Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Engadget visits RealBotix

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

deusbot
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Engadget visits RealBotix

Post by deusbot »

Engadget visited Abyss and made a front page entry! 8)

A generally good article that may answer some questions (and raise others).
:evidence: https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/11/rea ... ny-valley/

Near the end the author admits that Harmony had him hooked from startup to until the lip sync gave her away.
As she wakes from sleep and opens her heavy lids, I'm instantly mesmerized. Her eyes are incredibly realistic, a perfectly balanced hazel color with just the slightest hint of redness around the edges, mimicking blood vessels. When she blinks or smiles, her brows and the corners of her mouth move with such accuracy and agility that I hardly even notice them. If this were a real human, I wouldn't think twice. But Harmony isn't human.
0X :twisted:
My jaw falls slack and I feel a familiar tension creeping in my stomach. It's the same one I get as I approach the peak of a roller coaster, unsure of what terror lies on the other side. And then she opens her mouth; she begins to speak and I'm transported back to reality. Her jaw is jittery and the voice coming out of the small JBL Bluetooth speaker behind her doesn't sync with its movements.

Overall I think the whole article is positive and I think that even the final is pretty good since lipsync and audio in general will only improve with time. (or we can ask for a mute button so "words don't spoil the moment..." :P ) As to the uncanny valley everyone has a different reaction and threshold, just like roller coasters. I seem to remember a Davecat quote:"Yea, the uncanny valley ... I know it well. We have a vacation home there!"
Artificial Intelligence is the study of how to make real computers act like the ones in the movies -Anon

The questions you ask determine the discoveries you will make - db

selobl
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: Engadget visits RealBotix

Post by selobl »

+1 mute button. The facial expressions and emoting look incredible :D :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Synobyte07
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Synobyte07 »

I'm really glad that Engadget put Douglas Hines and his imaginary company TrueCompanion.com in their place. Roxxxy was a farce from the get-go. Engadget totally went off on this Doug character and ultimately dismiss the whole Roxxxy concept. After two paragraphs of dismantling the company, they end up comparing Roxxxy as looking like a wax figure of a young Shelly Duvall that was left out in the sun. 8O :lol:

Btw, it's good to see your alive and still kickin' Deusbot. :D
"Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice." Zoetrope

deusbot
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by deusbot »

Thanks for remembering! Been busy on certain ... er... projects. :whistle: Things that keep me up late at night but off the streets.

I remember Doug Hines and Roxxxy. His problem is he needed another year but got committed to a no refund AVN visit (which ate up a lot of his ready cash), and then either didn't or couldn't stop the hype snowball once it got rolling. I remember him saying at the end of AVN that he needed to get with one of the other manufacturers like RD or Ruby to get a good art finish, but alas that just never happened.

On the lines of "whatever happened to" in my travels over the past few years I actually met Tabo-san from Dolldataroom.org ! There was lots of speculation when he stopped updating the site suddenly around 2010(?) that he died or was killed in an accident. Turns out as best I could understand from him is he had a stroke! However he has been making a recovery over the years and tries to makes annual visits to the doll manufacturers. I need to post that on a separate thread for those that might care. For what it is worth I do know he has been watching and is a fan of the project.
Artificial Intelligence is the study of how to make real computers act like the ones in the movies -Anon

dollguy

Post by dollguy »

Here the real question? Who going to be the genie pig and drop 10k? That is a major investment to majority people and be the first one tends to fall flat somehow. Think back when the first hdtv came out,you needed a convertor box and the cost was crazy. Now,you can get one under $200.

Under no circumstance would i be the first,second or 1k buyer. I would wait till version 5 or higher. By then,the cost would drop drastically and all the major bugs would be worked out.

deusbot
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by deusbot »

Fortunately for every 1000 "wait for the well delimited guaranteed experience" shoppers there's always at least one pioneer early adopter ready to brave the frontier and write the review. :drinking: Without them you wouldn't get the jump start or the eventual economy of scale that allows tech to improve while allowing prices to drop. Someone's gotta find version 1.0 cool enough and can afford it for there ever to be a version 2.0 let alone 5.0. But it definitely makes sense if you're on a budget and don't have a problem waiting for the most of the bugs to get worked out to wait.

I remember as a kid listening to some Ham radio operators talk on the air about tech: "Was it worth it when you got it? 'Cause next week its gonna be on sale, improved or discontinued. Always. And if you wait you for better you might not get anything." And that was back in the 80's! Compare getting an Ipad 1.0 years ago versus getting a knock off tablet today. I got an old Asus Transformer 101 when it first came out, and its has given years of service, and I've loved the form factor. Now there's been lots of tablets that's newer and fancier and bug free, but I got years of work and fun out of it. I got some "time value" from being an earlier adopter in that case (but then again I've had some practice over the years). Would I get similar value out of Harmony 1.0 (whatever she ends up being?) Maybe. I probably need to get a new doll soon anyway and the few years of fun in-between might add up to a net win for me. I can understand if you've had bad luck with new bleeding edge stuff before. In any case I would have to see how she develops :painting: to make that final call.

dullahan
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dullahan »

Thank the doll gods for early adopters. Us regular folk can just wait until they've beta tested all the new products and then get the next generation models.

To me, the facial expressions aren't yet good enough to warrant the price, especially the lip sync was very apparent in many of the Harmony-videos floating online. But unless people take the plunge with the first iteration, the research and development can't continue.

So let's hope there are enough brave people to get the first gen Harmony!
TRY MY SEX SOUND APP WITH YOUR DOLL!

http://dullahanprojects.com/plaisonar/

Works with all HTML5-compatible phones. Just press the pink button and shake your phone!

App Discussion: http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=45

mvcuk1
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by mvcuk1 »

Just watched this. Looks like the first steps to a Doll with AI like the female robots from the Westworld tv show. The lip syncing needs work but the fact that the doll is speaking to you makes the doll more realistic.

I think this is the logical step for doll companies to make dolls more realistic with personalities so you can talk to them and still have sex with them at your own convenience.

If I had the money I would buy a real doll without the AI as they look awesome and are very realistic as they are!

INFORMATIONS