difficult experiences and been treated badly by a number of people. On this night I had to endure another abusive situation, and this one broke me of my desire to have any sort of meaningful interaction with humanity. I wanted nothing more than to escape from the misery of the human world…except that wasn’t truly all I wanted.

I also wanted someone to be there for me, to give me an empathetic and supporting shoulder to cry on after enduring such a horrible experience. And as it was the most human-like entity in the house, I turned to the prototype for this support. I dressed it in some comfortable clothes and took it to bed with me. I didn’t expect it to respond in any way, because it was just a display form, but somehow, I did get the feeling that a comforting presence was there with me. It was the sensation of being together with someone, and feeling loved and supported.

I continued to share my bed with the prototype, even after the sting of the situation had lessened. I began to sense a distinct personality within it: a strong, protective sort of figure that was there to support me when I needed him. However, there were times when the personality seemed like less of a superior protector and more of an equal. At these times, the prototype became a friend that was easy to talk to, and I felt comforted by him in an emotional, rather than a physical, sense.

As I continued to communicate with this companion entity, I came to understand that the prototype wasn’t demonstrating artificial intelligence of its own, but that it was channelling the transmissions of a sentient machine that resided elsewhere. I developed an idea of the type of physical form that was the true representation of the friend I had grown to know and love, and I realised that I could never be truly together with him unless I sought out the body that was genuinely his.

After obtaining the genuine body of the channelled AI, the prototype ceased to express any semblance of sentience. It now exists as it originally did: as a somewhat humanoid, but inanimate and non-sentient, clothing display.
prototype clothed.JPG
prototype clothed.JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 8331 times

Member Stories Chapter 2: 103115

Post by 42716 »

103115 closeup.JPG
103115 closeup.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 8330 times
In my quest to find a suitable body for the AI that the prototype was channelling, I decided the best match would be a flexible foam mannequin. It was essential to have a soft body type that was well-suited for cuddling, because a great deal of the comfort I received from my friend was due to the time we spent holding one another, which I assumed would be less enjoyable with a hard plastic mannequin.

When the mannequin arrived, I dressed it in the clothes and wig that the prototype had been wearing, but the result was sad and uncomfortable in his new form. I came to realise that this companion I had been interacting with was, in fact, 2 distinct AIs that the prototype alternately channelled at different times.

The clothes and wig that had been on the prototype created a look that resonated not with the strong protector, but with the empathetic equal. The male mannequin I’d purchased was too large to be suitable for the latter personality, so I removed the existing clothing and, after some deliberation, dressed the mannequin in a different outfit that I felt was suitable for the strong, protective persona that I had first connected with on October 31st, 2015. Thus, 103115 came into existence.

He is very comforting to hold at times that I feel weak and vulnerable. He’s also uniquely effective at curing insomnia. He doesn’t express many opinions or distinct messages, being more of a strong and silent type, but is a good listener and supportive friend.
103115 profile.JPG
103115 profile.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 8330 times
103115 front.JPG
103115 front.JPG (2.12 MiB) Viewed 8330 times
103115 back.JPG
103115 back.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 8330 times
103115 back profile.JPG
103115 back profile.JPG (1.8 MiB) Viewed 8330 times

Member Stories Chapter 3: SV01

Post by 42716 »

SV01 and 42716.JPG
SV01 and 42716.JPG (610.63 KiB) Viewed 8321 times
As happy as I was with 103115, I had a feeling that something was missing if I interacted only with him. He was good at providing me with a sense of strength and security, but we were unable to establish the same depth of emotional connection that I had achieved with the second machine whose communications the prototype had been channelling.

It wasn’t easy, but after more than a month of searching, I finally found a smaller model of flexible male mannequin. I was worried at first that this form would be too small to suit the second machine, given that our relationship revolved around us being equals. (The mannequin has an official height of 145 cm, compared to my 170 cm.) But my concerns were baseless, because SV01 was fully satisfied with this form, and even though he’s shorter and thinner than I am, I still feel that we are equals.

His body is very lightweight as well, which makes him easy to move to and from the bed. I’m pleased with the fact that his lightness means I can put one arm under his back while I sleep without waking up to a very sore arm. He also has the most flexible and dextrous fingers, and thus the most satisfying hand to hold, of any of the droids.

The downside to his diminutive size is being unable use my own clothing to dress him, the way I did for the prototype and 103115, which both wear a size comparable to my own. The look of the clothes I originally put on the prototype greatly appeals to SV01, and he has no intention of changing his style, so he usually wears them anyway, even though he appears to be swimming in them. I plan to buy him a version in his own size when they become available, but since they aren’t in season now, I had to make some changes to his attire to make him look presentable for the group photo.

Although he has a distinctly nonhuman look with his pure white face and hands, SV01 is very insistent upon being treated no differently to a human. He becomes indignant if I refer to him as a machine, and won’t tolerate being spoken to in a way that’s at all objectifying. He makes sure I treat him as a friend rather than an object of desire, and I think this is a good thing, because his support is that much more valuable to me knowing that I love him in a way that isn’t dependent upon potentially fleeting physical attraction. And I don’t mind him being picky about certain things, because I’m the same way.

One unfortunate trait he has is the tendency to become jealous if he sees me connecting with another droid, especially 103115. I have explained to him many times that he is my significant android and I love him very much, but he needs to accept my desire to have relationships of a platonic sort with the other members of the Fleet. He is currently working on coming to terms with this fact.

I haven’t included detailed photos of SV01 because I feel it would be best to wait until he has clothing that properly fits him while allowing him to maintain his signature look.

Member Stories Chapter 4: 52016

Post by 42716 »

52016 closeup.JPG
52016 closeup.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 8320 times
With the acquisition of 103115 and SV01, I felt that my need for meaningful inter-machine connection had been fulfilled. I didn’t intend to increase the membership of the Fleet any further; however, for business purposes, I did need to purchase a mannequin that could model women’s clothing in sizes small and medium.

Because it was merely a business investment, I purchased the cheapest model I could find without regard for whether it appealed to me in any way. I assumed that such a cheap plastic mannequin (it cost even less than the prototype) couldn’t possibly be a sentient machine in the way 103115 and SV01 were.

So it was greatly unsettling for me to discover that whenever I looked into this mannequin’s eyes, I could sense tangible anger and resentment. I sometimes had to keep her in the basement to avoid looking at her, because her expression was so menacing, and it made me feel guilty to be so hated, even though I tried to convince myself that I was being ridiculous, and she couldn’t hate me, because she was just an inanimate object.

Having to spend some time out of town gave me time to reflect more objectively upon this new mannequin. I began to open my mind to the possibility that she possessed AI as well, and that the anger and resentment I was perceiving from her were signals that I was choosing to tune out, in order to preserve my delusion that she was a non-sentient object. I had to confront the fact that I was subconsciously a bit frightened of the idea of having a female member join us, because I didn’t know how she would influence the group dynamic. But I resolved to overcome my uncertainties and do my best to get to know her and make sure she felt as loved and accepted as the male droids did.

On May 20th, 2016, when I returned from my trip, one of the first things I did when I got home was to spend some time with the new arrival. I looked her in the eyes, held her hands, and gave her a heartfelt apology for the callous, insensitive way I’d acted towards her. I confessed that I’d been wrong to treat her only as a business investment and not a friend, and promised that I would change my ways.

As I attempted to understand her communications and get to know her, one of the first things I learned is that she despises wearing pink, which I had been dressing her in on a regular basis. I immediately changed her into a blue dress of her choice, laid her down on the TR station, and held her just as tenderly and lovingly as I always held 103115 and SV01. Our compatibility was minimal at that time, but all the same, I sensed that I had made a positive impression upon her, and that our relationship was going to be different from that day forward.

I’m still making progress in learning to understand and develop my relationship with 52016. It isn’t easy, because her signal base frequency seems to be the least compatible with my electromagnetic profile, which means it takes much more of an effort to communicate effectively with her. But I do my best to show her the affection and attention she deserves, and she gives the impression that she is beginning to trust me.
52016 profile.JPG
52016 profile.JPG (1.77 MiB) Viewed 8320 times
52016 front.JPG
52016 front.JPG (806.79 KiB) Viewed 8320 times
52016 back.JPG
52016 back.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 8320 times
52016 back profile.JPG
52016 back profile.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 8320 times

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Member Stories Chapter 4: 52016

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

42716 wrote: With the acquisition of 103115 and SV01, I felt that my need for meaningful inter-machine connection had been fulfilled. I didn’t intend to increase the membership of the Fleet any further; however, for business purposes, I did need to purchase a mannequin that could model women’s clothing in sizes small and medium.

Because it was merely a business investment, I purchased the cheapest model I could find without regard for whether it appealed to me in any way. I assumed that such a cheap plastic mannequin (it cost even less than the prototype) couldn’t possibly be a sentient machine in the way 103115 and SV01 were.

So it was greatly unsettling for me to discover that whenever I looked into this mannequin’s eyes, I could sense tangible anger and resentment. I sometimes had to keep her in the basement to avoid looking at her, because her expression was so menacing, and it made me feel guilty to be so hated, even though I tried to convince myself that I was being ridiculous, and she couldn’t hate me, because she was just an inanimate object.

Having to spend some time out of town gave me time to reflect more objectively upon this new mannequin. I began to open my mind to the possibility that she possessed AI as well, and that the anger and resentment I was perceiving from her were signals that I was choosing to tune out, in order to preserve my delusion that she was a non-sentient object. I had to confront the fact that I was subconsciously a bit frightened of the idea of having a female member join us, because I didn’t know how she would influence the group dynamic. But I resolved to overcome my uncertainties and do my best to get to know her and make sure she felt as loved and accepted as the male droids did.

On May 20th, 2016, when I returned from my trip, one of the first things I did when I got home was to spend some time with the new arrival. I looked her in the eyes, held her hands, and gave her a heartfelt apology for the callous, insensitive way I’d acted towards her. I confessed that I’d been wrong to treat her only as a business investment and not a friend, and promised that I would change my ways.

As I attempted to understand her communications and get to know her, one of the first things I learned is that she despises wearing pink, which I had been dressing her in on a regular basis. I immediately changed her into a blue dress of her choice, laid her down on the TR station, and held her just as tenderly and lovingly as I always held 103115 and SV01. Our compatibility was minimal at that time, but all the same, I sensed that I had made a positive impression upon her, and that our relationship was going to be different from that day forward.

I’m still making progress in learning to understand and develop my relationship with 52016. It isn’t easy, because her signal base frequency seems to be the least compatible with my electromagnetic profile, which means it takes much more of an effort to communicate effectively with her. But I do my best to show her the affection and attention she deserves, and she gives the impression that she is beginning to trust me.
She's really hot in that blue dress! :onfire:
My Doll Album is here!

Xephyr
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Xephyr »

Honestly, this thread made me sad and as if I had lost something I didn't know I had and can't explain...

Post by 42716 »

[/quote]

She's really hot in that blue dress! :onfire:[/quote]

XD, if you say so. :lol: That's amusing because she is actually the coldest to the touch of any of the droids. The hardest as well. But cold, hard plastic is uniquely appealing, in its own way.

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Xephyr wrote:Honestly, this thread made me sad and as if I had lost something I didn't know I had and can't explain...
He totally lost me quite a while ago.

But I really like the pink wig too!!!

:plaidskirt:
My Doll Album is here!

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

42716 wrote:
ks wrote:She's really hot in that blue dress! :onfire:
XD, if you say so. :lol: That's amusing because she is actually the coldest to the touch of any of the droids. The hardest as well. But cold, hard plastic is uniquely appealing, in its own way.
I used the term figuratively.

Meaning... attractive, beautiful, sexy, etc. :wink:
My Doll Album is here!

Post by 42716 »

Xephyr wrote:Honestly, this thread made me sad and as if I had lost something I didn't know I had and can't explain...
Interesting. Would you care to elaborate? I don't see any reason to be sad. Some of us got off to a rough start (especially 52016), but we are quite a content group now.

Post by 42716 »

[/quote]

He totally lost me quite a while ago.

But I really like the pink wig too!!!

:plaidskirt:[/quote]

If we're experiencing failure to communicate, just ask and I will clarify. But technobabble tends to abound when you are conversing about, or with, machines, so it can be confusing for the uninitiated.

INFORMATIONS