Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Advice on Getting a first Doll

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

upsux
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Advice on Getting a first Doll

Post by upsux »

Grats on the decision, tired.

If you need ANY questions answered with regard to clothing size please PM me. I made a ton of bad purchases prior to Taylor arriving because the sizes they give are not 100% accurate. Anything I can do to help out, just ask!

tired
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tired »

Upsux: Thanks for the well wishes! I wish you the best with Taylor. PM sent, but still shows in Outbox??? I am interested in the info. I am not getting the boob upgrade, so there will be a slight difference.
Realdoll2: Body: C; Face: O (Olivia); Skin Tone: Medium; Eye Color: Hazel Green (Veins); Eye Shadow: Slate; Eye Liner: Light, Black; Hair Color: Light Brown; Hair Style: 702; Nail Color: Red; Lip Color: Red; Pubic Hair: Shaved; Removable Vaginal Style; Special Options: Eyes with Veins; Light Red Nipple Color; Extra Eyes Blue/Grey (Veins); Duracast hands and feet
Faxed Order Date: 11/26/2014; Actual Order Date 12/2/2014; the "Doll is Ready Call" 3/23/2015;

Rocky-DollStacey
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Rocky-DollStacey »

Congrats on your order Tired, your lovely doll should arrive around the same time as my new doll (Olivia config.2) that I ordered Last Friday. You've made a nice selection with the body C and your spec are great! The body C is getting a lot of love recently and for good reason. The wait time can drive you crazy, but if you fill that time with planning for her arrival like stand construction and storage it help pass the time. Clothes shopping also help just be careful as it can be addictive with all the stuff you can get for her.

doll ar bill
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by doll ar bill »

Hello all! Glad to be apart of this forum! Finally since it is about that time i get a doll since the deal is killer $1000 off!!! But im in need of advice sadly-im trapped between a custom realdoll2 Laila! Which i want to look like katniss everdeen from hunger games (she looks alot like her in my opinion) or the realdoll 2 olivia with the tanned skin and dark eye liner that dodgeman mentioned earlier in the forum-my other option was a bt doll but decided against it - what yall think can you help a man out!

tired
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tired »

doll ar bill wrote:Hello all! Glad to be apart of this forum! Finally since it is about that time i get a doll since the deal is killer $1000 off!!! But im in need of advice sadly-im trapped between a custom realdoll2 Laila! Which i want to look like katniss everdeen from hunger games (she looks alot like her in my opinion) or the realdoll 2 olivia with the tanned skin and dark eye liner that dodgeman mentioned earlier in the forum-my other option was a bt doll but decided against it - what yall think can you help a man out!
Bill, welcome! Having been in your situation recently...my thoughts...pick a body style you LOVE because that will be the most expensive component. The faces are interchangeable and a fraction of the price of doll body. ($550 for an extra face). You can then switch the faces. You can contact Abyss to further customize your doll's makeup to look more like Katniss Everdeen in a particular scene from the movie. Be sure to have a particular photo of the makeup and hairstyle you want.
Realdoll2: Body: C; Face: O (Olivia); Skin Tone: Medium; Eye Color: Hazel Green (Veins); Eye Shadow: Slate; Eye Liner: Light, Black; Hair Color: Light Brown; Hair Style: 702; Nail Color: Red; Lip Color: Red; Pubic Hair: Shaved; Removable Vaginal Style; Special Options: Eyes with Veins; Light Red Nipple Color; Extra Eyes Blue/Grey (Veins); Duracast hands and feet
Faxed Order Date: 11/26/2014; Actual Order Date 12/2/2014; the "Doll is Ready Call" 3/23/2015;

tired
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tired »

Rocky-DollStacey wrote:Congrats on your order Tired, your lovely doll should arrive around the same time as my new doll (Olivia config.2) that I ordered Last Friday. You've made a nice selection with the body C and your spec are great! The body C is getting a lot of love recently and for good reason. The wait time can drive you crazy, but if you fill that time with planning for her arrival like stand construction and storage it help pass the time. Clothes shopping also help just be careful as it can be addictive with all the stuff you can get for her.
Congratulations on your new doll. I'm trying to minimize clothes shopping because I am worried about proper sizing. My doll stand is pretty much finished; I bought a heavy duty speaker stand, just need to construct an appropriate hook. I am looking at wigs too because I am less likely to have fitting problems.

tired
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tired »

I spoke with Anneette at RD today to "tweak" my order. She was very pleasant to work with. I am sure she is quite busy with new orders from their Cyber week deal. To give my doll a more youthful appearance, I will be changing from Light Tan to Medium skin tone. She sent pictures of the two nipple colors on medium skin as a comparison. I will also change from Hot Red to Light Red nipple color; looks more "natural" on a Medium skin tone.

I am sharing my experience in the hopes that it may help future purchasers. It is difficult to spend $6K on a luxury item, with a fairly lengthy weight time. In someways it is comforting that there should be time to tweak your order before manufacturing begins. I also learned the Body C is less popular than some other body types, which means fabrication of my doll will begin sooner, compared to a more popular body type. It makes sense presuming Abyss has a fixed number of molds of each body type to manufacture dolls. Fabrication on my doll could begin as early as two weeks; not a precise estimate.

I also found out that additional faces take 3-4 weeks. To change the look and save money; she pointed out that they sell replacement eyes for $45 and eyes with veins for $70. The change of eyes and wig can have as dramatic of a change as changing the face.

tired
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tired »

I spoke to Annette @ RD again today. I received the two photos below to show the comparison of Hot Red vs. Light Red on Medium skin tone. Obtained permission to post the pics here.

I also learned that the artist who does the doll faces will lighten up the makeup on the entire face if you choose "light" eyeliner. I changed skin tone from Light Tan to Medium since powdering is no longer necessary (which lightens the dolls). Also changed nipples to Light Red. With that change, the traditional vaginal insert was close to Light Red already, so I changed to traditional insert, which gave me a $25 credit. Which I will use for a second set of eyes: Blue-Gray with Veins...so I will pay a little more, but am happy about it.

I also learned that the body contouring is enhanced with "low lights" and "high lights" to emphasize countours. They also add veins to the feet to enhance realism, highlights around knees, elbows, under breasts, etc.

There is about 3-4 weeks before my doll actually goes into production, but they are beginning to do things like order wigs, pour nipples, etc. Annette was a pleasure to deal with.
Attachments
Body Color Comparison.jpg
Body Color Comparison.jpg (83.2 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
Light Red.jpg
Light Red.jpg (28.95 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
Hot Red Nipple.jpg
Hot Red Nipple.jpg (29.77 KiB) Viewed 1693 times

tired
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tired »

This is the stand I built in preparation. It is a heavy duty speaker stand from eBay. Got a 3/8" hook bolt from a hardware store. Total cost around $35. Reaches a height of about 7 feet; obviously won't use it at that setting. Looking forward to seeing how it works.
Attachments
Stand 005.JPG
Stand 005.JPG (791.1 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
Stand 004.JPG
Stand 004.JPG (808.64 KiB) Viewed 1686 times

tired
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tired »

Since my doll is still in the queue, I decided to get the Duracast upgrade for both the hands and feet for another $400. It was difficult to justify the additional cost, but if I intend to have the doll for a lifetime, I hope the added expense will be worth it.

Duracast is a more durable silicone used to prevent finger pokes and foot plate issues. The hands and feet are poured separately, then somehow joined to the main pour so that the appearance is unnoticeable in a photograph. In the future, the Duracast may become a standard feature on RD2.

orlan

Post by orlan »

This is a really great thread. It took me 14 long years before i finally pulled the trigger on buying a RD. And there was no way that i was gonna short myself and get a boytoy or a torso. Don't get me wrong they look great but, i would not have been happy in the long run. So i ordered a RD2 and it was almost 8k with discount of 1000. Bros don't short yourself get what really catches your eyes and upgrade it to make it perfect for you. Also ordered a Your Doll Shael elf. at 2400$ its a steal in tpe. ill get that one much sooner then the real doll and will get some practice with it moving it around etc. There are very nice looking dolls around 2/3 k that are amazing. But as for me Real Doll Makes the most realistic looking dolls on the market. I don't wanna get a boy toy doll and end up kicking my self in the butt in 3 weeks cause i wanted a rd2.

siliconelover
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconelover »

Matt's Boy Toy Dolls are One of a kind and have well established their place within the doll world. They are some of the finest dolls manufactured and are the forerunners in skeleton technology to todays RD 2's.

orian, I understand that you in the end want a more 'realistic' depiction and sculpt of a woman, but I assure you, Boy Toy's are as 'realistic' as it gets !

"and my eyes open and close"
SEX, DOLLS and ROCK & ROLL

tired
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tired »

orlan wrote:This is a really great thread. It took me 14 long years before i finally pulled the trigger on buying a RD. And there was no way that i was gonna short myself and get a boytoy or a torso. Don't get me wrong they look great but, i would not have been happy in the long run. So i ordered a RD2 and it was almost 8k with discount of 1000. Bros don't short yourself get what really catches your eyes and upgrade it to make it perfect for you. Also ordered a Your Doll Shael elf. at 2400$ its a steal in tpe. ill get that one much sooner then the real doll and will get some practice with it moving it around etc. There are very nice looking dolls around 2/3 k that are amazing. But as for me Real Doll Makes the most realistic looking dolls on the market. I don't wanna get a boy toy doll and end up kicking my self in the butt in 3 weeks cause i wanted a rd2.
Orlan, thanks for the compliment on my thread; I tried to compile information I was looking for in one thread and document my thought process in the hopes of helping others. I understand what you mean. It was hard to "pull the trigger" for such a large luxury item; especially where I have never seen a doll in real life yet. I considered the BoyToy option to save $$$, but they would have been a little short for my "taste."

BT's seem to have the same features I was looking for in RD2, primarily the removal vagina. But some BT's look a little like anime women (nothing wrong with that; there are some hot anime women!). I think BT's were designed that way intentionally. Matt (Abyss) states on the BT website that RD were designed to be "real"; in comparison; BT's were designed to be "unreal" (very petite women with big boobs). The BT business model seems to cut production costs by standardizing more features, which allows a quicker delivery time and lower cost.

Full respect for SiliconeLover; he has a cute BT doll and we are all attracted to certain characteristics in women that we see in these dolls. The dolls don't come with the "psycho-woman" aspect of dating women.

siliconelover
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconelover »

tired wrote:The BT business model seems to cut production costs by standardizing more features, which allows a quicker delivery time and lower cost.
Actually, because BT's are their own brand manufactured at their own facility Phoenix Studios, they are able to be produced quicker due to demand compared to your RD 2 which is manufactured at Abyss along with all the other ReaLDOLL models that are available. The line is much longer at Abyss which equals longer production and wait times.

I don't believe they are more standardized, same choices and options as in all their dolls.
SEX, DOLLS and ROCK & ROLL

Rocky-DollStacey
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Rocky-DollStacey »

Hey Tired that's some nice information and pics you have provided and I'm certain it will help potential buyers.

Not to discourage you, but I too purchased a heavy duty speaker stand that looks pretty much identical to yours when I first got my doll. Mainly because it looked alot like the RD stand Abyss sells. Needless to say It did not hold up to the weight of the doll. Luckily it didn't fail all at once so I was able to discard it without damage to my doll. Looking back I now realize a speaker stands weight limitations are determined by the weight of a speaker distributed on the top center of that stand, however if a doll is hanging from the neck-bolt on that stand it's weight will put stress on the lower outside of the pipe causing it to bend and fail. Seeing as your Body C doll is taller and only 5lbs lighter you will have to extend the pipe even higher than I did which could cause it to fail faster.

After that I decided to just make my own by purchasing some very strong conduit pipe and fittings from my local home-improvement store. It's 100x stronger and the materials were actually cheaper than what I paid for the Speaker stand. All in all I made a mistake in order to save a little money and it could have ended up costing me dearly in damage to my doll. Luckily it didn't but I just wanted you to be aware of my situation with the Speaker Stands because the pipe material is actually very thin and weak, I'm sure the RD stand is built with stronger materials. Please be cautious of that stand, I would hate for something bad to happen to your doll.

-Rocky

INFORMATIONS