www.wmdolls.com

Meet EVA, my new mannequin to mod!

All forms of mannequins that were not originally sold as love dolls. Mannequins that have been modified for sex should also be included here.
Fiberglass guy

Re: Meet EVA, my new mannequin to mod!

Post by Fiberglass guy »

That looks real nice! Now you have me thinking about buying her too! Have you solved the leg problem yet?

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

rubherkitty wrote:Better get cracking on that crack! :wink:
All that sweet fiberglass butt you have there and none of them done yet? 8O
Would drive me nuts. :drinking:
LOL, yeah I know. :roll:
Even my sidetrack projects are getting sidetracked.
Fiberglass guy wrote:That looks real nice! Now you have me thinking about buying her too! Have you solved the leg problem yet?
I think I have it solved, it's just a matter of implementation.
I could do the magnetic idea that I showed on page one of the thread, or I may be able to do a grooved pin with a socket that has a ribbed end that would snap into the groove in the pin - sort of a spring clip type of arrangement. I think the magnetic approach would be less likely to break or wear out though.

Jagger17
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Jagger17 »

Hi mannequinfan, You have wonderful stuff on here. im new to this forum. You mentioned you use a 3d printer for some of the parts, what type of printer do you use and does it print it smooth? Lastly do you know if it is possible to print a entire mannequin in peices? thanks !

deadpringle
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by deadpringle »

She's beautiful MannequinFan. I've had my eye on this particular model as well. Can't wait to see what coolness you have in store for her. ;)
Annie: Shirley! We were just...
Abed: About to...
Troy: Eat garbage dip!... WHY DID I HAVE TO GO THIRD?!
-- from Community - Season 4 Episode 5

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Jagger17 wrote:Hi mannequinfan, You have wonderful stuff on here. im new to this forum. You mentioned you use a 3d printer for some of the parts, what type of printer do you use and does it print it smooth? Lastly do you know if it is possible to print a entire mannequin in peices? thanks !
Hi Jagger17, thanks and welcome to the forum!
I'm using an Afinia H479 printer
http://www.afinia.com/
The prints from this machine are very high quality, but like other printers of its type, they do require some post finishing work to remove layer lines.
Some prints come out smoother than others depending on the printer settings and the shape of the part.

As far as your last question, anything is possible given enough time and money.
Theoretically it would be possible to print an entire full size mannequin in pieces, although with a maximum part size of a 5" cube, it would take an enormous number of pieces and time.
However, I was able to print an entire half size mannequin. :)

This is Abby, my 39" tall ball jointed mini mannequin. Except for her arms, she's pretty much finished.
(yes, another unfinished project :roll: )

You can read all about my printer and my Abby project here: http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46436

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

deadpringle wrote:She's beautiful MannequinFan. I've had my eye on this particular model as well. Can't wait to see what coolness you have in store for her. ;)
Thanks DP!
Like with your Jessica, I find it hard to keep my hands off of this one! :twisted: :)

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Been working on some leg connector improvements for Eva the last couple of days.
I printed out the first iteration today for the magnetic leg connection...
IMG_3248.JPG
IMG_3248.JPG (770.88 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
It definitely passed the strength test. The two neodymium magnets are hella strong - It was all I could do to pull the socket off with one hand.
I broke off all but one of the washer retainer clips wrestling with it, lol, so that part is getting re-designed. The printed pin cover worked really well.

This is the re-designed version of the socket - I'll just glue the stack of washers in on the top.
socket.jpg
socket.jpg (906.83 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
What remains to be seen is how firmly this will hold the leg to the body. Not sure if this will hold a position or just be a free rotating joint, but at least the legs won't fall off!

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Nice job.

So the magnet is on the end of the leg post?
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

rubherkitty wrote:Nice job.

So the magnet is on the end of the leg post?
Thanks RK. :)

Yep it's on the post. It could probably be the other way around, but everything would get bigger.
In order to get the full power from the magnets, the area of the steel needs to be larger than the magnet.

Another interesting thing I learned about magnets from the K&J website is that you can more than double the pull force of a magnet by having it sandwiched between two larger steel plates.
According to K&J, one of these 20.5 lb magnets would rate at 50.37 lbs sandwiched. The only thing that's unclear how large the plates are.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/largergraph. ... =RX033CS-N

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks
Guess if I would have enlarged the pic I could see the magnet is screwed on and the washers are a 3 stack. :whistle:

Interesting about the magnets. I assume they contain more magnetic force than what their surface area can distribute.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Fiberglass guy

Post by Fiberglass guy »

NICE JOB!! Maybe lessen the number of washers or magnets and less force will be required to remove the leg, although once mounted to the leg you will have more surface area to grab hold of to remove the legs... not holding a pose is a problem but minor one, she will just need support to kneel on her own I guess..

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

RK there are 5 thin fender washers in the stack - about 1/4" thick total.

Here's a cutting/drilling template that hopefully will work for the multiple hole method of making the cutouts. It will fit into the keyhole in the MQ body.
It's about 1/30th the cost of a $15 hole saw at Lowes. It also has an arbor hole for use with a hole saw.
cutting template-legs.jpg
cutting template-legs.jpg (820.12 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
Thanks FG, she actually kneels just fine with the legs relatively loose, so that's really not an issue.
My hope is that the two magnets will pull on the leg joint tightly enough so it's not terribly loose.
As you mentioned, it shouldn't be too hard to get apart when you can grab her leg and pull.
The only way I will really be able to tell is to just install it and see what happens.

Fiberglass guy

Post by Fiberglass guy »

Not that this matters to me as exposed joints don't really bother me but does this make a gap in the leg joint as it sits ontop of the plate a bit...was wondering that for some time about these joints and if they do work I will need 3 printed not 2 as I have that third leg I want to use as an alternate! There's a third leg joke in there somewhere...refining that head mechanism tonight as I have shop to myself for once this month!

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Fiberglass guy wrote:Not that this matters to me as exposed joints don't really bother me but does this make a gap in the leg joint as it sits ontop of the plate a bit...was wondering that for some time about these joints and if they do work I will need 3 printed not 2 as I have that third leg I want to use as an alternate! There's a third leg joke in there somewhere...refining that head mechanism tonight as I have shop to myself for once this month!
LMAO @ the third leg! :lol:

The existing metal joint plates on the MQs are actually inset just a little which is what gives them the tension when you lock them together.
The flange on the new socket is very thin - about 1/16", I think it should work OK without causing a gap.
To install you'll need to build a small wall up around the inside of the hole with epoxy or Apoxie putty for a strong connection. The socket has a groove around the base that will give a mechanical lock when the epoxy sets around it on the inside. Just relying on the flange connection alone won't be strong enough.
This should be much easier for you if you're doing the adapter mod at the same time, as you can get to the inside of the leg joints from the large adapter hole.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Don't know if this makes sense. Just something to consider for magnetic joints and attachments.

A small centrally mounted magnet like you did for Eva's legs should allow it to swivel more than a equally strong, but flatter magnet having more circumference. Consider Nikki's arm magnets being 2-3/8" wide. They really stay in place wherever you place her arms. Not sure how thick they are as they were factory mounted.

INFORMATIONS